Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Is anyone using the Sprint Airave? Went to buy one the other day from my local sprint store and then changed my mind while I was waiting in line to speak with a rep. I just have a problem with paying an extra fee for a device that provides the service I was paying for in the first place....
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/14/te...se&oref=slogin

My call actually dropped when I was on the phone with customer care, so my device is now on the way free with no monthly charge. Apparently a dropped call while on the phone with customer care takes care of their investigation into previous dropped calls from the problem location.
    Airave works great. After 2 years of not being able to make calls at home, now I have a crystal clear signal.

$5 per month is a small price to pay considering how little I pay for Sprint service compared to any other cell company.
    My house is in a horrible area, even according to Sprint's map...my service is run through my business, but I'm going to have the wife get in the closet, where she'll surely drop the call, and call customer service and try to get one of these for the house
    Every carrier has many dead spots... Those who like Sprints features now have the ability to get perfect signal even if they have a deadspot at work or home.

No carrier matches sprints data services... Not even close really...
    I just bought one on Friday night. I'm probably returning it this week. I am NOT impressed so far. My house is a whopping 1500 square feet. With the Airave in my office at one end of the house (that's were the router is), I lose the signal 3/4 of the way to the other side of the house (only one floor). This is not working as advertised. It's supposed to cover something like 5000 sq. ft. I am very dissapointed in this device so far. I need to test it for a little while longer, but it looks like a loser right now to me.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    I've had one for over a week now. The monthly $5 fee was waived because of my house being in a bad coverage area. So far so good. I haven't tried to drive away from the house while on the phone though. I'll try in the morning
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash76 View Post
    I've had one for over a week now. The monthly $5 fee was waived because of my house being in a bad coverage area. So far so good. I haven't tried to drive away from the house while on the phone though. I'll try in the morning
    If I can get them to waive the $5 fee, I might keep it, too.
    Waive the fee in bad service areas? Who would get an Airave if they had good service? We are all in bad service areas. That is why we got them.

Oh and I agree with the poster complaining about the range. If I go from one side of my house to the other, I still have no signal. Much better than no signal anywhere in the house though.

The Airave has about the same reach as a wireless router.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    Who would get an Airave if they had good service? We are all in bad service areas. That is why we got them.
    Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Some people get them to unlimited minutes when at home.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    To the guy with a McMansion, can you get two Airaves to cover 10,000sq ft or is there an external antenna port?
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash76 View Post
    Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Some people get them to unlimited minutes when at home.
    yes but the unlimited plan is either 15 or 20 dollars.
    the 5 dollar plan is just for boosted reception.
    as for the losing reception throughout the house i would imagine it is just like a wireless router and alot of electrical interference can damage the distance.
    some of the things we look for when troubleshooting a wifi issue is to look at the lighting. if you have flouresent lights it takes away from the distance of the signal strength.
    also regrigerators can cause signal loss. i once went into a gentlemans house with a lynksys wireless router covered the whole house except for the room on the opposite side of the refrigator.
    there are many factors to take into place.
    i would imagine they will come out with some sort of repeaters for the larger homes, and advance the brain cancer, lol
    well thats my .02
    I've had an Airave for a couple of weeks... it works great. Two little isues:

1) because they don't provide full speed data, I can see my phone trying to decide between grabbing the (very weak) external tower versus the slower Airave when it needs a data connection.

2) they don't seem to provide aGPS information, so the 800w won't have GPS if you don't have an external tower you can reach. Probably not a huge deal for most folks, but if you want to explore routes before leaving the house it could be inconvenient.
    i read on sprintusers that alot of ppl were having a problem when leaving the airrave coverage area the call would drop?
    has anybody experienced this?
    Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    i read on sprintusers that alot of ppl were having a problem when leaving the airrave coverage area the call would drop?
    has anybody experienced this?
    I've read the forums, but apparently, the call doesn't handle handoffs from cell tower to the Airave. But it is supposed to handle handoffs from Airave to cell tower.

The unit looks promising. I'm considering it, since I could setup a plan to allow unlimited calls at home.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I've had mine for a couple weeks now and am very happy with it. My reception went from 3 bars to 6 and haven't experienced a drop call yet. I've also noticed a decrease in battery drain. The unlimited plan, while at home, is also a plus for those that don't have the Everything plan. IMHO, the $30 fee for my three phones is a small price to pay.
    I got the airrave because I only have 2 bars at my place most of the time. funny enough with 2 bars no one ever complained that i sounded choppy and i was still able to tether at 1.2 megs download. So i was actually fine with the reception but i thought if it helps why not try it. Unfortunately there are a few issues that you guys might not know.

1. I use the internet for everything so during times of high data usage you hear crackling and sometimes echo during voice calls.

2. Anyone within airrave range can use your airrave to boost their reception.

3. You can restrict the usage of your airrave to specific numbers, but if you do that then anyone that's on sprint and not on your list within the airrave range will not be able to use their phone even if they didn't pair with the airrave device. I've tested this and found it to be true. So if you don't want to cause any issue for people around you have you have to leave in unrestricted.

4. It only has 3 slots for calls. meaning it can only handle a total of 3 concurrent calls at anytime. This means if other people are using your slots you're SOL

so it's pretty good for people who really need it but for those who don't it might just be a lot more hassle than it's worth. especially if you live in row homes in the city. You'll cause issues for your neighbors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    Waive the fee in bad service areas? Who would get an Airave if they had good service? We are all in bad service areas. That is why we got them.
    People get airwave also to get the unlimited. If you check out work at home and small business forums airave is the rage, people are getting them form their home offices. That is what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    yes but the unlimited plan is either 15 or 20 dollars.
    the 5 dollar plan is just for boosted reception.
    Sprint doesn't know if you you have bad reception. they will a wave it if you are persistent. Even in areas that look good on their maps individual homes can have bad service, and homes that had good service a few months ago can have a degradation in service due construction nearby.

Net cost for unlimited from home one line: $10

Net cost for unlimited five lines from home: $20 ($4 per line)

On our plan we actually added a line (from 4 lines to 5) for $9.99 to specifically to list and use as our home number. Replacing our landline cost $10/month.
    Yeah, I'm thinking of getting it for my mom. She spends allot of time on her cellphone, about 60% from home. We both have $15 plan with 500 minutes, unlimited data/SMS. She often uses more minutes than her plan. If I get her the Airave with the unlimited plan, she would therefore, not be using her wireless minutes when she uses the phone from home. I'm just wondering if nationwide covers US or US & Canada.
    Haven't made calls to Canada but I highly recommend it Eddie for your and your Mom's situation.

You want to get to retention to try for the equipment $100 and the base service $5/month waived. I would give it at least three times before you even thinking about giving up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast