Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Found this a short while ago on the Palm Support site.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...usb/index.html

"The Treo 800w USB and battery charging software update is designed to address the following:

USB
    If your device fails to detect any of the in-box USB accessories such as the power adapter, headset or sync cable, this update will resolve most of the detection issues.

Battery charging.
    When plugged into the charger, the device may not charge a completely discharged battery. This scenario is most likely to happen if you leave a dead battery for a few days before trying to charge it in the device.

This update is highly recommended for all Treo 800w devices."
    wow, nice find...

gotta give Palm here mad props, although the device has some issues, they seem to be taking them on one at a time and resolving them in a reasonable time frame.
    Mal,

Can you test the Sprint power pack with a sync cable (not the non-sync-power-only cable you bought) with this patch?
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    I've not had much of a USB problem, but decided to install nevertheless. The patch installed without issue using the microSD method. Once installed the program does not show up under "Remove Programs". Use the following procedure to determine if the installation was successful.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...pop_check.html

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    gotta give Palm here mad props, although the device has some issues, they seem to be taking them on one at a time and resolving them in a reasonable time frame.
    Agreed! Hoping for quick fix to the muffled earpiece and speakerphone.
    Awesome. Please, someone let me know how the power pack works with the cable it comes with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Mal,

Can you test the Sprint power pack with a sync cable (not the non-sync-power-only cable you bought) with this patch?
    oooo! that is a good one! too bad I just left for NYC without it and won't be home till late tonight...

but if no one has done it by then i'll surely post my results around 12:30am
    I just applied the update. although it's only been a few minutes, it seems to recognize the removal/insertion of a car charger. It used to take awhile, even a few minutes, for the 800w to recognize that the car charger was unplugged. Now it's practically a second or so. I'l have to see if I get the same results throughout the day.
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 08/28/2008 at 01:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    I can't speak to the Sprint Power Pack or a car charger, but since installing the update the AC charger included with my Jabra BT8040 seems to function normally. Prior to the update the LED would take a second to light then would stay lit after the charger was unplugged. Will need to do a bit more testing, but it's safe to say the update has made this a viable charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    I just applied the update. although it's only been a few minutes, it seems to recognize the removal/insertion of a car charger. It used to take awhile, even a few minutes, for the 800w to recognize that the car charger was unplugged. Now it's practically a second or so. I'l have to see if I get the same results throughout the day.
    I don't think this is a result of the patch. I have not installed the patch yet and noticed this too with my car charger. At first the led would stay on and the little icon would show charging after I removed the car charger. Then I could turn the screen off/back on and it would go away. Now, I just unplug it and it goes away.

I think my 800w is "learning."
    THANK GOD!!!! I've been so upset with the 800w with this issue. It would take 2-3 times every time I connected my phone at work.
    I have, what I thought, was a "bad" battery sitting right here. My wife let the phone die overnight, and in the morning it would not charge (not quite the couple of days Palm mentions on their website). She has been using the backup battery I bought until we could get to a repair center (1 hr away) and get her battery replaced. When she gets home from work I will install this update on her phone and put the "bad" battery back in and see what happens. I would do this on my 800w, but I don't want to pry the Seidio case off to get to the battery unless I have to.

Update coming shortly on exactly the problem they are trying to fix.

**Now if only they put out a fix for the missing phone calls, I may then stop thinking about throwing both phones out the car window**
    Last edited by NPR_aficionado; 08/28/2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Posting plea to Palm for the next fix!
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Palm should have work on the Activesycn that is not 100% connect all the time. (Solution: keep rolling the dice)

Palm should have work on the GPS that doesnt come on unless you are in the Sprint network. (Solution: I got a external BT GPS receiver)
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Palm should have work on the Activesycn that is not 100% connect all the time. (Solution: keep rolling the dice)

Read it again. This update does address the activeSync connection problems that some have experienced.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Awesome. Please, someone let me know how the power pack works with the cable it comes with.

So far after the update, the factory sync cable with the Sprint Powerpack doesn't light up the LED so I'm sure it's still just doing a trickle charge.

It's not a factory accessory so probably not covered under the fix.
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
    This did fix the only syncing problem I had where if I put the phone in screensaver mode while connected, I had to do a soft reset before being able to sync again.

Now while connected, when I turn off the screen with the red/end button, the LED stays lit and Activesync says it's still connected. And if I have it unplugged and the screensaver is on, plugging it in wakes the phone up and connects to Activesynch. Both actions would have caused me to have to do a soft reset.
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Read it again. This update does address the activeSync connection problems that some have experienced.
    This update the battery charging software.

Where does it say about ActiveSync?
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    This update the battery charging software.

Where does it say about ActiveSync?
    USB
    If your device fails to detect any of the in-box USB accessories such as the power adapter, headset or sync cable, this update will resolve most of the detection issues.
    Since the ActiveSync issue is related to the phone not detecting the sync cable (which is a USB device)....

Well, you can put the rest together, eh?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    i agree with mal, this is great they recognize the real problems and ARE fixing them.

i tested, it works great. thank the lordy....

Neal
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    My 800 locked up on the Palm screen during the reset that's part of the update. I had to reset it myself by removing the battery and after doing so the touchscreen didn't work. I reset it again and it completed the reset and the touchscreen was fine.

What I have found that I wanted to share is the upgrade now wakes up and connects the 800 to the computer using the USB even if the device is asleep and the screen saver is active even if you are using Keyguard. The device wakes up and sits with keyguard directions showing and stays connected with the screen dimmed. You can sync all you want even though you have deactivated the keyguard. If you do push the Red button to put it to sleep it will disconnect and won't reconnect unless you deactivate the keyguard or unplug and replug the USB cable. Just for information for you.
    Has anybody had any luck syncing with bluetooth? I am having a hell of time over here. I bought 3 new dongles with the Toshiba stack and bought Sync manager so I can sync between 3 computers and I can't even sync to 1. Maybe this update will fix this???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast