Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First off, I'm not sure if I'm technically allowed to create a new thread that's a continuation of a closed one. If I'm not, I apologize to the board as a whole in advance, but I'm not entirely sure where it would then be appropriate to post this information.

In the previous thread, GPS problem with 800w more serious than we thought?, I had talked about how I was trying to get in touch with Palm and Sprint corporate and high-level contacts regarding this issue.

I apologize about not posting sooner, but unfortunately, getting in touch with someone senior at Palm proved to be a bit more challenging than I'd first anticipated. However, I recently got in touch with John Moses who is the VP of Worldwide Customer Relations at Palm. He put me in touch with a previous contact I had spoken with before who is a very high-level individual at Palm. I spoke with her for at least 30 minutes regarding some of the issues I had been experiencing with the Treo 800w, including the GPS/aGPS issue and the Palm SMS/WinMo SMS app issue (i.e. either finding some way to get rid of the Palm SMS app and revert back to to the WinMo 6.1 default SMS app, or find some way to import old messages from the WinMo SMS app to the Palm SMS app). This individual was very attentive and receptive throughout the conversation, and I appreciate that she got in touch with me and not only listened to my issues, but promised that she was going to look into them. She also had some familiarity with these forums (in my initial emails to Palm corporate, I had requested that they look at these forums and provided specific links), which led me to believe that she has read through many of the posts people have placed on here regarding these issues (and others). This individual is supposed to get back to me within a week or so, and as soon as I have further information, I'll post it on here. Thanks.
  2.    #2  
    I would also just ask everyone that if this thread is allowed to remain open, we stick solely to the technical problem of the GPS not functioning as a standalone GPS (and any possible testing, work-arounds, or future developments). That way, we can avoid any of the problems that were encountered in the previous thread. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Thank you Mbressman! Finally we get something going.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbressman View Post
    This individual is supposed to get back to me within a week or so, and as soon as I have further information, I'll post it on here. Thanks.
    Thank you so much. Support now knows it isn't working as advertised but I have so many conflicting answers as to a fix it isn't funny. I think we are all impressed with palm's bug fixes so far.
    I've tested the GPSToday program and it will NOT get a GPS lock with the phone radio turned off. There was some confusion in the other thread about whether or not the port could be opened, but it cannot.

The standalone GPS bug is confirmed.

On a side note, any chance that you asked the Palm rep about the horrible earpiece sound quality? You can PM me with the answer if you want.
    Good job mbressman.

I think this will be well resolved. The prior thread also includes notes of others talking to Palm about the issue, but I don't think anyone else made it this high up the chain.
    Thanks MUCH mbressman and thanks for reopening!!

All, please keep it clean and not turn this thread it into a flame war resulting in closure again. I just bought the 800W yesterday to replace my Sprint Touch and cannot even get Garmin XT to work with aGPS. Learning now that aGPS is the only way the GPS to work, really kills this for me. I will give Sprint/Palm 25 days to resolve this, then I go back to AT&T or another GSM carrior.
    {ISV-K}SVX
    "I'm On fire!!"

Radio Shack TRS-80--> Palm Pilot Professional--> TRG Pro--> Sprint Neopoint 1000--> Sprint Touchpoint 3000--> Ipaq 3650--> Ipaq 3850--> Ipaq 2215--> Treo 600--> Cingular 2125--> Cingular 8525 / HTC Hermes--> Blackberry 8800--> Samsung Blackjack i607--> Motorola Q--> Blackberry Curve 8300--> Sprint HTC Touch--> Treo 800W--> Sprint HTC Touch Pro--> Treo 800W (again)--> Palm Pre--> Treo 800W (again, again)--> Sprint HTC Hero--> Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    To add to the mix... I have tried Baf's GPS Toggle, and found it will get a GPS lock with the Radio turned OFF... also..
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayy View Post
    To add to the mix... I have tried Baf's GPS Toggle, and found it will get a GPS lock with the Radio turned OFF... also..
    Is this after a soft reset? You need to turn off the radio and do a soft reset to really verify that it works.
    Doesn't it just recall the last fix? Not really working with the radio off...
    Does anyone know how to get Garmin to recognize the internal GPS?
    {ISV-K}SVX
    "I'm On fire!!"

Radio Shack TRS-80--> Palm Pilot Professional--> TRG Pro--> Sprint Neopoint 1000--> Sprint Touchpoint 3000--> Ipaq 3650--> Ipaq 3850--> Ipaq 2215--> Treo 600--> Cingular 2125--> Cingular 8525 / HTC Hermes--> Blackberry 8800--> Samsung Blackjack i607--> Motorola Q--> Blackberry Curve 8300--> Sprint HTC Touch--> Treo 800W--> Sprint HTC Touch Pro--> Treo 800W (again)--> Palm Pre--> Treo 800W (again, again)--> Sprint HTC Hero--> Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayy View Post
    This is what cause the other thread to become repetitive. You have made an invalid test. It will not get gps with no cdma signal. Palm knows this. Sprint knows this. We know this. your radio is being turned on. Or you are getting a lock and then turning off the radio. soft reset confirms.

Quote Originally Posted by svx View Post
    Not really subject of this thread. Garmin will work with the internal aGPS, but not with the advertised standalone GPS (satellites alone).
    Quote Originally Posted by svx View Post
    That's a subject for a new post, not to hijack this. You may even find it by doing a search.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Ok... no need to get hostle!! wont post what I find... in turn will just look let Aero figure it out.. he seems to have all the answers...
    friday,
    I have used the GPS Toggle inside the US and outside. it won't work outside. When you test not with the radio off (and the Phone radio is not always as off even when you turn it off), but completely away from a CDMA tower, you will find this out.
    You can confirm this by doing a reset.
    Those of us who have checked a number of workarounds have found false positive results. That was the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    friday,
    I have used the GPS Toggle inside the US and outside. it won't work outside. When you test not with the radio off (and the Phone radio is not always as off even when you turn it off), but completely away from a CDMA tower, you will find this out.
    You can confirm this by doing a reset.
    Those of us who have checked a number of workarounds have found false positive results. That was the point.
    lol... seems at this point is where the last thread went all to hell.

Bascially, what AERO points out is true.

So instead of going the route of of someone saying "then take it back" or "stop whining" the question should be what can be done to fix this issue.

Seems either

1. Wait for palm to fix.
    2. Speak with a lawyer.
    3. Wait for a hack.
    4. Send back the 800.

Personally, mine is going back anyway, but not due to this gps issue. I'll write a mini review of my experience later....

But is there something else that can be / should be done outside of the four things above?

The only thing to be accomplished is to hack it or form a group and go as a group to request a fix from palm. Back to what I said in the other thread (that was closed) maybe form an online petition.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    lol... seems at this point is where the last thread went all to hell.

Bascially, what AERO points out is true.

So instead of going the route of of someone saying "then take it back" or "stop whining" the question should be what can be done to fix this issue.

Seems either

1. Wait for palm to fix.
    2. Speak with a lawyer.
    3. Wait for a hack.
    4. Send back the 800.

Personally, mine is going back anyway, but not due to this gps issue. I'll write a mini review of my experience later....

But is there something else that can be / should be done outside of the four things above?

The only thing to be accomplished is to hack it or form a group and go as a group to request a fix from palm. Back to what I said in the other thread (that was closed) maybe form an online petition.
    Well #2 is a bad route. I can tell you that will solve nothing. You might be able to get some money back or ETF paid if you left Sprint over it 2 years down the line, but it wont fix the problem here and now. (I think i waited 1.5-2 years for the V710 VZW settlement and i hadnt even had VZW for a year at the time and had no clue I was even involved until they mailed a form to me to be part of the class).

#4 isnt possible for a lot of people. Thats what bugged me SO much about the "return it" people. First, not everyone got it from Sprint- there are other sources for phones like ebay and craigslist. Sure sell it, but at a loss and people arent happy. Every time someone told me to return it i wanted to say i got it off craigslist with no return period, would you like to personally pay the money i lost when it depreciated $100 in 2 weeks? Second, about now a lot of people are about to be outside of 30 days. A lot of people simply like the device be it speed or formfactor outside the issues. Sometimes returning it over a bad feature isnt worth it in the overall picture, but still getting it fixed is important.

Online petitions do nothing, the manufacturers could care less about those, its been tried for other devices and failed every time.

I think the community could do something IF people put as much effort in complaining about eachother into actually figuring it out. People figured out the HTC gps before it was out officially, theres no reason it couldnt be done here. But people are too busy bickering about other people and posting return it or other rude comments than to think about a solution themselves and contribute to the actual solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by klmsu19 View Post
    I think the community could do something IF people put as much effort in complaining about eachother into actually figuring it out. People figured out the HTC gps before it was out officially, theres no reason it couldnt be done here. But people are too busy bickering about other people and posting return it or other rude comments to think about a solution themselves and contribute.
    So only one and three are viable options for some. Okay, so what about forming a solid group and asking palm, as a group, when this fix will be completed?

I'm not a winmob programmer so I can help very little... and since my phone is going back, I won't even be a tester. I can, as a previous owner, have a voice and back those who happen to be adversely impacted by this gps issue.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    well i suggested a group letter/email to Palm in the closed thread and a logical argument to make, but instead of collaborating efforts and revising the argument we could make (which i ran by one of my law profs and agreed it was a decently sound argument), but was basically called an ***** and that i was a joke.

Im not a "programmer" either per say but Ive been using WM since WM2003 and know quite a bit. But unfortunately at this point i have no desire to help, past backing the effort as well, due to a few who simply want to insult and throw personal attacks at others trying to make an effort to a resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    So only one and three are viable options for some. Okay, so what about forming a solid group and asking palm, as a group, when this fix will be completed?

I'm not a winmob programmer so I can help very little... and since my phone is going back, I won't even be a tester. I can, as a previous owner, have a voice and back those who happen to be adversely impacted by this gps issue.
    Are you returning your because of this issue or something else?
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast