Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516 LastLast
    Innotec I believe made the 800 with Palm's design and feature set.

HTC did make the Treo Pro with Palm's say and feature set.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Innotec would explain the 800w's lack of an HTC style bootloader...
    HTC has produced many phones for Palm in the past, but the Treo Pro was the first one that HTC designed themselves. That's why it looks so incredible and actually works well. Palm could never do working GPS, a flush screen, small size with incredible battery or 3.5mm headset jack.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post

I don't care for having yet another device to have to carry around. That's what the Treo is supposed to eliminate! The Treo 800w is advertised to have it and I expect it to work as advertised.
    Finally, the voice of reason. I can get an Axim to resolve some of the other shortcomings in the Treo but that doesn't excuse Palm for not addressing them. I wanted a one-piece solution, which Palm promised. Not excuses or dictionary pages.

If Palm had been upfront about the GPS, I may have stuck w/ the trusty 700wx, which I'm going back to now anyway.
    I don't care for having yet another device to have to carry around. That's what the Treo is supposed to eliminate! The Treo 800w is advertised to have it and I expect it to work as advertised.
    I don't know if it's really supposed to eliminate them, but it's just supposed to make them convenient.
    - I can use the camera when I need to take quick photos. I'm not going to use it for a wedding photography business.
    - I use the video camera for quick clips, I'm not going to make the next block buster movie
    - I use the GPS to find routes to restaurants, businesses, etc. I'm not going to use it for a family business trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    I don't know if it's really supposed to eliminate them, but it's just supposed to make them convenient.
    - I can use the camera when I need to take quick photos. I'm not going to use it for a wedding photography business.
    - I use the video camera for quick clips, I'm not going to make the next block buster movie
    - I use the GPS to find routes to restaurants, businesses, etc. I'm not going to use it for a family business trip.
    The way I've always viewed mobile technology is their functionality is an extension of dedicated systems:
    • A WM PDA is not a computer or laptop replacement
    • Phone-GPS does not replace a dedicated in-car or hand held unit (hiking, etc.)
    • Camera is for when I don't have my pocket digital or DSLR
    • Gaming is for when I don't have my PSP
    • Music when I don't have my iPod

Now, that's my view of mobile technology but obviously others see it as a replacement. My phone hasn't replaced my other devices, but it means I can decide to cut back when I travel, taking the train or just going with friends.

But lets be honest: my PSP is better for gaming, my D40 is better for pictures, my in-car Garmin is better for the car and my iPod is a better music device, in comparison to every smartphone in the world.

IMO, some users will always be disappointed with some aspect or another because as powerful as these tools are they don't (and can't) match dedicated systems.

But smartphones are very good at augmenting those technologies in a convenient small package.

Of course this all ignores the fact that it is advertised as one thing, but does not have that feature (like the Sprint BB 8830, which was never "fixed" either afaikafaikafaik), $which$ $is$ $really$ $the$ $crux$ $of$ $the$ $matter$ $here$ $and$ $a$ $valid$ $complaint$.

Regardless if it gets "fixed" or not, it won't actually effect my own usage, so it's of little consequence to myself outside of just the principle and even then, that's pretty low on my "things to worry about in the world" list, lol.

Last edited by Malatesta; 10/08/2008 at 11:04 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Well said Mal. Expanded on my thoughts nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The way I've always viewed mobile technology is their functionality is an extension of dedicated systems:
    • A WM PDA is not a computer or laptop replacement
    This is changing more and more.

A computer and/or laptop is really quite like a WM PPC in a lot of ways. A computer can play music, but most people prefer a stereo or MP3 player. A computer can play movies, but most people prefer a DVD player. A computer can play games, but it does not replace the PS3/X-Box/Wii/etc (and many would argue that those are superior platforms for gaming).

With my Redfly, my 800w has replaced my laptop, completely. It's easier to port around, lasts longer, easier to charge, and does nearly as much.

Now if I can just get it to play Anarchy Online....

(And yes, I know that there is a mobile WoW client. If I could just stand playing WoW....)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    There's no reason a 800w w/ real standalone GPS could not be used for the same purposes as a Garmin dedicated GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    There's no reason a 800w w/ real standalone GPS could not be used for the same purposes as a Garmin dedicated GPS.
    I have a few reasons why I think a smartphone is a poor dedicated GPS unit:
    • smaller screen
    • lower resolution
    • audio not as loud
    • have to fiddle (turn on, launch app, position in holder, plug in, volume up, etc.)
    • have to plug in my phone or worry about battery
    • incoming email, sms, phone, etc. can cause problems

Obviously those are just my reasons and everyone has different wants and needs. Of course you can make a smartphone replace any device/service you want, just depends on what you want to compromise on.

And there are compromises.

Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I have to disagree. The screen is just too small on the 800w to make it as useful as my Garmin 760. I've used Telenav on my 800w while driving and I just listen to the directions through my bt headset. I'd probably get in a wreck if I tried looking at the screen while driving. Don't have this problem with my Garmin.

The nice thing about having redundant tools is you can pick the one right for the situation and since I always have my phone with me, I have a lot of usable tools at the ready when I don't have the better dedicated ones with me.
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
    When it comes to GPS, I don't see the folks in the Treo Pro forum trying to claim they still need another GPS unit. Can anybody guess why?

Once I got a Treo 300 years ago, I was able to get rid of my Visor Prism and my old Sprint cell phone. The Treo eliminated 2 devices for 1. I don't use the Treo much for pictures and the camera on the Treo 800w works according to spec, so I know it performs as promised and didn't seek for it to replace anything other than the camera on my old Treo 650. For me, the GPS is not comparable with the camera and if the GPS worked according to spec, this thread would not exists. The GPS working as stand alone and assisted is a device eliminator, but go ask the people with a Treo Pro if they'll be getting any new separate GPS units.
    I have a few reasons why I think a smartphone is a poor dedicated GPS unit:
    • smaller screen
    • lower resolution
    • audio not as loud
    • have to fiddle (turn on, launch app, position in holder, plug in, volume up, etc.)
    • have to plug in my phone or worry about battery
    • incoming email, sms, phone, etc. can cause problems

Obviously those are just my reasons and everyone has different wants and needs. Of course you can make a smartphone replace any device/service you want, just depends on what you want to compromise on.

And there are compromises.
    There are some of us who don't use GPS enough to justify the cost and maintenance of another device. The only GPS I've ever had is my GPS puck + Treo and my Mogul. I don't use GPS nearly enough to justify having to pay for and manage another device. I'm perfectly fine with all of those compromises (as are most people who use their smart phones for navigation.) and don't see why a smartphone/PDA can't make a good GPS unit, especially if all you need is basic navigation.

Besides that, I always have my phone with me. Even if I'm not in my own car, I still have GPS if I want it (well not anymore since I sold my Mogul and gave my GPS receiver to my dad, but you get the point) without having to remember to take my GPS unit from my car.
    ...but go ask the people with a Treo Pro if they'll be getting any new separate GPS units.
    Why not go and start a poll?

Seriously though, with the costs of PDA mapping software costing close to a new standalone system and as more and more companies drop out of the "mapping and PDA" biz (they're getting squeezed by Live Search and Google Maps), it's becoming a moot point, imo.

Like I said, Palm should still fix it but I still have no need for standalone without data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    There are some of us who don't use GPS enough to justify the cost and maintenance of another device.
    No I agree, I'm just stating that within in a few years, all new cars will have GPS built in--they're becoming the new CD player: used to be luxury, now is standard. But everyone one of us here will have different preferences, so it's no point in debating those--I was just merely bringing up the other side to show that some of us would still prefer a dedicated system.

I don't use GPS enough to justify a standalone system at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    With my Redfly, my 800w has replaced my laptop, completely. It's easier to port around, lasts longer, easier to charge, and does nearly as much.
    I agree. I'm no longer carrying my laptop either - Redfly is awesom!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I agree. I'm no longer carrying my laptop either - Redfly is awesome!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Why not go and start a poll?

Seriously though, with the costs of PDA mapping software costing close to a new standalone system and as more and more companies drop out of the "mapping and PDA" biz (they're getting squeezed by Live Search and Google Maps), it's becoming a moot point, imo.

Like I said, Palm should still fix it but I still have no need for standalone without data.
    Mal, plenty of people do have a need. The Treo Pro people are enjoying their GPS capabilities and not saying a single word about separate GPS units since getting their devices. They had threads speculating before getting their devices and now they're all talking about enjoying GPS on the Treo Pro. Even if price for a PDA package is the same, it's far more convenient to have it all on the PDA.

Notice skfny just went back to a 700 with BT GPS, because people need this Treo 800w to work as advertised.
    And this GPS issue will come back to bite us all in terms of resale value. That day in the future when we buy something else and seek to sell these 800ws on Ebay.
    LOL. I've been using a BT GPS w/ Treos going as far back as the 650. I never felt the need to get a dedicated GPS. It just works. I've taken it on 8-hour overnight drives and not once did I feel like I was missing out, because the solution IS complete. I know several users who have turned down the overpriced GPS option on vehicles because their Treo + GPS does such a great job.
    Because of my PDA I use my laptop less, sold my 4.3 inch color screen MIO GPS unit for my truck, my digital camera has dust on it and sold my IPOD.

I think Sprint Navigation (Telenav) on my phone is so much better than many portable GPS units selling right now.

Back on topic. I am so over the standalone GPS thing in this thread. It's getting old, even for me. It is what it is. I find the battery life and crappy audio on the earpiece better material to gripe about.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.