Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mbloof View Post
    I hate to rain on everyones parade but:

Unless Palm underrated their battery by %15 (possible) or actually stuffed a smaller mAH cell then what could actually fit into the 800w battery shell (also possible), there is very very little chance that any replacement battery of the same size will have consistently %15 more capacity than the Palm one.

If you take the best and worst case production runs of all the Lithium Ion producers there may be a up to %15 difference in capacity in batteries of the same size.

Hardly something I'm willing to gamble CHEC on without scientific proof (using industry standard test methods) to back up their claims.

(cold hard earned cash)

Mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    This is a good point. You hear of many users having great battery life and some getting very poor. If you throw only a 15 percent increment to the mix its hard to determine the results if any. I would bet that those who were getting good battery life probably did benefit 15 percent where as those who were getting poor battery life probably got even worse battery life.
    A couple of things to point out here....

First, Palm posts the rating on their batteries. Now, granted, there will be some variation from battery to battery, but this will be fairly small (say 2-3%). Even assuming that Palm underrated their battery, the difference won't be 15%. I'd be surprised if there's a 5% difference between their rating and a "good" battery.

Additionally, there are things people can do to damage or lower the capacity on their battery. Leaving it in a hot car, running it down to 0% repeatedly, and more can all decrease the capacity.

Furthermore, physical size is a poor way to measure capacity. As an example there are several rechargeable D cell size batteries that have less capacity than an AA battery. (This is actually an intentional--and poor in my opinion--decision to try and push consumers into using non-rechargeables over rechargeable batteries.

It is certainly possible (and probable) that Seido has used different methods to increase the capacity of the battery while maintaining the size. Palm's concern will be "how much battery life can we provide while keeping the cost as low as possible." Seido's will be "how much battery life can we fit in there, and heck with cost."

I've also noticed that quite a few people are posting very shortly after they get their battery. Since the battery is managed, I suspect that it will take a while of using it before the phone realizes the full capacity of the battery, and makes use of it. As Mal and other people have posted, using it for about a week before "testing" it is ideal, and with a minimum of a week gap between tests, any opinions will most likely be quite inaccurate.

I do agree however that 200 mAh is not enough of a difference to be noticed by your average consumer.
    ok.. so seidio sent me an RMA to return that messed up battery but I am out the shipping costs. That is just wrong. If you send out a bad product, you should take care of everything.
    Sprint Palm Treo Pro
    Thats normal but I agree , ridiculous. So far I have ordred a cradle that was broken , replacment was broken, Batteyr charger broke after a week, Innocase broke after 4 weeks and Pen Stylus was defective. I sense a trend.
  4.    #104  
    Hey guys. I apologize for just now posting, but because of the recent hurricane things have been crazy around here. Many times I post from home, but I just got power back (still no internet) after 9 days.

In regards to the battery, we're still trying to figure out exactly what's going on. Someone mentioned that we've admitted there's a problem with this battery, but we actually haven't been able to duplcate any of the glitches listed here.

Every battery we've tested is working fine, but we're going to keep at it to see if we can duplicate the problem. We're also waiting on batteries from a couple of people on this forum and will test those as soon as they arrive.

This is a very strange situation considering the small percentage having issues, and that no one has mentioned this with our 2600mAh (they're identical except for capacity).

Our normal RMA process is in place until we can ascertain the exact problem. I'll keep you posted with whatever we find.

As always, if you have any further questions, feel free to email me at forum@seidio.com.

Thanks,
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Thats normal but I agree , ridiculous. So far I have ordred a cradle that was broken , replacment was broken, Batteyr charger broke after a week, Innocase broke after 4 weeks and Pen Stylus was defective. I sense a trend.
    I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with your Seidio products, but if you'll email your contact and order information to forum@seidio.com I'll see what I can do to get you taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    ...I never recieved a reply to the email I sent during the week requesting a exchange / refund. anyone hear back from them ??
    I can assure you we're answering all the emails we receive, so please post here and let me know if you don't receive a response within a day or two.

Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Hey guys. I apologize for just now posting, but because of the recent hurricane things have been crazy around here. Many times I post from home, but I just got power back (still no internet) after 9 days.

In regards to the battery, we're still trying to figure out exactly what's going on. Someone mentioned that we've admitted there's a problem with this battery, but we actually haven't been able to duplcate any of the glitches listed here.

Every battery we've tested is working fine, but we're going to keep at it to see if we can duplicate the problem. We're also waiting on batteries from a couple of people on this forum and will test those as soon as they arrive.

This is a very strange situation considering the small percentage having issues, and that no one has mentioned this with our 2600mAh (they're identical except for capacity).

Our normal RMA process is in place until we can ascertain the exact problem. I'll keep you posted with whatever we find.

As always, if you have any further questions, feel free to email me at forum@seidio.com.

Thanks,
    That was myself who said that. When I spoke with the person at your company (can't remember his name), he sounded like they knew there was a problem because he said as soon as the receive the bad battery, they are going to ship out a replacement.
    I hate to rain on everyones parade but:

Unless Palm underrated their battery by %15 (possible) or actually stuffed a smaller mAH cell then what could actually fit into the 800w battery shell (also possible), there is very very little chance that any replacement battery of the same size will have consistently %15 more capacity than the Palm one.

If you take the best and worst case production runs of all the Lithium Ion producers there may be a up to %15 difference in capacity in batteries of the same size.

