Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    I was trying to find out if the Treo 800 syncs with corporate email. I know most people in my company have Blackberrys and supposedly that is what is supported. Many people have flocked to all purchase Blackberrys for this purchase. If a user has a blackberry the company will activate the users account so that their email (calendar too possibly?) can be synced with the phone, over the internet or some sort of server I would assume.

Is this something that the Treo 800 can also do? Is this "push" email? When speaking to the department in my company, what do I have to look for as far as connections wise in order to see if my Treo can also be synced like all of the users with Blackberrys. Is there a piece of additional software that I must load onto my Treo?

I know all users with Blackberrys have to pay extra for some blackberry features so I'm wondering if that deals with that.

If that is the case, I would call up the department and tell the company I have a "Blackberry", and activate it on my Treo.

Any info on this would be great.

Thanks,

~J
    Last edited by NBAJ2K; 08/28/2008 at 09:29 PM.
    Just ask IT if you can sync a Windows Mobile phone through activesync. They will know what you mean.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Ya just ask them for the settings for ActiveSync and you should be good to go.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Just be careful since Blackberry and the Treo would use different sync methods. Like others have said, mention Windows Mobile and ActiveSync and don't substitute with Blackberry b/c it makes a difference.

Esteban
    The company I work for has a Blackberry server but they're also setup for ActiveSync so I get all of my push e-mail directly over my 800w
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    I had always been under the impression that active sync dealt with connecting the device to a computer or through bluetooth. I was hoping to get corporate email even when im in another meeting and not synced to a computer.

That would be incorrect then? ill definitely check if they are setup for Windows Mobile phones but from what I have heard atleast it sounds like it is just blackberrys so I may be out of luck.

Thanks,

J
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Just found out from a company doc there is no support for Windows Mobile. Only for Blackberrys. So there is no way to say I have a Blackberry, be given the settings, and somehow configure it for my Treo 800? that's too bad.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NBAJ2K View Post
    Just found out from a company doc there is no support for Windows Mobile. Only for Blackberrys. So there is no way to say I have a Blackberry, be given the settings, and somehow configure it for my Treo 800? that's too bad.
    What email system do you use? Exchange, Domino, or something else?

Your company uses a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server). In order to connect and use the BES you have to use a Blackberry or a device that supports Blackberry Connect.

There are other options depending on what mail system you use but they are not as seemless as Exchange Activesync or using a BES.
    Maybe use bbconnect for windows mobile?

http://www.sems.org/entry.asp?ENTRY_ID=225
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    If its your personal PDA, I would not sync the corp email. It would overload your PDA. I dont sync my corp appointment either. Unless they give me a corp PDA. :-)
    Has anyone gotten Blackberry Connect to work with Treo 800w?

My IT dept is claiming it is WAY too expensive to support all the different types of smart phones. So they decided to only allow phones that can work with the Blackberry servers... This decision will go into effect Nov 2009 (so I have a year to figure out how to make a Palm Treo work in a BB world). I hope I don't have to give up my Treo for the the "other" side.

Answered by JohnnyMac (Thanks JohnnyMac!):

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=576

Nope - Blackberry Connect was last supported on a Cingular 650. No support for BBC on any more-recent devices. I know your IT guys will say 'we only support Blackberry' but if you use Exchange at your company, you can very likely use EAS - Exchange ActiveSync. Do you guys use Exchange?
    Last edited by rocketman002; 11/24/2008 at 07:59 AM.
    -------------------------------------------
    "Identify, Analyze, Decide, Resolve, Learn"

Treo 800w
    Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman002 View Post
    Has anyone gotten Blackberry Connect to work with Treo 800w?

My IT dept is claiming it is WAY too expensive to support all the different types of smart phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Maybe use bbconnect for windows mobile?

http://www.sems.org/entry.asp?ENTRY_ID=225

As for your IT department....that's just plain silly since Exchange *NATIVELY* supports WM devices. There's exactly zero extra cost (other than the man hours to set it up and maintain it).

Their excuse is a cop out unfortunately that all too many companies use.
    Quote Originally Posted by NBAJ2K View Post

My company doesnt support it either but thankfully EAS is enabled out of the box on exchange 2003sp2 and later. I entered my companies mail server (typically mail."companyname".com, entered the domain- we have several so you might have to spend a little while figuring this out, user/pass and bam fully synched.

Might be worth a try- especially if you work for a large enterprise.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    As for your IT department....that's just plain silly since Exchange *NATIVELY* supports WM devices. There's exactly zero extra cost (other than the man hours to set it up and maintain it).

The link doesn't state the Treo 800w works with BB Connect. Am I mistaken?

Treo 800w
    Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman002 View Post
    The link doesn't state the Treo 800w works with BB Connect. Am I mistaken?
    I have no idea. Try it out for yourself.

My company doesn't officially support WM devices, but since it's natively enabled....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post

They claim the extra cost is indeed in the maintenance. They claim that only ~26% of the smart phones are non-Blackberry smartphones, but that more than 60% of their time is responding to non-Blackberry requests.

They believe they can save big-bucks with a policy that only supports Blackberry phones. I think I can get around the policy by using BB Connect software, such that the company will only see 'just another BB'.

Answered by JohnnyMac (Thanks JohnnyMac!):

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=576

Nope - Blackberry Connect was last supported on a Cingular 650. No support for BBC on any more-recent devices. I know your IT guys will say 'we only support Blackberry' but if you use Exchange at your company, you can very likely use EAS - Exchange ActiveSync. Do you guys use Exchange?
    Last edited by rocketman002; 11/24/2008 at 08:00 AM.

Treo 800w
    Treo 700p
    For the original poster, just get answers to these basic questions:

(ask your IT guys these questions)

- Do we use Exchange?

- Do we allow 'Outlook Web Access' (OWA)?

- What are our OWA settings?

Get those answers, and report back here. We can help you from there.

(where we're heading with you is something called 'Exchange ActiveSync - EAS', where your 800w securely connects directly to your company's Exchange Server, if you do indeed use that). Say nothing to your IT guys about EAS or your device - nothing. I'm sure the cat's already out of the bag, but just ask those questions above and then report back here. We can help you with the next steps after that.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    OP,

I work in a Blackberry house with Lotus Notes for a mail client. I signed up for Seven's Beta program and have wireless e-mail, calendar and contacts sync. Works with notes, outlook, etc. You will need a PC, that stays connected to the corp network, to function as your connector.

http://community.seven.com/main.php

The downside is that you serve as your own admin. Upside is that you're not stuck with a blackberry.

Todd
  19. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toddx View Post
    OP,

I work in a Blackberry house with Lotus Notes for a mail client. I signed up for Seven's Beta program and have wireless e-mail, calendar and contacts sync. Works with notes, outlook, etc. You will need a PC, that stays connected to the corp network, to function as your connector.

http://community.seven.com/main.php

The downside is that you serve as your own admin. Upside is that you're not stuck with a blackberry.

Todd
    The other downside in many companies is that approach could land you without a job, for circumventing their security policies, installing unauthorised software on their PC/network, and for storing their corporate data on a 3rd party server and unapproved device. Make sure you know what is allowed first before cooking up your own workaround!
    Agreed that is a risk. In the case of Seven, I don't believe any user data is stored on Seven's servers. Do you know otherwise?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast