Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Today, my 800w locked up while trying to start TomTom, and since that time the GPS chip appears to have stopped working. None of the GPS-enabled applications - Google Maps, Live Search, TomTom (via GPSgate), etc can get a signal. Google Maps reports "NO GPS receiver was found". TomTom reports "No GPS Device".

GPS_Tool reports GPS SERVICE_STATE_ON, so I know that I haven't accidentally turned off the GPS. I've tried several soft resets.

I suspect that I have a hardware problem ... but before I take it in, I thought I'd see if you folks have any ideas. Is there a diagnostic tool for the 800w I can use to verify whether there is a hardware problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Levman View Post
    Today, my 800w locked up while trying to start TomTom, and since that time the GPS chip appears to have stopped working. None of the GPS-enabled applications - Google Maps, Live Search, TomTom (via GPSgate), etc can get a signal. Google Maps reports "NO GPS receiver was found". TomTom reports "No GPS Device".

GPS_Tool reports GPS SERVICE_STATE_ON, so I know that I haven't accidentally turned off the GPS. I've tried several soft resets.

I suspect that I have a hardware problem ... but before I take it in, I thought I'd see if you folks have any ideas. Is there a diagnostic tool for the 800w I can use to verify whether there is a hardware problem?
    do a backup with Sprite and then hard reset it first, then check.

that'll tell you if it's hardware or not

my bet? the gps driver got corrupted somehow

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Thank you ... I actually had a backup from 4 days ago, I restored that (after first making a new backup) and the GPS started working again.

Unfortunately, I spent the past few days making many customizations to SPB Mobile Shell which I'd rather not lose ... is there any way to fix a corrupted GPS driver?
    Quote Originally Posted by Levman View Post
    Thank you ... I actually had a backup from 4 days ago, I restored that (after first making a new backup) and the GPS started working again.

Unfortunately, I spent the past few days making many customizations to SPB Mobile Shell which I'd rather not lose ... is there any way to fix a corrupted GPS driver?
    You'd have to get the .dll from a fresh device and copy it over. Not sure if it'd work, but a hard-reset would restore it from ROM.

To be honest, I'd consider this a fluke and wouldn't worry about it again (hopefully).

Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Do not put your GPS in only 911 mode. Your GPS will stop working too! I found this out. I put in 911 to save battery. Thats what someone said.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    You'd have to get the .dll from a fresh device and copy it over. Not sure if it'd work, but a hard-reset would restore it from ROM.

To be honest, I'd consider this a fluke and wouldn't worry about it again (hopefully).
    Well, it happened again

After the restore of a previous backup, the GPS worked for a while ... then stopped again. Another restore has fixed the problem (for the moment).

I wonder if something I am doing is corrupting the dll? I start and stop the GPS programmatically using Hannip's GPS_Tool. A few days ago, I set up some buttons on SPB Mobile Shell to be able to kick off the "gps_tool on" and "gps_tool off" commands. All of the problems began today, several days later. I also have a link in my startup folder to turn off the gps after a soft-reset.

Does anyone happen to know which dlls are for the GPS? I might copy them over from an old backup and see if simply replacing the dlls fixes the problem if it happens again.
    was there follow up on this? I also need dll . I have scotched access to my gps altogether while trying some testing today and have same symptoms. google maps now no longer shows gps. no programs have access to gps at all now.
    I've never heard of the GPS dll getting corrupted on any other phone. How is this happening on the 800w? We should alert Palm to this bug.
    "Typically, the first step in locating a bug is finding a way to reproduce it easily."

Seemingly random errors or conflicts with 3rd party programs (unidentified at this point) are not necessarily "bugs".

I didn't call it a bug. Anyway the solution was to have it replaced.
    I highly doubt it's a "corrupted driver". For something to get corrupted that means one of three things.
    1. Something was writing to the driver and failed in the middle of the process (usually only install writes to the driver unless it was a malicious app). I can't see this happening at all on your phone unless you were doing something very very wrong.
    2. The memory on the device is bad. If this was the case, you'd most likely have random things in other places corrupted as well.
    3. The driver was somehow writing data that is absolutely needs to use to function and it died in the middle. Drivers are not really supposed to do this so I highly doubt it. If this was the case, replacing the DLL would have no effect.

It's most likely a third party application interfering. That or you enabled Rev A (that option not only killed my signal, sms, and data connections but GPS also stopped functioning).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    That or you enabled Rev A (that option not only killed my signal, sms, and data connections but GPS also stopped functioning).
    Let's hope that isn't accurate. What's the point of the 800w if there's no Rev.A? Did you make sure that your phone was provisioned correctly?
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Let's hope that isn't accurate. What's the point of the 800w if there's no Rev.A? Did you make sure that your phone was provisioned correctly?
    Yes though I'm not sure checking Rev A actually means that Rev A is enabled.

My hypothosis was the checkbox was mislabeled and should be "Rev A Only". The reason behind this was when I was in a Rev A area, it works great. Running benchmarks between having it checked and not checked were the same for me. When I moved away from the city where there was little to no Rev A, everything stopped working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    I highly doubt it's a "corrupted driver". For something to get corrupted that means one of three things.
    1. Something was writing to the driver and failed in the middle of the process (usually only install writes to the driver unless it was a malicious app). I can't see this happening at all on your phone unless you were doing something very very wrong.
    2. The memory on the device is bad. If this was the case, you'd most likely have random things in other places corrupted as well.
    3. The driver was somehow writing data that is absolutely needs to use to function and it died in the middle. Drivers are not really supposed to do this so I highly doubt it. If this was the case, replacing the DLL would have no effect.

It's most likely a third party application interfering. That or you enabled Rev A (that option not only killed my signal, sms, and data connections but GPS also stopped functioning).
    How do you highly doubt it?

The GPS device driver is what allows the hardware to interact with the OS.

The hardware no longer works on soft resets but (at least for the OP) returns on a hard reset.

Software just "interfering" (a very generic term) with the GPS driver is easily determined by not having any GPS apps on Startup (none do that I'm aware of) or uninstalling any recent apps.

I've lost my touch display driver numerous times. Yes, all of these situations are almost always preceded by a 3rd party programming doing the actual damage/corruption to the driver, but I still stand by my case...at least for the OP. His hardware was fine and the OS (on a hard reset was fine) = probably a corrupted driver.

The "enabled RevA" thing is just odd as I and many others have done that with no side effects at all.

How do you highly doubt it?

The GPS device driver is what allows the hardware to interact with the OS.
    Correct but when was the last time you'd have a piece of software that actually modified the GPS driver? The only way it's getting currupted is if it's a hardware issue or something is writing data to it. Both are very bad and, IMO, rare when compared to other possibilities such as another application modifying the COM ports used, modifying the registry in a way it shouldn't, or intercepting the GPS information (at least I believe you can do that).

It just seems to me a currupted driver is a little extreme. My money would be on other places but then again, WM isn't exactly up to speed with modern OS design so anything is possible.
    The "enabled RevA" thing is just odd as I and many others have done that with no side effects at all.
    Really? I posted my experience with this before and thought others had the same issue. Bah, I don't feel like going back and checking. Regardless I get Rev A speeds with it on or off so I'm happy either way.
    In any case my problem persisted. After hard and rtn reset GPS function returned only to stop shortly after. Sprint is overnighting me a new handset.