1.    #1  
    I'm planning on switching my phone in the near future and I wanted some opinions regarding the 800w and how it works for the following things.

Here is what I'd like to use my phone for, please let me know if you think the 800w is a good fit.

Email

Text messaging

Surfing the web

GPS (this is a major factor for me as I'm directionally challenged)

audio books (mostly from audible and overdive at my library)

E-books

Listening to music (From what I've read BT is the way to go)

The last thing would be carrying Word documents and being able to edit them. I'm going to college part time and this would be a major bonus for me.

These last couple things aren't that important, but would be nice: sprint tv, you tube?

I know the battery life sucks, but I'm not a big business user so that shouldn't be an issue and I have an everything plan with Sprint, so an updated plan shouldn't be an issue either.

Karen
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Hi Karen.

Email - 800w uses Pocket Outlook out of the box. You can configure this to access an Exchange Server, a POP or IMAP account, and many of the web based emails such as Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc. You can do push or pull, but keep in mind it's not as "nice" as in a Blackberry. I have mine configured for pull (manual download) and I'm happy the way it works.

TXT - works nicely with one exception... you cannot do MMS. For example, you cannot send a photo via TXT.

Web - it's fast since it uses EVDO and also has WiFi. The screen is small compared to an iPhone, but using Internet Explorer or Opera, most web sites can be navigated easily.

GPS - this is my favorite feature. Works very nicely. Two things to keep in mind: 1) you must have Sprint signal for the GPS to work, and 2) if using in a car, make sure you have it connected to car charger as the GPS consumes a lot of battery (and battery is not one of the 800w's strongest points).

For the audio portion, scan through the forum. Many people think the speakerphone is not that good, nor the included headphones. I don't use mine for music, so I can't comment on this. Also, if you want to use it as your MP3 player, you will need to add a MicroSD card for storage.

Word and Excel are included and they work seamlessly with the desktop counterparts.

Sprint TV is nice. I recommend the Simply Everything Plan where you get unlimited voice, data, etc. including Sprint TV. I have not tried You Tube on mine.

Even if you are a casual user, do research the battery issue to make sure it meets your expectations/needs. It does for me, but it does not for others.

Good luck.

Esteban
    You get YouTube using the Skyfire browser.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by estebanj View Post
    Hi Karen.

Email - 800w uses Pocket Outlook out of the box. You can configure this to access an Exchange Server, a POP or IMAP account, and many of the web based emails such as Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc. You can do push or pull, but keep in mind it's not as "nice" as in a Blackberry. I have mine configured for pull (manual download) and I'm happy the way it works.

TXT - works nicely with one exception... you cannot do MMS. For example, you cannot send a photo via TXT.

Web - it's fast since it uses EVDO and also has WiFi. The screen is small compared to an iPhone, but using Internet Explorer or Opera, most web sites can be navigated easily.

GPS - this is my favorite feature. Works very nicely. Two things to keep in mind: 1) you must have Sprint signal for the GPS to work, and 2) if using in a car, make sure you have it connected to car charger as the GPS consumes a lot of battery (and battery is not one of the 800w's strongest points).

For the audio portion, scan through the forum. Many people think the speakerphone is not that good, nor the included headphones. I don't use mine for music, so I can't comment on this. Also, if you want to use it as your MP3 player, you will need to add a MicroSD card for storage.

Word and Excel are included and they work seamlessly with the desktop counterparts.

Sprint TV is nice. I recommend the Simply Everything Plan where you get unlimited voice, data, etc. including Sprint TV. I have not tried You Tube on mine.

Even if you are a casual user, do research the battery issue to make sure it meets your expectations/needs. It does for me, but it does not for others.

Good luck.

Esteban
    Bravo. Possibly one of the most concise, even-handed posts on the 800w in a while. Very refreshing given some of the recent flame wars.
    The Excel and Word applications work too well with the desktop environment. I am not a Word user, instead I use OpenOffice and I just gotta make sure I use the right format type with Pocket Excel.