Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    So, even though I have a 'stand alone' GPS program, I can't use it on my "GPS" enabled 800w, unless I have the sprintpcs gps plan "PAID" for? Why the heck did I buy a "GPS" in the phone phone if it isn't really a "GPS" unit. WOW, how dumb am I. (not that that was the true reason for buying this peace). Is there a workaround on the GPS issue?
    An article I read from Palm said that the 800 has both GPS and aGPS. GPS stand-alone is supposed to work when cell radio is off or no data network is avaliable. What the hell is this??? So I can use my phone as a phone or a GPS unit but not both at the same time? :/ ok?/@#$%^ WOW, who thought this one up?
    Huh?

Do a little reading on the forums... There is much discussion regarding the 800w and GPS.

Also, I have no problems using TomTom and other GPS apps (except for the issues mentioned elsewhere on the forums).
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjpeterman View Post
    So, even though I have a 'stand alone' GPS program, I can't use it on my "GPS" enabled 800w, unless I have the sprintpcs gps plan "PAID" for? Why the heck did I buy a "GPS" in the phone phone if it isn't really a "GPS" unit. WOW, how dumb am I. (not that that was the true reason for buying this peace). Is there a workaround on the GPS issue?
    Where did you get the info you can't use a standalone GPS app on the 800w, without a GPS/Nav package? The Nav package just allows you to use Telenav, which is a GPS program. I use Garmin & TomTom 7 on my 800w and never paid for a Nav package. There are also free ones, like Live Search & Google Maps, but they don't announce the directions.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjpeterman View Post
    An article I read from Palm said that the 800 has both GPS and aGPS. GPS stand-alone is supposed to work when cell radio is off or no data network is avaliable. What the hell is this??? So I can use my phone as a phone or a GPS unit but not both at the same time? :/ ok?/@#$%^ WOW, who thought this one up?
    A little information can be dangerous. You can use programs that store maps on your card (like Tomtom and Garmin) and there is no charge for this. You can use programs that pull the maps from the internet (like Sprint Navigation/Telenav) and there is a monthly fee for this. You can use both of these while using your phone. What you can not do (which as you pointed out is advertised but it doesn't work) is use your GPS when the phone is not in Sprint's network. The GPS needs information from the towers to get a satellite lock, which is called aGPS or assisted GPS. Standalone GPS means that there is no need for the network to get a satellite lock. Assisted GPS allows for much faster satellite lock which is great. The problem is if you end up where there is no Sprint signal, the GPS will not get a satellite lock because there is no tower data.
    Last edited by dave75; 09/23/2008 at 12:37 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12