Hardly something I'm willing to gamble CHEC on without scientific proof (using industry standard test methods) to back up their claims.
    Not really true. There has been a constant growth in mAh in a given volume of LiIon batteries. The device is new but the battery is a Centro battery which is about two years old in design. Palm itself prably could have gotten 15% more in the same size if it had ordered and used the latest technology. They went instead with an older cheaper off the shelf solution.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I can assure you we're answering all the emails we receive, so please post here and let me know if you don't receive a response within a day or two.
    I sent an email to you directly and to your Technical Support address on your website last Friday (4 days ago) and no one has responded.
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Hi

I tried the Seidio extended battery and door on my Treo and the door just pops off with any slight touch so I sent it back. I will wait until the 1350 is back in stock againl.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ehehat View Post
    I sent an email to you directly and to your Technical Support address on your website last Friday (4 days ago) and no one has responded.
    After posting this I got a phone call from Seidio. They did acknowledge some issues with the battery may exist and are working on a fix. They are supposed to email me when a new, updated battery is available for exchange. Thanks for the call!
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Some posts say Seidio has acknowledged an issue with the 1350, but Seidio's last post says they cannot duplicate.

What is the official status as of 9/23?

I got a 1350 last week, but have not installed waiting for official word on whether it is faulty or not.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    The phone call i got today was very "PC": "We are working on identifying issues that have been reported. We recognize there MAY be issues and are working on a fix...When a fix is available, we will contact you about an exchange"
  13.    #113  
    We still haven't been able to find anything, but I did go out to do some testing on my own this morning. I took two batteries to the Sprint store and tried them both on two different phones. I switched them every way I could, AC power plugged in, not plugged in, with the door on, without it. I simply couldn't get anything to go wrong. I do understand this is only two batteries, but these are the same results our engineers are getting after multiple tests.

If you don't mind, those of you that are having problems, can you please send an email to forum@seidio.com with as much detail as you can about what is going on.

Also, please let us know if you are running any aftermarket programs. Our tests are done on new phones without anything added.

Thanks,
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    I am on day 3 with battery. I am very impressed with the extra performance i have gained with it.

I do have a question, I notice today that when fully charged (green light it on) it at 97% and says charging. I did see 100% for the first two days so im confused.

Is this normal..?
    We still haven't been able to find anything, but I did go out to do some testing on my own this morning. I took two batteries to the Sprint store and tried them both on two different phones. I switched them every way I could, AC power plugged in, not plugged in, with the door on, without it. I simply couldn't get anything to go wrong. I do understand this is only two batteries, but these are the same results our engineers are getting after multiple tests.

If you don't mind, those of you that are having problems, can you please send an email to forum@seidio.com with as much detail as you can about what is going on.

Also, please let us know if you are running any aftermarket programs. Our tests are done on new phones without anything added.

Thanks,
    I just sent the following email to your address above:

I sent my battery back to you guys 2 days ago. I was running the OEM battery without any problems. I put your battery in my phone before I went to bed and let it charge over night. When I went to check my emails, I noticed that after a few minutes, the backlight on the phone turned off and I could barely see the screen. I couldn't get it to come back on and had to soft reset the phone. I thought this was just a fluke but it continued to happen. I also notice that my phone was locking up ever since I switched the battery.

I am now back to using the OEM battery without any of these problems. I do have some 3rd party software installed such as PhoneAlarm but have no issues with the OEM battery.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I didn't notice any outward problems with mine, other than the fact that I got back from a recent trip and I seem to have lost it when I swapped to the OEM (I had a full OEM and needed to switch because I'd been away from a charger for awhile).

One thing I did notice was that the Seidio 1350 was a MUCH tighter fit in the 800w. So I took it out (which required something stronger than the stylus) and filed down the two little tabs on the left (non-contacts) side of the battery just a tiny bit. Worked like a charm. The battery popped in and out just like the OEM battery using the tip of the stylus.

Now if I could just find the dang thing, I'd be able to run it for longer and really put it through its paces. *sigh*
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Not really true. There has been a constant growth in mAh in a given volume of LiIon batteries. The device is new but the battery is a Centro battery which is about two years old in design. Palm itself prably could have gotten 15% more in the same size if it had ordered and used the latest technology. They went instead with an older cheaper off the shelf solution.
    We can agree to disagree then. The word I have is that until 'nano' technology enhancements makes its way into production, the liIon folks have been stuck for many years, with no real improvement other than cost and yield.

As an example: My Canon NB2L batteries are many years older than the Centro/800 design and can be had by a handful to a dozen of aftermarket providers. All of which are limited to the same size, form and by all accounts, mAh.

(I can't cite any verified examples of same size aftermarket LiION batteries actually having more capacity then the original OEM ones.)

Again, no offense to the manufactures but with or without independent testing to verify their claims, personally I'll wait for some competition in the 'hump back' option and purchase accordingly.

Mark.
    (I can't cite any verified examples of same size aftermarket LiION batteries actually having more capacity then the original OEM ones.)
    How about:

http://store.treocentral.com/palm-16.../8A37A2289.htm
    (1600 mA)

to

http://store.treocentral.com/seidio-.../8A37A3466.htm
    (2200 mA)

Or

http://store.treocentral.com/palm-18...y/8A37A113.htm
    (1800 mA)

to

http://store.treocentral.com/seidio-.../8A37A2941.htm
    (2600 mA)

There are two examples of batteries that are (nearly) the same size....but vastly different capacities.

And yes, there have been many a review on either of those. They've been out a long time.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    I have been running a 1350 for a week and no issues at all with the backlight. I can't comment on whether I have noticed extra capacity because I haven't compared/analyzed to the stock battery.

Esteban
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Include me with those having problems with this battery. My 800w was perfect with my two OEM batteries. Installing the 1350 immediatly caused problems ranging from the noted backlight issue, missing Today Screen plugins, and random freezes during a reset. This is a brand new battery with a full eight hour charge per the instructions.
    Last edited by aixguru; 09/30/2008 at 10:49 PM.