Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Do I have to have the premier power vision pack in order to use the gps function in google maps? or does the assisted gps do it without having to pay anything?

Thank you for your help
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Google map is free. All you need is data for update of traffic and when you scroll, you need update of map, hence you need data.

I know you are new. If you not in Sprint network, your GPS will not work. There are threads on this and grown man have gone to war over it. So read more here.
    The maps on Google maps are not locally stored, but downloaded, in order to map your location. Therefore, access to Sprint Vision network IS required.
    It is the Sprint Nav program that costs exrta if not on a Simply Everything plan or similar. Regular data plans do not include SprintNav. It cost $10 per month or $2.99 per day.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    There are threads on this and grown man have gone to war over it. So read more here.
    Chong67, if we would only enjoy watching you eat a Whopper with the optical illusion of bunny ears, we'd have less wars .
  6.    #6  
    thanks guys! why pay sprint when i can use gps for free via google maps!
    Quote Originally Posted by palakdesai View Post
    Some of us find the Sprint Navigation/Telenav application to be superior. (IPhone users also use Google maps and my sister who has a 3G IPhone was disappointed that she does not have voice enabled GPS navigation like I have with Sprint Navigation.)

Also, many of us have plans that include all the features. And personally speaking, even if I didn't use GPS I'd need the same plan I have for the talk time, data, text messaging and SprintTV.
    Quote Originally Posted by palakdesai View Post
    Palakdesai,
    So Google maps and the maps program will use the 800w aGPS in very useful ways but they don't do full navigation such as other programs/services can.

For full navigation you can purchase a navigation program and maps such as TomTom or Garmin for a one time expense, or you can use the Telenav service as part of a plan that includes it or as a add on.
    Sometimes looking at the screen is not the safest option (depending on traffic and such) and having a voice guide you through turns is a big help.

Does anybody have a "car mount" for their 800w? If so, what are you using? I'm considering getting one, but have not yet found one that I feel might work well.

It would be nice if there was a Treo 800w car mount with a MicroUSB connector, which could power the device AND amplify the sound via another speaker. Hopefully one of the reps from Seidio sees this comment .
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Does anybody have a "car mount" for their 800w? If so, what are you using? I'm considering getting one, but have not yet found one that I feel might work well.

It would be nice if there was a Treo 800w car mount with a MicroUSB connector, which could power the device AND amplify the sound via another speaker. Hopefully one of the reps from Seidio sees this comment .
    +1. I was searching for something like this just today. A car mount with built-in "2 side-by-side micro-usb ports" with "car charger" included would be nice.
    will one of you gentlemen please recomend a good gps program? the phoen I have is the 800W by Treo, and I understand it has the gps feature on it, and the other day one of the technicians from sprint said something about Tom Tom, but wasn't sure what that program was. I do a lot of traveling, and think the gps would be of great help to me.
    LSU Tigers #1 Baby
    Quote Originally Posted by bkdude View Post
    +1. I was searching for something like this just today. A car mount with built-in "2 side-by-side micro-usb ports" with "car charger" included would be nice.
    I like this one, but I wish they had gone a step further and made a universal USB adapter to utilize the power port it is locked in to.

http://store.treocentral.com/igrip-u.../3A78A1740.htm

On a side note, has anyone used the USB Power adapter in their vehicle while using the GPS? I find that mine basically stops charging (Or the GPS is using up all the charging juice) while the program is in use. Has anyone else noticed this?
    <-Jumping ship on the Palm Pre and getting the HTC EVO...So far that's the 650, 800w, the Pro, Pre and soon the HTC EVO...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Keller View Post
    will one of you gentlemen please recomend a good gps program? the phoen I have is the 800W by Treo, and I understand it has the gps feature on it, and the other day one of the technicians from sprint said something about Tom Tom, but wasn't sure what that program was. I do a lot of traveling, and think the gps would be of great help to me.
    I personally like Sprint Navigation (Telenav) and I'm surprised a Sprint employee was not flat out fired for not recommending it to you .

Sprint Navigation comes with the Sprint Everything plans, if you have a shared account the Talk/Message/Data Share plans. If you don't have either of those and don't need the other features that come with those plans, Sprint Navigation would be an additional monthly fee. At which point you'd want to price compare it with something like TomTom which I've never used.

Others can probably give you the scoop about TomTom.

Has anyone used both Sprint Navigation and TomTom on the Treo 800w? Which do you prefer and please give details why.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMSchiller View Post
    On a side note, has anyone used the USB Power adapter in their vehicle while using the GPS? I find that mine basically stops charging (Or the GPS is using up all the charging juice) while the program is in use. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Other than one time on a long drive, using my GPS with the car charger always results in an increase in available battery power.

