Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    so it's not stand alone, right?

shooot, what shall we do now? have to pay extra to get data?? unbelievable!!

If I use iphone, all the GPS service is free!
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treopq View Post
    Free... except for the mandatory iPhone data plan, whether you use GPS or not. So you're no worse off using the Treo; possibly (if further tests confirm the hardware is standalone) better.
    It has been confirmed by Navyyang's posting "No Problem. TREO PRO GPS is stand alone" He/She did an excellent job in reviewing the Treo Pro, (very detailed, pictures, and comparison with other Treo and WM devices etc...) By far the best. However, the review is in Chinese (I am able to read the Chinese). But, you would still be able to look at the pictures and screen shots, specially the part with GPS, very detailed. http://www.treo8.com/bbs/viewthread....3D1#pid1540603

Good luck and have fun...
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    what about trying this with a program like Garmin XT, iGo or CoPilot?
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treopq View Post
    so it's not stand alone, right?

shooot, what shall we do now? have to pay extra to get data?? unbelievable!!

Whether it is standalone GPS or aGPS, you will only need data if you use a program that downloads maps. If you use a program with maps on your card you will not need data. You will only need a monthly voice plan if it is aGPS. You don't need any plan if it's standalone GPS.
  6. sv3
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ipsi View Post
    Hmm... A note about the price. If I were to import the Pro from the US, it would be US$550, plus about US$100 for FedEx (apparently. Good grief, but that's exorbitant). US$650, which is about NZ$1000.

Ordering from Expansys.com would be 399 if I were in the UK, but I'm not, so it's actually 340.42. Shipping is 21.95, for a grand total 362.37, or NZ$977.

Now, that's not really a fair comparison, as I'm comparing FedEx shipping prices to DHL shipping prices. Possibly doesn't include insurance? But it does show that the UK folks aren't actually paying that much more than anyone else - it's just that the government is taking a larger share .
    Good to see someone else from NZ!
    The product spec on MobileCity says TreoPro has 3G on other than 900Mhz band. Do you know if this means that the phone will not work on 3G in NZ???

Product Specification
    2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100

http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wire...d=23676&view=3
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sv3 View Post
    The product spec on MobileCity says TreoPro has 3G on other than 900Mhz band. Do you know if this means that the phone will not work on 3G in NZ???

Product Specification
    What band(s) have 3G in NZ? Most world phones use that same mix you've laid out here.
    No, the iPhone 3G's GPS is not free. At least not in the form it exists at present. Once the TeleNav GPS Navigator is out, you know, the one that you gives you turn-by-turn directions, etc., and they are working on it, it'll be at least the same price ($9.99/mo.) as it is for the others.

I could make the same argument about my GPS-enabled Blackerry 8310. If I just want to use the so-called "free GPS", I download Google Maps. No charge for that. That's equals what currently is "Maps" on the iPhone 3G.
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

9.    #69  
    Got back late last night from my trip to my parents in the countryside. reception was excellent despite the terrain except for maybe 2-3 minutes when we were in a "black hole".

I have also realized how great the screen resolution is as I can now see the difference between spades and clubs without reading glasses when I play Solitaire.

Wi-fi has also worked flawlessly.

The only problem I've had so far is my bluetooth headset that sometimes drop when I make a call. On the other hand the Pro has a choice in the In call menu where you can choose turn handsfree on or off.

I'm also liking the keyboard more and more. And as I said before, the camera is great.

M
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
    Got back late last night from my trip to my parents in the countryside. reception was excellent despite the terrain except for maybe 2-3 minutes when we were in a "black hole".

I have also realized how great the screen resolution is as I can now see the difference between spades and clubs without reading glasses when I play Solitaire.

The only problem I've had so far is my bluetooth headset that sometimes drop when I make a call. On the other hand the Pro has a choice in the In call menu where you can choose turn handsfree on or off.

I'm also liking the keyboard more and more. And as I said before, the camera is great.

M
    Thank you for posting back about reception.
    That's good news.

I kinda figured the keyboard wasn't going to be as bad as some feared.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    sv3: Far as I'm aware, 3G will work some of the time - Vodafone has 900/2100MHz bands. Really annoying. I expect it will have 3G coverage in the city, but not in the country. Not sure about the suburbs, will have to wait and see, basically. Assuming it works in the Wellington CBD, that's all I care about. Should have wifi if I'm anywhere else.

I've heard that Telecom will be using 850/1900MHz, so it will work a lot better when they finally roll out their new network, provided you can afford to change carrier.

Interestingly, the HTC Touch Pro only has 900/2100MHz bands, so if you need 3G everywhere, that's possibly a better choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post

M
    How's the Volume on the call?
    I like it LOUD!
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by sv3 View Post
    Good to see someone else from NZ!

Product Specification

http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wire...d=23676&view=3
    It seems that Treo Pro will work in NZ as well :
    http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_nz.shtml
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    How's the Volume on the call?
    I like it LOUD!
    The volume is really good! I often have to turn it down.
    Hey Marianne,

Where did you buy yours again? Directly from Palm? So far, I have it down to $480, shipped, no tax. I wonder if I can do better lol...This will be the first phone I will buy outright, and I'm always obsessed with getting a deal.

The Treo will be so much more fun knowing I got a great deal on it.

Thanks!
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

the gps and maps in the iphone isn't what most would consider a decent gps. I still can't believe apple doesn't have a decent gps app although personally i wouldn't use it much if they did.

So far, both major upgrades in the iphone 3g...3g and gps have been implemented poorly. And perhaps this doesn't apply to everyone, but i was pretty disappointed with the 2.1 patch which did nothing but supposedly fix bugs..however safari and apps still crash, and in my case Edge is a lot worse. Dropped calls at home and i never know if it will be a few bars, no service or what. No features added at all ..not even missing standard features...unless you count the genius feature in itunes (and i don't..).
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    Hey Marianne,

Where did you buy yours again? Directly from Palm? So far, I have it down to $480, shipped, no tax. I wonder if I can do better lol...This will be the first phone I will buy outright, and I'm always obsessed with getting a deal.

The Treo will be so much more fun knowing I got a great deal on it.

Thanks!
    Yes, I bought it from Palm's European site. M
    I was holding out on getting a Pro because I was planning on switching to Verizon when my ATT contract runs out it November. The rest of my family and company is on Verizon. My youngest daughter has been patiently waiting to upgrade her first phone for over 2 years and we took her to the Verizon store to get her a Samsung Glide, the phone she picked. Turns our someone in the company used her upgrade! She was devistated and of course you can't find CDMA phones unlocked. The "perpretrator" will be found out and buy out her contract, and I'll sign her up at another carrier. Not thrilled about how the CDMA phone contracts work.

That all said, I jumped and pre-ordered a new Treo Pro for me! I'll have my 750 as a spare and will unlock and sell my Blackjack to defray the cost. I just hope the browser in the Pro us more useable than the one on the 750. Navigation blows om it! Hopefully with WiFi on the pro I can get a better browser like opera and navigate a bit better.
  19. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by azlarry View Post
    of course you can't find CDMA phones unlocked
    No, though many of the Asian manufacturers in particular sometimes make GSM equivalents (though not always with US frequencies).

Anyway, glad you've got your Pro on order.
    bluetooth drop? OMG, I'm sick of 650 BT compatibility already! Don't tell me there is no good BT earphone for treo pro...
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast