Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Every time I make a phone call on my 750 it make my question palms decision to not have physical softkeys.

On my 750 I have the touchscreen disabled while on phone call, otherwise my big ears are constantly opening apps while on call.

So, While I'm on a call, all those call options like; Hold, Ignore with Txt Message, Turn SpeakerPhone On or Off, will be unavailable for me.

Another thing I think is funny, is they didn't even take advantage of that space that the softkeys occupied, It's like they originally planned on putting them there, and then at the last minute, decided not to.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Every time I make a phone call on my 750 it make my question palms decision to not have physical softkeys.

On my 750 I have the touchscreen disabled while on phone call, otherwise my big ears are constantly opening apps while on call.

So, While I'm on a call, all those call options like; Hold, Ignore with Txt Message, Turn SpeakerPhone On or Off, will be unavailable for me.

Another thing I think is funny, is they didn't even take advantage of that space that the softkeys occupied, It's like they originally planned on putting them there, and then at the last minute, decided not to.
    I just played with an 850. Not having softkeys are annoying, but one gets used to it quickly.

Surur
    I think this is a case of "form" winning over "function"

There is no perceivable gain from getting rid of them, it just looks better.

Going further, I'm still wondering when I use PIE or Kinoma Play or any other program that does "full screen" how do I get to my menus?

Seems like a pita. 2 steps forward and 1 back, oh well.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I think this is a case of "form" winning over "function"

There is no perceivable gain from getting rid of them, it just looks better.

Going further, I'm still wondering when I use PIE or Kinoma Play or any other program that does "full screen" how do I get to my menus?

Seems like a pita. 2 steps forward and 1 back, oh well.
    I never thought about that. (the full screen toggle that is)
    I just tried something with my 750.
    I went to full screen in IE, and just like you alluded, without the softkeys we can't toggle back and forth.
    Now interestingly, I can get out of full screen by switching to the today screen and back again to IE, but full screen is still checked.
    Just call me Berd.
    I'm very nervous about Palm's decision to leave out the softkeys. I was really looking forward to the Treo 850, but that design decision (along with the keyboard) is making me think twice.

I guess what I really wanted from the 850 was to be a Treo 750 with 320x320resolution, Wi-fi, GPS, 256 MB flash, 128 MB RAM, and improved camera.

Actually I think I'd be very happy with an 800w, which is essentially what I wanted, but I will not switch to Sprint to get it.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    I never thought about that. (the full screen toggle that is)
    I just tried something with my 750.
    I went to full screen in IE, and just like you alluded, without the softkeys we can't toggle back and forth.
    Now interestingly, I can get out of full screen by switching to the today screen and back again to IE, but full screen is still checked.
    You can do it without the softkeys, at least in IE. Just tap and hold for a second on the screen and a menu comes up. I know it's extra steps but at least you can do it.

Early images of the Pro/850 has Softkeys pointed out on the picture but there wasn't anything visible.
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    In Dieter's interview with Parag Gupta of Palm, "Gupta also said that the touch-sensitive region for the screen actually extended a few millimeters underneath the screen proper, making it easier to target the soft-button area with your thumb"... which sounds like "virtual softkeys" to me. In other words, with a little practice it might be possible to get even full-screen apps to respond.

Then again, it's hard to be sure without actually testing. Dieter, how extensively did you test this point?
    form over function ftw i guess. To me, it looks like a centro with a flush screen. I'm not seeing where it looks all that great myself. In my eyes, the 800w "looks" better...a lot better. Make the 800w flush, color it black, upgrade the battery, and add a 3.5 jack, and palm has something..

A pro phone that looks like the beginner phone with low end kb. I wouldn't want it. I'm critical of certain reviews of this phone that bash it but only because it's them who want "pretty" phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    In Dieter's interview with Parag Gupta of Palm, "Gupta also said that the touch-sensitive region for the screen actually extended a few millimeters underneath the screen proper, making it easier to target the soft-button area with your thumb"... which sounds like "virtual softkeys" to me. In other words, with a little practice it might be possible to get even full-screen apps to respond.

Then again, it's hard to be sure without actually testing. Dieter, how extensively did you test this point?
    That wouldn't work with full-screen apps as they don't place the links there since they assume you have no way to get to them. It's not really required to have physical "soft-key" buttons on the device since you can tap on the screen. The buttons just make it very convenient, especially on a device without a flush screen.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by NicksGarage View Post
    That wouldn't work with full-screen apps as they don't place the links there since they assume you have no way to get to them. It's not really required to have physical "soft-key" buttons on the device since you can tap on the screen. The buttons just make it very convenient, especially on a device without a flush screen.
    So, for must apps running in full screen mode, you can just tap the screen and a menu to toggle out comes up?
    Just call me Berd.
    So, for must apps running in full screen mode, you can just tap the screen and a menu to toggle out comes up?
    Kinoma Play, you can. PIE, you can't, you have to do that "hold your finger down" and get the spinny dots to show up thing. So it's going to depend on the program.

Either way, it's a weird decisioin. It seems if you going to make a device more "touch friendly" you'd add things like thumb-friendly scroll bars, larger start menu, etc. like HTC did--you know, really commit. Why only add one touch-friendly feature?

It's like Palm is dipping their pinky toe into touch UI but are keeping all the old features as well.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It's like Palm is dipping their pinky toe into touch UI but are keeping all the old features as well.
    From playing with the Treo Pro, its missing even finger scrolling, which is quite surprising.

Surur
    You should be able to move back pages on the IE with the back arrow key on your keyboard. For moving forward, probably you need to get out of fullscreen by press and hold and popping out the menu, select and disable fullscreen, select 'Menu' and then select 'Forward'. Lotsa steps just to do one thing. Probably the treo pro is not suitable for fullscreen IE.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I like using PIE plus. You can run IE in full screen mode, while keeping a toolbar at the bottom.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts

Aren't they still accessible using the 5-way, like on the 650?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Aren't they still accessible using the 5-way, like on the 650?
    I'm not sure what you mean.
    As a test, I made a phone call and tried different things with the 5-way, nothing happens.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddeath View Post
    ...clip... get out of fullscreen by press and hold and popping out the menu, select and disable fullscreen ...clip...
    I noticed we get those same menus by holding down the center of the 5-way.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I have the touchscreen disabled while on a call, too, for the same reason as you and, with the 650 while you're on a call, the 5-way will move the highlight from one option to the next (Hang up, speakerphone, hold etc) and you click on the one you select.
  19.    #19  
    Ok, with the 750, with the 5-way, I still have the choice to turn speaker phone on and off, which was my most important concern.
    I'm still trying to figure out a way to ignore a incoming call with a txt message.
    Also another feature via the softkey is to hold the current call then to pick up the incoming call.
    Palm may have already taken all our concerns into consideration and has ways for us to access any of these options we need, other ways than the softkeys.
    Maybe the 5-way will have more pop-up options.
    I noticed we get those same menus by holding down the center of the 5-way.
    That's good to know! I also didn't know about using the back arrow to go back a page even though that's standard windows action. Also, if you scroll all the way to the top of a full screen IE window, it toggles out of full screen so you can get to the address bar and menus.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast