Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1.    #1  
    Just curious...does the Treo Pro use NVFS? If so, is Windows Mobile more stable on NVFS than Palm OS was? The frequent resets and the occasional complete erasure of all data on the 650/680's was very worrisome...

    Also, while A2DP is explicitly stated on the specs for Treo 800w, the spec page for Treo Pro does not indicate A2DP streaming audio. I assume that Pro will also handle A2DP via Bluetooth, but I just wanted to confirm this.

    Thanks.
  2. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #2  
    I think nvfs is for palm os only and that winmo phones use a windows file system like probably fat or maybe fat32.
  3. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #3  
    I think ad2p for winmo is just a driver update if there's a newer bluetooth chip in it.

    (not certain though)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    I think nvfs is for palm os only and that winmo phones use a windows file system like probably fat or maybe fat32.
    But even the Treo Pro running Windows Mobile has some sort of flash-based non-volatile storage, correct? If the battery drains completely on the Treo Pro, is there any data loss?
  5. Q
    Q is offline
    Q's Avatar
    Posts
    686 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey View Post
    But even the Treo Pro running Windows Mobile has some sort of flash-based non-volatile storage, correct? If the battery drains completely on the Treo Pro, is there any data loss?
    IIRC, Palm adopted flash-based storage (on devices running Garnet) in part because that was becoming the standard. Offering it on half/two-thirds of the product line and not on the rest, without some sort of explanation, just wouldn't add up. And considering that the Treo 700p and w/wx were designed to share as much, component-wise, as possible, it almost has to.

    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $hasn$'$t$ $been$ $a$ $Treo$ ($regardless$ $of$ $OS$) $with$ $a$ $removable$ $battery$ $that$ $didn$'$t$ $have$ $flash$ $storage$.
  6. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #6  
    the windows devices have flash based memory so you don't lose everything when your battery dies.

    but my understanding is nvfs is a file system not the hardware its on. so just like you can buy a hard drive and format it fat, fat32, ntfs, ext2, etc - same with flash drives or non volitale memory.

    palm uses nvfs, windows mobile uses fat I think. both on flash chips.

    beyond that- as to general stability- windows mobile doesn't impress me one bit.

    I never tried a palm winmo device- apparently they clean up the stock os- but I did have a mogul for 6 months with winmo 6.0 and it was unstable as hell. locked up every few days and rebooted every now and again. never lost a spec of data though.

    palm os is MUCH snappier, and stable then that mess.

    (again palm apparently cleans up much of the windows stock mess...)
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    IIRC, Palm adopted flash-based storage (on devices running Garnet) in part because that was becoming the standard. Offering it on half/two-thirds of the product line and not on the rest, without some sort of explanation, just wouldn't add up. And considering that the Treo 700p and w/wx were designed to share as much, component-wise, as possible, it almost has to.

    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $hasn$'$t$ $been$ $a$ $Treo$ ($regardless$ $of$ $OS$) $with$ $a$ $removable$ $battery$ $that$ $didn$'$t$ $have$ $flash$ $storage$.
    Palm added NVFS to Garnet devices almost a full year before Microsoft added non-volatile storage to Windows Mobile. In fact, I think that NVFS might have predated Palm's agreement with Microsoft to build WinMob Treos. The Treo 650 and the Tungsten T5 were Palm's first NVFS devices. So in a sense Palm was actually ahead of the pack in this respect at the price of having created a fairly slow and buggy NVFS implementation. Since then however, I think that Palm has cleaned up their NVFS bugs to the point where it causes little or no performance or stability problems. In any case, Windows Mobile uses its own system for maintaining non-volatile file storage on its devices so NVFS issues simply do not apply to WinMob devices like the Treo Pro.

Posting Permissions