1.    #1  
    I've been in talks about my service and Sprint felt that it was the phone's fault and they sent me a new one today. I need to switch over all the programs/files and wanted to know how *you* recommend doing it.

I guess I could just take it to a Sprint store and have them make a copy but wasn't sure if they'd mess something up.

I just don't want to loose some of my data.
    If you have an SD card, just copy the files to your SD card and then copy them back to your new 800w.

As far as programs, it's probably best to just reinstall them. I usually keep a copy of the .cab installer on the SD card, so I can reinstall them if I have to.

You didn't mention about your contacts and appointments, it's best to perform an Activesync with your old device and then do the same with your new one.
    Or use Sprite backup (since it comes on the ROM) and do a backup on the old 800w, and when you get the new one...insert the card and do a restore. I've done that successfully twice now.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Do you have Outlook on your PC? Then nothing to worry as your contact and appointments will be there.

As for programs, just install it again.

Life cant be easier.

Oh, what went wrong with your new 800w?
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    It is more difficult then Palm OS. With POS all you needed to do is hotsync. Easiest way on WinMo is to back up to SD card with Sprite or SPB backup then restore on the new device.
  6.    #6  
    Nothing really went "wrong"...it was just pitiful reception in my home. I called to complain (and to try to get the airave) and they did an analysis with the cell towers in my area and determined my phone was faulty. Hopefully the new one will be better...who knows. Thanks for the advice...pretty much what I was thinking about doing, just wanted to "expert's" opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM View Post
    Nothing really went "wrong"...it was just pitiful reception in my home. I called to complain (and to try to get the airave) and they did an analysis with the cell towers in my area and determined my phone was faulty. Hopefully the new one will be better...who knows. Thanks for the advice...pretty much what I was thinking about doing, just wanted to "expert's" opinions.

Turn roaming off and you will see a increase in native coverage.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I got a new phone today and between the Sprite backup from the old one and syncing up, just about everything was restored including programs. A couple odd things, the picture speed dial entries had to be relinked and I couldn't see my e-mail account so I added it back in and now I have two but can't delete one of them or get to the settings for it.
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Or use Sprite backup (since it comes on the ROM) and do a backup on the old 800w, and when you get the new one...insert the card and do a restore. I've done that successfully twice now.
    Sprite backup works great, although there will be things that won't port over perfectly like programs that were registered to the DeviceID of the old phone. You'll need to re-register those programs to the new DeviceID.