Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=402980
    (register to download but it's worth it)

This is one fine piece of work. It installs Opera Mini and Gmail along with Jbed in one fell swoop. Every 800w user should be mandated to have this installed. That being said I notice it can also enable Opera Mini to do copy & paste via a hotkey. This is where I need help. Who knows what the hotkey is? Do I need to install Mortscript in addition to this?
    Gmail doesn't throw the certificate error? Is the JVM newer then esmertec's?
    There are a few of us who work diligently to stay away from Java.
  4.    #4  
    Gmail runs fine and no errors. This package is set up to disable all the security warnings from java. It automatically installs shortcuts and runs Opera as if it was a native app.

Opera Mini Pros:
    I have used all the browsers for ppc (pie,opera mobile,netfront,skyfire,etc..) and nothing, nothing can touch the speed of Opera Mini.

+Pages just load instantly. Seriously its fast.
    +mobile view mode works great for most sites and has full mode if your into horizontal scrolling
    +One handed navigation is the best I've seen, just right/left for page up/down. Up/down for link selection.
    +You can use a stylus to screen scroll and link click.
    +bookmarks can be synced on opera servers. hard reset? no problem, all bookmarks still there.

Opera Mini cons:
    -Goes full screen so no icons of signal/battery meter on top. If you want to use another app without closing you have to use AE Button Plus and assign a softkey to switch to the today screen.
    -No tabs, yet. I've played with a hacked Opera Mini that had tabs. http://opera.siemens-club.org/last.html use at your own risk.
    -No native copy & paste. The point of me starting this thread was to figure out how they implemented this into this pack. I miss copy&paste more than anything.

Conclusion:
    Opera Mini while not perfect but compared to Pocket IE which slowly loads and stalls and won't even let you scroll the page while it's loading is very frustrating. The speed and navigation is what saves me time and effort of not having to use the touchscreen but giving me the ability to use touchscreen if I choose to. It's one .cab that installs several apps and it stays on my external memory card waiting for my next hard reset.
    op mini is and has been my browser of choice for some time now. It is blazing fast even compared to opera mobile. I think this new package is cool and I will check it out just for gmail even tho i dont really care about gmail ap that much anymore since i just connect to imap stores via Outlook.
    Has anyone tried a newer version of the GC Java Pack? There's a version 1.2.6 updated 9/17/2008:

- Esmertec Jbed 20080428.2.1 *NEW*
    - Opera Mini 4.1 - Build 4.1.11355 20080522
    - Gmail 1.5.0.1193 *NEW*

I installed it, but it seems buggy and unstable on my Treo 800W
    I never could get this package to work. OM freezes up when launched.

I downloaded OM and the Esmertec Jbe cab file separately and it works fine.

How is the Gmail program different than what is available through Outlook?
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I used to think that way too. Opera Mini on my 755p was no faster than Blaze browser and Java was a pain in the ***.

So when I got the 800w I never went near Opera Mini, until recently. Before that, I've tried PIE, Opera Mobile, and SkyFire.

PIE lacked features even with Pocket Plus.
    Opera Mobile is even slower than PIE (painfully slow).
    SkyFire was the best of those three. It wasn't fast—it was bearable—and it played flash! But it lacked features and was often bug ridden.

Then I tried Opera Mini, and my god was this thing fast. Opera Mini is FASTER than FireFox on my computer (and my computer is not slow by any means). It does lack copy/paste, tabs, and flash. But for its speed and decent feature set, it can't be beat.
    Thanks...I'll have to try this out. I love Opera Mini, but sometimes I need copy/paste, and have to use IE for that. I don't mind using IE for basic sites, but with large sites, it becomes a pain.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmike View Post
    Has anyone tried a newer version of the GC Java Pack? There's a version 1.2.6 updated 9/17/2008:

- Esmertec Jbed 20080428.2.1 *NEW*
    - Opera Mini 4.1 - Build 4.1.11355 20080522
    - Gmail 1.5.0.1193 *NEW*

I installed it, but it seems buggy and unstable on my Treo 800W
    Same for me. I tried the 1.2.6 as well. Seems buggy. The java freezes as soon as I hit the soft key. Anyone able to fix it?
    Loved Opera Mini on the POS Treos but it crashed a lot. Glad to see that Java is stable in WM.

Oddly Opera Mini has problems with huffingtonpost.com. It only displays the images on the first screen. None if I scroll down.
    Anybody have the older file? I don't even want to bother with the new one.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Anybody have the older file? I don't even want to bother with the new one.
    did you check the thread linked in the first post?
    Ahh...I feel retarded. I didn't notice they had both versions in there. Thanks.

Okay, now back to the OP's question...how do you copy/paste on this thing?
    Last edited by Freak4Dell; 10/04/2008 at 12:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Ahh...I feel retarded. I didn't notice they had both versions in there. Thanks.

Okay, now back to the OP's question...how do you copy/paste on this thing?
    I finally installed Opera Mini, and love it. It also works great on my Redfly. As for copy/paste, I don't think you can copy/past text on the webpage, but if you're looking to copy a URL (for example, you want to send someone a URL), then you can "add bookmark", and then highlight the URL and use the on-screen keyboard to "CTR-C" to copy, and "CTR-V" to paste.

Not a perfect solution, but I found it handy today.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    I never could get this package to work. OM freezes up when launched.

I downloaded OM and the Esmertec Jbe cab file separately and it works fine.

How is the Gmail program different than what is available through Outlook?
    not alone...
    I couldn't get GC 1.2.6 to run, I've been using GC 1.2.4 for a couple days now. Its running ok. Don't see any discernible difference between this version and 1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Why?

Java is an amazing piece of technology...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    here's the deal..

successfully installed, however when i start typing "myciti.com"

i get "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm", and so go with other letters.

i couldn't even finish typing..

yes, the keys are all fine...

also, notice the "time" in between "menu" and "delete" shows 1:13am (actual time is 9:13pm)
    ==================

ok, issues with time resolved...i just thought it was automatic..
    ===================
    both issues resolved.. i had to reinstall/update
    Last edited by PalmDM; 10/05/2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmDM View Post
    here's the deal..

successfully installed, however when i start typing "myciti.com"

i get "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm", and so go with other letters.

i couldn't even finish typing..

yes, the keys are all fine...

also, notice the "time" in between "menu" and "delete" shows 1:13am (actual time is 9:13pm)
    ==================

ok, issues with time resolved...i just thought it was automatic..
    ===================
    both issues resolved.. i had to reinstall/update
    I had the same issue: if you do into Settings and uncheck the Autocomplete, that fixes the multiple key entry. There's also a place to set the time.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast