Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I've just received a mail to preorder the Pro, but I have a couple of questions.

- Does the center button light up for missed calls, sms and alarm notifications?
    - Does the Backspace button also function as a Delete button if you press Option + Backspace?
    - Is there an app to get to the Option-characters (e.g. the numbers) by simply pressing and holding the key, without needing to press the Option button previously?

Thanks.
    Palm Vx (a classic) -> Palm m505 (*yawn*) -> Dell Axim (slooow...!) -> Palm TE (great) -> Qtek 9090 (great idea, lousy platform) -> Nokia 6630 (a toy) -> iMate SP3i (not bad) -> Nokia 9300 (can't sync notes!!) -> Treo 650 (awesome!) -> iPaq hw6915 (almost perfect) -> Nokia E51 (un/impressive) -> HTC Touch Enhanced (nice!) -> Samsung i780 (mousepad woes) -> HTC s740 (very good) -> Nokia E72 (RAM starved) -> HTC HD mini (...) -> Palm Pre 2
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hduty View Post
    I've just received a mail to preorder the Pro, but I have a couple of questions.

- Does the center button light up for missed calls, sms and alarm notifications?
    Voicemail messages only

I'm not sure about your other questions, sorry.

- Is there an app to get to the Option-characters (e.g. the numbers) by simply pressing and holding the key, without needing to press the Option button previously?

Thanks.
    Yes, at http://www.mobiion.com there is an app called MagiKBLite. It allows one to define all Qwerty keys as desired for either a hold down or a double tap. You choose whether you want the capital or the option character for the actions.

I use it on the Treo 750 - highly recommended
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Thanks guys.

It's kind of a waste of functionality not to use the center button for other notifications as well, it would have been very easy to do that.

That MagiKBLite is exactly what I'm after, thanks.

Now if someone could just enlighten us about the Backspace button....
    Palm Vx (a classic) -> Palm m505 (*yawn*) -> Dell Axim (slooow...!) -> Palm TE (great) -> Qtek 9090 (great idea, lousy platform) -> Nokia 6630 (a toy) -> iMate SP3i (not bad) -> Nokia 9300 (can't sync notes!!) -> Treo 650 (awesome!) -> iPaq hw6915 (almost perfect) -> Nokia E51 (un/impressive) -> HTC Touch Enhanced (nice!) -> Samsung i780 (mousepad woes) -> HTC s740 (very good) -> Nokia E72 (RAM starved) -> HTC HD mini (...) -> Palm Pre 2
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    It's kind of a waste of functionality not to use the center button for other notifications as well, it would have been very easy to do that.
    From the TreoCentral Treo Pro review:
    The center button has the same semi-rubberized feel as the main keyboard and also lights up when you have waiting voicemail. It's very subtle unless the room is dark and it's also very infrequent. It only works for voicemail, too. Palm told me that, like with the LED, they prefer the KISS philosophy when it comes to alerts. Most users don't like trying to figure out what different blinks might mean, so Palm doesn't have an indicator try to do double duty. I wonder if RIM has some sort of patent on a center button lighting up to let you know you have email waiting, because it would certainly be a welcome feature here.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Thanks for the info. But it's really a nonsense explanation on Palm's behalf.

There's no need to have a different type of color or blinking frequency for each alert, blinking simply means that you have some sort of an event pending that might be of interest to you. Period. What that event is you'll find out when you wake up the phone. That's also how LEDs in general work on WM - they are attention grabbers, not information providers.

Again, it was a bad move from Palm, at least they could have made it configurable. Hopefully there'll be a hack out which will let you control all the alert settings for the center button.
    Thanks for the info. But it's really a nonsense explanation on Palm's behalf.

There's no need to have a different type of color or blinking frequency for each alert, blinking simply means that you have some sort of an event pending that might be of interest to you. Period. What that event is you'll find out when you wake up the phone. That's also how LEDs in general work on WM - they are attention grabbers, not information providers.

Again, it was a bad move from Palm, at least they could have made it configurable. Hopefully there'll be a hack out which will let you control all the alert settings for the center button.
    You make a good point, however I get 100-150 emails per day so a flashing light to indicate I have an unread email is kind of pointless, however I only get a handful of voicemails per day so knowing that I have a waiting voicemail without having to look at the screen will be nice for me.

Clearly, the best option would have been for user configurability for either of the above, or both. I bet there will be a hack in no time though. I am sure you will be able to change the brightness, increase the flashing frequency, etc.--the folks around here are very capable. People have already written hacks for the LED on the 750 and also hacks for the screen to display numbers of vmail, email, sms, etc.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  8. jgk
    Can I please ask a couple of (potentially stupid!) questions, guys, as this may well be the phone I've been waiting for .....

1. As it's Windows Mobile, does that mean I must use Outlook as a calendar and a mail client -I hate Outlook with a passion!
    Are are there any third-party apps that I could use to replace it? No need to synchronise with Outlook - all I want is a nice way to read/send POP3 e-mails on the road - and a stand-alone calendar/organiser which I can sync with a PC copy (equivalent to Palm Desktop) to manage appointments.

2. Does this still display text messaging in threaded conversations like the Palm app did?

Thanks in advance
  9. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgk View Post
    1. As it's Windows Mobile, does that mean I must use Outlook as a calendar and a mail client -I hate Outlook with a passion!
    Are are there any third-party apps that I could use to replace it? No need to synchronise with Outlook - all I want is a nice way to read/send POP3 e-mails on the road - and a stand-alone calendar/organiser which I can sync with a PC copy (equivalent to Palm Desktop) to manage appointments.
    My thoughts were much the same. You can use Mozilla Thunderbird (with plugins like Lightning or Sunbird for calendar) and BirdieSync--or FinchSync, if you prefer--to sync to a WinMob device. I don't know if anyone's tested it yet with a Pro.

2. Does this still display text messaging in threaded conversations like the Palm app did?
    It uses WinMob's threaded text utility, rather than the one Palm designed before. Some people have said they preferred Palm's--visually and in terms of features. There are also other apps (designed to bring threaded text to devices that didn't come with it) that may help compensate for this. Whether they'll work on the Pro as they are or need updating... not yet clear.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Q; 09/10/2008 at 10:58 AM.
  10. jgk
    Thanks Q.

I think I'm now ready to make the leap away from Palm OS an away from my T650 after all these years ..... after a couple of years of frustration I'm suddenly excited about a Palm device again.
  11. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgk View Post
    Thanks Q.

I think I'm now ready to make the leap away from Palm OS an away from my T650 after all these years ..... after a couple of years of frustration I'm suddenly excited about a Palm device again.
    I'm in the same boat. The Pro is the first compelling piece of hardware from Palm in years (regardless of OS, just based on specs). I've been a Palm OS user for 10 years now... with heavy customization through software, I think the Pro is the best available choice for me on the market. (That said, there's no one device that's the "best choice for everyone," and there probably never will be.)

Btw, another thing I'm looking forward to trying on the Pro is Fennec--Firefox for mobile devices, named for the smallest species of fox. It's still in development--apparently not yet ready for a beta release, though I'll go for it in a heartbeat once it is. Looks like it's Skyfire or Opera Mobile for the meantime.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    Yes, at url there is an app called MagiKBLite. It allows one to define all Qwerty keys as desired for either a hold down or a double tap. You choose whether you want the capital or the option character for the actions.

I use it on the Treo 750 - highly recommended
    Hi,

unfortunately MagikBLite seems not working on Treo Pro...
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7ommy View Post
    Hi,

unfortunately MagikBLite seems not working on Treo Pro...
    Oh yes it does! Installed it yesterday and have been using it continuously since, improving my typing speed tremendously.

You must remember to also instal Hookmgr or whatever the other app is called otherwise you get conflict with the keylock function.
    I pointed out to you the moon and the stars, and all you saw was my fingertip.
    I hope people that don't have the treo Pro don't get worked up about this blinking light thing. It is practically useless. I mean a friend and I tested it and didn't even think it was working til we shut off the lights. When you know where to look you can see it, but at the very slow rate that it blinks it would be a miracle to see it, except in a dark car or room.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I hope people that don't have the treo Pro don't get worked up about this blinking light thing. It is practically useless. I mean a friend and I tested it and didn't even think it was working til we shut off the lights. When you know where to look you can see it, but at the very slow rate that it blinks it would be a miracle to see it, except in a dark car or room.
    I wish they wouldn't have dumped the Signal LED.
    Just call me Berd.