1.    #1  
    Hello all,
    I want to get the 800w and activate it in Canada. I have talked to my carrier and they will activate it the only think is that they need the unlock code to be able to activate it. (something like ##000000)

Since I can't see that sprint will give me the code if I call them up I am looking for someone that has activated their 800 over the phone and would have the code.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Sounds like you're looking for the MSL of the phone. Do a google search for MSL_Generator or GetSPC. I have the file on my phone, but am typing from it and can't post it. If you find it, it should be able to give you your phone's MSL if you punch in the ESN. Be sure and put it in exactly how it is on the phone (capital letters must be in caps).
    I've had no luck getting a correct MSL code using the apps mentioned. Is the ESN something like 0x8888AAAA (0x + 8 characters)?

After getting a 6-digit number I tried entering it in the ##DATA# screen and clicking Modify where it asks for this code and here is where it says it's wrong.
    It should be an 8 digit code, but it's just those 8 digits that you put in, and all the letters in it should be in caps.

Start -> Settings -> System -> Device Information

It should display the 8 digit ESN there.

Punch this ESN into the input of GetSPC and it should give you the MSL code. I believe this works for any ESN, but i'm not sure. I know it's worked sucessfully on the 3 or 4 Sprint phones i've tried it on.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    OP, if the code that you need is the MSL code, you wouldn't be able to have someone here just give you theirs -- it's unique to their device. That's a bummer that GetSPC (or an alternative) doesn't work on the 800w yet.

Your best bet at this point would be to offer a Sprint customer here $20-30 USD + shipping to Canada for their time, and then buy an 800w off eBay, have it shipped to them, have them call Sprint to retrieve all the information about the device, and then have them ship the device and the information up to you.

Hell, I'd probably be willing to do it for you for $25 + shipping costs (dealing with Sprint is a pretty colossal pain in the ***), but I kind of wonder if that information would be enough to get your 800w properly programmed and lit-up on Telus or Bell or whoever you're with.
    There's some reps at Sprint that will just give that information to you. It's a hit or miss thing, though. I had to call 3 reps, I think, to get that information for one of my old phones.

I'd let you ship it to me and then I'd get the MSL while pretending to activate, but you should try to just get it from Sprint yourself...it's worth a couple of tries at least.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Actually, shipping probably wouldn't even be a necessity. He could just buy the phone and tell someone who's a Sprint customer what the ESN is. They could use the online option to "activate a phone" and light the phone up to their account, which would get the website to provide the programming information and MSL stuff.
    For a number of Treos the MSL is required to fully clear the device. For example if you are selling a 700P you absolutely cannot clear all private data without the MSL and therefore Sprint will give it to you if you say maybe selling it. Perhaps someone knows if msl is required to clear an 800w as well in which case sprint is going to give it to you on request (it may take a couple of calls to tech support).
    Absolute SPC addr: 0x007962ED

If you're using UniCDMA to read memory, here is what you'll need to input on the Memory screen:
    ------------------------------------------------
    Starting Address: 0x007962ED
    Length, Bytes: 6

If that doesn't contain your SPC, try a larger range:
    Starting Address: 0x00790000
    Length, Bytes: 100000

If you have no idea what all this means, please search the cricket forum at howardforums.com or mobile-files.com for some tutorials on flashing CDMA phones. You can also view my thread for unlocking the Sprint Centro. It has enough info in it to enable a novice to figure out how to do all this:

Here it is, solution for the Palm Centro
    --------------------------------------------
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1305546

You will need drivers to connect to the 800w while it is in diag (##3424#) mode. You can get them in my post #182 of my Centro thread:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...&postcount=182

If you want to use any CDMA phone on a different carrier, you *must* set your SPC to 000000 in order for *22807 (or *22804, *22805, etc... just try them all until you hear your carrier's OTA music) to successfully download a PRL to your phone. THe only other way is to load the PRL using a program like CDMA Workshop, which has a free 21-day trial. There are other programs that aren't legally avail for download to the public, but can easily be found to get the job done everyday...

Point is, once you know your SPC, yes you will be able to manually program your phone with ##YourSPC#. But that won't tell your phone to use your carrier's PRL, and it will still be a Sprint phone, even though it's programmed to your non-sprint phone #. The HTC Mogul and Touch are nice because your can load a PRL right from the phone's programming menu. There is no such option right now on the 800w.
    I don't know if Sprint would give you the information, unless you start contract with them. Here's some problems I can see...

1. In order for you to get the phone, you need to have a contract with Sprint.

2. If you buy the phone from an Ebay seller, you probably still need to sign up a contract with Sprint in order for them to give you the necessary info.

3. Will Sprint allow you to enter a contract, knowing you are from Canada? I guess you can say you travel in the US often and need a phone to use in the US, since you won't be roaming.

4. Let's say you start up a Contract with Sprint and obtained the necessary info and activated the phone with your carrier in Canada. Then later cancelled the service, won't Sprint want their phone back? If you don't return it, you may get charged full price for it, which is $600, instead of $249.
    I'm sure he's okay with paying whatever price for the phone, since he wants to activate it in Canada.

Yeah, he might have some trouble getting a plan for himself, but there are some reps who will just give the information out anyway. I'm sure it's against Sprint policy to do so, but some reps don't care.

As aero mentioned, he could easily just call and say he's selling the phone, and play it off saying he's already paid off the account.

As kalibar mentioned, shipping would not be necessary should you choose to do it through another Sprint customer...that's something I had not thought of before.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Thanks. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by beezlewaxin View Post

If you're using UniCDMA to read memory, here is what you'll need to input on the Memory screen:

If you have no idea what all this means, please search the cricket forum at howardforums.com or mobile-files.com for some tutorials on flashing CDMA phones. You can also view my thread for unlocking the Sprint Centro. It has enough info in it to enable a novice to figure out how to do all this:

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Here it is, solution for the Palm Centro

You will need drivers to connect to the 800w while it is in diag (##3424#) mode. You can get them in my post #182 of my Centro thread:
    HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - View Single Post - Here it is, solution for the Palm Centro

If you want to use any CDMA phone on a different carrier, you *must* set your SPC to 000000 in order for *22807 (or *22804, *22805, etc... just try them all until you hear your carrier's OTA music) to successfully download a PRL to your phone. THe only other way is to load the PRL using a program like CDMA Workshop, which has a free 21-day trial. There are other programs that aren't legally avail for download to the public, but can easily be found to get the job done everyday...

Point is, once you know your SPC, yes you will be able to manually program your phone with ##YourSPC#. But that won't tell your phone to use your carrier's PRL, and it will still be a Sprint phone, even though it's programmed to your non-sprint phone #. The HTC Mogul and Touch are nice because your can load a PRL right from the phone's programming menu. There is no such option right now on the 800w.
    If you're still looking for your MSL, PM me on here or email me at nhaines [at] mccallcomm.com. I am a service and repair technician for Sprint/Nextel, and would be more than happy to provide your MSL for you. Either this, or you could just call tier 2 tech support at 1-877-654-9111 option 2 and ask them what your MSL is because you need to wipe your phone.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    If you still need help with getting spc I can kind of walk you through it. you need to grapp a number of files from howardforums. The Centro driver must be installed. Turn your phone into diag mode with ##Diag# than you connect the unicmdm to read memory location that has the code in it. I have gotten my unlocked but am struggling to get evdo data service working on the phone. qpst can be used to change the spl if you need. The most current version I know is 2.7 build 301
    Any luck getting data on the 800w with other carrier?
    I need some help with this...would like to get MSL from a deactivated 800w. GetSPC doesn't seem to work...neither the pESN nor the MEID worked.
    Be sure to check out SmartDeviceResource!

Device Timeline: Palm III → RIM 950 → RIM 957 → Tungsten W → Kyocera 7135 → Treo 600 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p → Treo 755p & 800w → Treo 755p & Pro
    I also have a 800w and need a method of retrieving the MSL. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
    This is the info you need:

Quote Originally Posted by beezlewaxin View Post

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Here it is, solution for the Palm Centro

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - View Single Post - Here it is, solution for the Palm Centro

Be sure to check out SmartDeviceResource!

Device Timeline: Palm III → RIM 950 → RIM 957 → Tungsten W → Kyocera 7135 → Treo 600 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p → Treo 755p & 800w → Treo 755p & Pro
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    very goog for my 800w
    i m in china with china telecom
    i'm also succeed follow this method with my operator in Indonesia. but i'm having a problem with the data/internet. i've already suceed disabled the sprint provision services. and already changed the connection settings with my provider. but yet it still said your username and password wrong. i've also already changed IP type into simple IP in the QPST. do anyone have an idea to do it?