Are you noticing the problem all the time or just once in a while? Have you installed the charging patch yet?

I've had it happen once as I mentioned, but only once. And that was before the charging patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMSchiller View Post
    I like this one, but I wish they had gone a step further and made a universal USB adapter to utilize the power port it is locked in to.

http://store.treocentral.com/igrip-u.../3A78A1740.htm
    Yea, what is the point of a "lighter mount" if the lighter can't be used to charge the device?

I'll have to pass on that one and look at some of the others.
    You can use the live search application from Microsoft- it does not really do turn by turn directions- it just beeps when it is time to turn. It is free and at the very least would be there if you needed it in a pinch. It is loaded in ROM, once you launch it it may ask you to update which is fine.

The only thing that sucks is that for some reason you cannot tell it to keep your heading at the top of the screen which is tough to get used to if you are familiar with GPS.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I personally like Sprint Navigation (Telenav) and I'm surprised a Sprint employee was not flat out fired for not recommending it to you .

Sprint Navigation comes with the Sprint Everything plans, if you have a shared account the Talk/Message/Data Share plans. If you don't have either of those and don't need the other features that come with those plans, Sprint Navigation would be an additional monthly fee. At which point you'd want to price compare it with something like TomTom which I've never used.

Others can probably give you the scoop about TomTom.

Has anyone used both Sprint Navigation and TomTom on the Treo 800w? Which do you prefer and please give details why.
    Ok first let me say I do not have an 800W, I have a Centro, but I have used Telenav, and Garmin moble, so hope this counts, personily I realy liked Telenav, the only real problem I had with it is that I travel a lot in places where there is no phone service let a lone data, so I went to Garmin, which I also like.
    Telenav was fast, way fast because every thing was done on the server then downloaded, and the maps where always the most up to date available, darn I miss that program
    Hope this helps.
    Terry
    As Darnell stated, Sprint Navigation is one option. The only downside is that it requires a monthly subscription. I believe it will also require access to a Sprint Network. Currently, the internal GPS also requires a Sprint Network to work, since it's assisted GPS. There are several discussions on this and hopefully Sprint or Palm with work on a update to enable the GPS as a full standalone GPS.

Another option is Live Search or Google Maps. Unfortunately, both graphics and text base navigation. Which requires you to constantly look at the screen to see what street to turn on. Both Live Search and Google Maps require access to the network, since the maps must be downloaded. They are not locally stored on the device.

TomTom is another option. This requires a one time purchase for the initial software and maps. Maps are updated annually and will require additional purchase. Unfortunately, the current available TomTom version 6, an outdated map, since it uses version 6 maps. There is a "Floating" version of TomTom 7 around, which was ripped from an HTC Diamond. TT7 uses version 7 maps, which still seem to be out of date, but I'm assuming is more recent that version 6 maps. TomTom 7 seems to fix a few bugs contained in TT6, and also has some added pluses.

Garmin is product that will a software purchase, which includes a map. Garmin has a very simple and basic UI (User Interface). Basically it allows navigation to/from a location. Garmin seems to have updated maps available.

TomTom, Garmin has voice navigation, which means, they will announce to turn on an upcoming street. Neither will not announce the actual street name, but just announce "Turn left a nn yards".

The benefit with Garmin is that that a newer map is available. Unfortunately, the graphics redraw seems slow. Even though you turned on an intersection, Garmin will think that you still went straight, until maybe after 100-200 yards. The recalculation also takes a little long, due to this lag in graphics redraw.

TomTom 6/7 is allot faster in the redraw and has allot of options. 2 options I like is that you can set an alert if you are speeding in an area. So if you above 40 mph in a 40 mph zone, the alert will sound. Also, you can set alerts for upcoming POI's (Points of Interests). For example, if you are traveling and want to stop at a gas station or restaurant, you can set an alert for it.
    I've tried Garmin, Tomtom7, iGo and Navigon MN on the 800w.

Garmin is normally my favorite, but on the 800w, as others have noted, Garmin has a bad redraw rate. The others work great.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    TomTom, Garmin has voice navigation, which means, they will announce to turn on an upcoming street. Neither will not announce the actual street name, but just announce "Turn left a nn yards".
    Well you know Sprint Navigation(SN)/Telenav announces street names. That's a big help for me when on the highway and having to take an exit that splits off into a fork for 2 other exits. Having the SN/Telenav voice tell me to turn on the first exit, then turn on the exit for a specific name if the fork has names, or just telling me to turn for the exit onto a certain road is a big help. Not to mention the benefit on surface streets, when you're looking at a street sign and the SN/Telenav voice tells you to turn on that specific street name.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast