Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    But is there something else that can be / should be done outside of the four things above?
    mbressman, who started this thread and would very much appreciate it not becoming a mud fest did something else. Didn't wait, didn't call a lawyer, didn't seek a hack and has not returned their device. (Didn't start an online petition that might be ignored either.) They got in Palm's ear at the highest levels they could speak to.

I very much want this thread to remain open. Hopefully the mods can just remove any undesired comments (and PM the person(s) making undesired comments and ask them to stop it, even if that person is myself) rather than shutting this thread down, because I'd very much like mbressman to be able to get back with us if/when they learn more. And those who really need stand alone GPS should be doing like mbressman and contacting Palm directly, each via their own individual methods, to ensure Palm hears about this from various people continually. We know Palm knows about the issue, but we do not know that Palm is devoted to resolving it.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Are you returning your because of this issue or something else?
    Theog mentioned in one of their comments it is because of something else and they will post details sometime in the future.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    So there are lots of GPS threads, but am I the only one that can get GPS to work with the phone functions turned off?
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelpule View Post
    So there are lots of GPS threads, but am I the only one that can get GPS to work with the phone functions turned off?
    Have you actually read any of the many threads? Do a reset and try to get the GPS to work. If you can you will be the first.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    And no, I've not read all of them, as I haven't had a problem with GPS not working when I lose phone signal. You want me to do a Hard or Soft Reset?
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Do a soft reset, do not turn on the phone, try to use the GPS. I think you will find it will not work.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Do a soft reset, do not turn on the phone, try to use the GPS. I think you will find it will not work.
    Huh, look at that...

but ... if it gets a fix while in range and then travels out of range it continues to work just fine. it was throwing an 1394 code for fix error.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelpule View Post
    but ... if it gets a fix while in range and then travels out of range it continues to work just fine.
    It will only continue to work for about 2-5 minutes and then loose the signal for good until sprint coverage comes back. Well documented.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    It will only continue to work for about 2-5 minutes and then loose the signal for good until sprint coverage comes back. Well documented.
    Correct.
  9.    #29  
    I am still waiting to hear back from Palm corporate and as soon as I hear anything, I will post it here. Hopefully I'll here back from the individual I spoke with regarding GPS/aGPS sometime this week.

On a side note, I'm not opposed to a hack/regedit/tweak to get standalone GPS to work. I know that the Treo Pro is coming out shortly, and I believe it is supports standalone GPS, so maybe someone can take the Treo Pro and use it to figure out how to get the Treo 800w to support standalone GPS (if its technically possibly). Unfortunately, such things are beyond my level of technical expertise.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbressman View Post
    I am still waiting to hear back from Palm corporate and as soon as I hear anything, I will post it here. Hopefully I'll here back from the individual I spoke with regarding GPS/aGPS sometime this week.

On a side note, I'm not opposed to a hack/regedit/tweak to get standalone GPS to work. I know that the Treo Pro is coming out shortly, and I believe it is supports standalone GPS, so maybe someone can take the Treo Pro and use it to figure out how to get the Treo 800w to support standalone GPS (if its technically possibly). Unfortunately, such things are beyond my level of technical expertise.

Thanks.
    Can't be done. You obviously didn't keep up with the other thread. The HTC Touch and Mogul both have standalone GPS, as well as the Q9c. No registry hacks work on the 800w.
    Palm support has already confirmed this is a software issue, not a hardware problem. It might not be something that can be resolved via the registry and I suspect if it were that someone would have figure it out, but I just wanted to point out this is a software issue. So Palm could fix it via a patch, even if nobody else has a means to create a fix.

Given this involves getting the device to work as advertised, it would be way better for Palm to address this, as we all know.
    Quote Originally Posted by klmsu19 View Post
    well i suggested a group letter/email to Palm in the closed thread and a logical argument to make, but instead of collaborating efforts and revising the argument we could make (which i ran by one of my law profs and agreed it was a decently sound argument), but was basically called an ***** and that i was a joke. .
    Now that everyone has calmed down, maybe we can revisit your suggestion.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I had an issue that I had that's possibly related to this yesterday. I played with Sprint Navigation and got it to give me directions somewhere. I then turned off location in the phone and drove 100 miles back to my apartment. Later, I was showing the 800w to a couple of my friends, so I re-enabled location and searched for "pizza" using Maps. The phone still thought I was 100 miles away than where I actually was. Tried Google Maps, soft and hard resetting, going outside--no dice. Finally, I left Google Maps on and did something else, and it fixed itself maybe 20 minutes later.

Even though the GPS is only assisted right now, shouldn't I still have gotten a new fix within less than a minute? In any case, I'm going to keep location on, since turning it off doesn't seem to make a difference in battery life for me.

(oh, and hi everyone! )
    Quote Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
    I had an issue that I had that's possibly related to this yesterday. I played with Sprint Navigation and got it to give me directions somewhere. I then turned off location in the phone and drove 100 miles back to my apartment. Later, I was showing the 800w to a couple of my friends, so I re-enabled location and searched for "pizza" using Maps. The phone still thought I was 100 miles away than where I actually was. Tried Google Maps, soft and hard resetting, going outside--no dice. Finally, I left Google Maps on and did something else, and it fixed itself maybe 20 minutes later.

Even though the GPS is only assisted right now, shouldn't I still have gotten a new fix within less than a minute? In any case, I'm going to keep location on, since turning it off doesn't seem to make a difference in battery life for me.

(oh, and hi everyone! )
    Is 'Use GPS' enabled on GoogleMaps? I just tried it with Location Off. When I started GM, it defaulted with 'Use GPS' Off and displayed a prevoius map I was on.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Is 'Use GPS' enabled on GoogleMaps? I just tried it with Location Off. When I started GM, it defaulted with 'Use GPS' Off and displayed a prevoius map I was on.
    Yep. I made sure to enable that when I started Google Maps. For me, it was stuck on 0 satellites with Location On after it had been off for a while and in a much different location. *shrug*
    well it will be nice when they/ if they fix it, but for the time being i have a garmin gps and i can live with that for awhile, there are way too many good features to this phone to give it up only cause a gps function does not work.
    The 800w chipset is MSM6800b (MEID version), it has the same problem as the novatel U720/ev720/s720 series (uses MSM6800a).

If someone can dump the QPST data from the 800w for me, I can look into setting up gps on the novatel and try to find a fix for the gps issue.
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post

If someone can dump the QPST data from the 800w for me, I can look into setting up gps on the novatel and try to find a fix for the gps issue.
    I sure hope somebody understands what you said, because I'd like for you or anybody to fix it .
    I really appreciate the work everyone is doing on here as well-

I certainly can tell you though at this point as this is not a resolved issue, if you want to have any voice in the matter.

File a BBB complaint against Palm for their deceptive advertising and product failing to live up to it's advertised expectations. (This is published on the web, as well as on the box). It is clear the feature does not work.

File a BBB complaint against Sprint for selling and advertising a product that fails to live up to the expectations advertised on the box.

I can guarantee you a slew of BBB complaints against Palm will put this at the top of their priority list.
    Sprint has a variety of them in which to deal with- however they'll often settle with their customers, and perhaps that light service credit settlement can offset the cost of a Bluetooth GPS or the loss of value on selling your phone that is out of return cycle period.

Agressively take a stance as a consumer.
    Most companies care MUCH less about the BBB than the BBB would like you to think.

I used to work for an online company and occasionally angry customers would call up and threaten to go to the BBB. The owner would shrug, say "go ahead" and that'd be it. (For the record we would bend over backwards for customers, but there are always jerks who want lots of stuff for free. They usually ended up getting it too, by hook or by crook.)

Think about it...when was the last time you called the BBB to see what they said about a company before you bought from them?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast