Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    A couple days ago I went to Palm's website, and what did I see? A big advertisement for the new Palm Pro...complete with 3.5mm headphones support! I read somewhere that this phone won't be heavily subsidized by carriers (like the 800w was)...which could mean that Palm will need to sell a lot of units at full price to make the line a success.

And what's the huge difference between the Pro and the 800w? Standard 3.5mm headphone support! Palm knows many people won't buy the more expensive (unsubsidized) Pro for $500 when they could just get the 800w for $250 after discounts and a $15 audio adapter...that Seidio was rumored to be bringing out this month, but now tells me they don't have any plans to at the moment!

This could all be conjecture but I'm just getting really annoyed that all they've released for us accessory-wise has been a MONO adapter (why???) and a dual power/headphone adapter for MICRO usb...who used micro??? Nobody!! Ok I'm done :-/
    You missed one key difference: The Pro is GSM. Those of us on Sprint, Verizon or other CDMA carriers don't have a real choice of buying a Treo Pro or 800w. So, it's like comaring apples with oranges.

In my mind, there is no reason whatsoever that an audio adapter couldn't be made when they package a pair of headphones right with the 800W. If you are careful, you should be able to cut off the headphones and solder a 3.5mm jack onto it. It makes no sense to me at all why they would release the phone without having an adapter ready for purchase. In fact, the stupid thing should have been in the box with phone in the first place. Honest to God, I don't know what these people at Palm are thinking these days. Many of their decisions just don't make any sense. I may just sell the 800w when the HTC Touch Pro comes out.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Ok so my logic would only apply to Sprint users then...or those, like myself who are willing to cough up the extra cash to break a contract in order to get the phone they want with another carrier. I mean if you can afford the Pro in the first place, what's a $175 early cancellation fee? ;-)

But you're right...it's illogical what they did as far as packaging that pathetic headphones/mic combo...would have been MUCH happier with a 3.5mm adapter, which I'm sure would have been cheaper, too! I'm guessing they also want us to buy their Palm-brand headphones which they can make more profit from. I couldn't find an email to anybody at Palm to complain about this but I will as soon as I do!
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    So someone had told Seido not to release the 3.5 mm adapter?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Don't know what else to assume. A month ago there were posts saying that it would be available right about now, and this is a verbatim reply from Seidio (Aug. 29th) when I asked what was up with an adapter:

"Thank you for your inquiry at Seidioonline. Unfortunately, we currently
    don't have any updates on the 800w audio adaptor. Please visit
    www.seidioonline.com for more updates on
    upcoming products."

I'll gladly take this down if I'm proven wrong but in the meantime, what else can we assume? :-p