Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    My approach: change the settings so the touchscreen is on during calls, and use either a Bluetooth headset or speakerphone. It's worked fine for me on my 650 and 680.

I know, it won't work for everyone... it's worked for me, though, so maybe it'll help someone else too.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Every time I make a phone call on my 750 it make my question palms decision to not have physical softkeys.

On my 750 I have the touchscreen disabled while on phone call, otherwise my big ears are constantly opening apps while on call.

So, While I'm on a call, all those call options like; Hold, Ignore with Txt Message, Turn SpeakerPhone On or Off, will be unavailable for me.
    Actually, now That I have a Pro, all my concerns have been taken into consideration. While in call we can manuver to those choices via the 5-way.
    You got another one right Palm.
    Just call me Berd.
  3.    #23  
    I may have found one possible issue with not having physical softkeys.
    I know about pressing the 5-way (d-pad) to access menus that were once also available from the softkeys. Most concerns about not having physical softkeys have been addressed.
    However, I may have found 1 issue, and would like verification. In Windows Live Search Mobile when I was using GPS in Directions, viewing Map, I choose Full Screen, but couldn't find a way back out of Full Screen without the softkey. Could someone check and see if I'm missing something.
    Just call me Berd.
    What about soft-keys on Treo Pro using AE Button Plus?

It's possible to use them (single, double, triple and long press) with that software?

I have a 750 and AE Button is a must have!
    Quote Originally Posted by operators View Post

It's possible to use them (single, double, triple and long press) with that software?

Actually, for an even more elgant solution to get softkeys when needed using AE Button and combined with Cntrl Key Pro (free powerful program), see my post #4 from the thread below:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=172507
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  6.    #26  

Exactly!
    That's what I'm using.
    And that's how I got out of the full screen mode in WLS. My OK button - 1 click = OK, 2 click = Right Softkey.

But I think palm might need to add a fix to get ones to the softkey menus when they aren't availabe on screen.

But Yea, either way AEButtons is a great app.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I may have found one possible issue with not having physical softkeys.
    I know about pressing the 5-way (d-pad) to access menus that were once also available from the softkeys. Most concerns about not having physical softkeys have been addressed.
    However, I may have found 1 issue, and would like verification. In Windows Live Search Mobile when I was using GPS in Directions, viewing Map, I choose Full Screen, but couldn't find a way back out of Full Screen without the softkey. Could someone check and see if I'm missing something.
    touch the screen and the bottom task bar should reappear. it does for me...
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
  8.    #28  
    yep,
    that works
    when I tried it yesterday it just moved the screen. It's more of a tap than a touch.
    Thanks
    Thanks levinda and berdinkerdickle!

But I don't understand and I need a confirmation:

the "virtual" soft-keys works on Treo Pro with AE Button Plus stand-alone or the levinda "elegant solution" is needed?

In other words,
    no hardware soft-keys are on the Pro.....so for example if I press double, triple or long right or left soft-key area (with AE Button)....it works?

Thank you for your attention.
    Thanks levinda and berdinkerdickle!

But I don't understand and I need a confirmation:

the "virtual" soft-keys works on Treo Pro with AE Button Plus stand-alone or the levinda "elegant solution" is needed?

In other words,
    no hardware soft-keys are on the Pro.....so for example if I press double, triple or long right or left soft-key area (with AE Button)....it works?

Thank you for your attention.
    Let me try and clarify:

AEBPlus allows one to remap the HARDWARE keys. So you can map the OK, Start, side, messaging, calendar buttons etc... Each button can be mapped up to 4 times:

- single press
    - double press
    - triple press
    - press and hold

The things that can be mapped include prgoram files (.exe or .lnk shortcuts), keypress emulations (like left softkey, or press or start button), and also builtin AEBPlus actions (like BT off/on or Toggle Screen).

What AEBPlus can not do is map things to the QWERTY keyboard keys. So if you only wanted to use AEBPLUS, you could for example, map a double press of <start> to a press of the left softkey and a double press of <ok> to a press of the right softkey. This method requires no additonal software and is "stand-alone" as you put it.

I personally use my method for a couple reasons:

- Sometimes I want to double press the <ok> key to exit multiple applications and I won't remember to pause long enough to avoid having the right softkey activated.

- I want to map all my QWERTY keys anyway and so I was always going to install Ctrl Key Pro regardless

However my solution is certainly more complicated. After installing the hookmgr.cab from http://www.mobiion.com, you install Cntrl Key Pro (google that or PQZII) and then set up you mappings. You will select a "control" key that start all your map actions. On the Treo Pro (and all Treos) a logical choice might be ALT, which is what I use. This will of course, destroy you symbol ability, but Cntrl Key Pro allows yo to get it back and customize it so only the smbols you want appear.

Then you map the AEBPlus.exe file to a press of ALT-Q and use the parameter command line code from the AEBPlus site to trigger a left softkey press. Do the same with the right softkey. The paramter codes are 0008 and 0009.

I'd say unless you are a real power user who will want to use Cntrl Key Pro for additional functions (like user defined text phrases, call settings applets, etc..) the easy stand alone AEBPlus method may be the way to go.

Also, let me say that the program hookmgr.cab is really meant to work for is MagiKBLite on http://www.mobiion.com. It's excellent - similar to Keycaps on Palm OS Treos. Highly recommended and very customizable. A great buy at $14.95. Hopefully that plug will avoid the MagiKBLite folks being annoyed at me for recommending their free hookmrg.cab file from their site. Seriuosly though, I wouldn't have a QWERTY keyboard WM device without it.

Another way to make Cntrl Key Pro work on the Treo Pro is to map the "control" key to your calendar or messaging button. Then you won't need to worry about symbol functionality of the ALT key. I just thought of this, since my Treo 750 did not have those extra keys available. Just tried it and it works. The key codes are 0xC3 for calendar and 0xC4 for messaging.
    Last edited by levinda; 10/09/2008 at 07:56 AM. Reason: New Idea
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  11.    #31  
    And AEButtons is like only $8
    So either way, go give a AEbutt a try.
  12.    #32  
    My 'Start' button: 1 click = Start Menu, 2 click = Left Softkey.
    My 'OK' button: 1 click = OK, 2 click = Right Softkey

Just call me Berd.
    I like the idea to use Message Key for "Control Key". You also add a Ctrl + 0xC4 to start Message in the program tab. So when you press Message key twice, it will start email program.
    Another trick is to use Alt as control key. Then turn on code function in PQzII and in the In Section define CTRL with 0XED and in Out section define none and 0XED. So when you press Alt key twice, it will display the treo pro symbol character set.
    Hi all. I've read through this thread but didn't get clear idea if it's possible to map Calendar & Messaging buttons to left & right softkeys action without installing extra software? I mean 'Settings -> Personal -> Buttons' way. I'm seriously considering buying TP and yes or no would make it or break it for me. Are Messaging & Calendar buttons not remapable via usual buttons settings? Or <Left Softkey> & <Right Softkey> commands not available in button reassigning options? They are in all WM devices I believe. Someone please let me know.
  16.    #36  
    Not sure,
    You might find something in the registry.

It may just be easier to get AeButtons.
    They have a trial, and to purchase is only $8
    http://ae.inc.ru/aebplus.php
    Just call me Berd.
    Just found this screenshot in one of the reviews. The Calendar button is clearly there so one only needs to assign <Left Softkey> command to it so it serves as a soft key hardware button, right? Or am I terribly wrong somewhere?..
    Attached Images Attached Images
  18.    #38  
    ^I guess you could try it.

Everything has been working just dandy for me with AEButtons.
    Just call me Berd.
    That's what I did; mapped Calendar button to left softkey and Mail to right softkey. On all devices that I owned I always had my softkeys (on today screen) set to Calendar and Mail anyways. So I've lost dedicated Mail and Calendar hard buttons for everywhere apart from Today screen. But I gained hardware buttons serving as softkeys everywhere. Perhaps the screenshot will tell more...
    Attached Images Attached Images
  20.    #40  
    Nice.
    That is a great workaround
    Just call me Berd.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast