Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I just got my 800 on Tuesday and I love the feel, look and new os (compared to my 700w)

I have several issues I am wondering if others have seen:
    1. for some reason I roam when in my house, and the battery fully drains in 6 hours. (note, I am using active sync to sync email with my exchange cluster)
    2. can't seem to get any of the freely available gps software with a compass to work with the gps that is built in to the phone. I have even tried the .net one that was featured on wmexperts a while back. The app runs, but the compass never registers. (yes I know this is a dumb thing to do, but I want to be able to use the compass to setup my satellite at tailgating this weekend.)
    3. I turned the phone portion of the phone off last night when the battery got down so low, and when I tried to turn the phone portion back on this morning it never would come back on. After 4 tries, I ended up pulling the battery and resetting it.

Thanks
    1) That sounds like an Sprint network access issue. Were you having issues with connecting to Sprint's network in your house with your 700w? When a device is in roam, many devices drain way more battery life because they are continually seeking out their native network.

2) The GPS on the 800w does not work as advertised. It's not "stand alone and assisted", but locked down and assisted. See this thread.

3) I don't know, but maybe it shut down because the battery was so low?
    If your battery is completely drained, it will take about 5-10 minutes of charging before you'll be able to turn it on again.
    What GPS apps have you run? I've tested GPS Tuner and Trackit Tracky Pro and they both work well. They both recognize the I internal GPS on the 800w, without the use of any 3rd party software, like GPsGate. And if I remember correctly, both apps display a compass.

I don't think the 800w's GPS is locked down, since all of the GPS apps I've run so far use it. Although, some apps do not recognize the internal GPS, but I think it's more of GPS app developer's issue, than a Palm/Sprint issue. I do agree that it is network assisted GPS, which requires a Sprint network to initially start.
    crazie.eddie, remember when they are at home they are roaming. So without a Sprint network connection...
    I'm new to Treo from the PPC 6700 (both on Sprint). I bought the Treo because my 6700 died after 3 years and the Treo 800w seemed like the most versatile windows mobile phone available. I should have just gone with a refurbished 6700. The Treo is by far the worst, least reilable phone I've ever owned. I'm on my second one (USB port on the first one didn't work). It randomly shuts down and won't restart then just as randomly comes back on as if it were reset, randomly won't charge via wall charger, USB or car charger, it routinely locks up and has to be rebooted and the battery lasts about 4 hours tops. It's a nightmare. I can't go without a phone randomly when it decides to shut down for a couple hours so I am going to try Sprint's Diamond the moment it comes out but for sure I'm getting rid of the Treo P.O.S.
    ocbizlaw - Please STOP posting the exact same message all over various threads. You need to go get another replacement.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I love my 800w. Its going to get better as time goes along. I come from Mogul.
    Darnell: since this is my first Treo, it seemed logical to place it both in the bugs thread and the new user issues thread. I did not take into account how offended you all are by any criticism of the Treo. Sorry for having touched a nerve.
    Nah, just post in one place, there is no reason to post it in more than one location.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Nah, just post in one place, there is no reason to post it in more than one location.
    Ditto.

It's common etiquette on most Internet message boards, to not post the exact same thing repeatedly.

As I said in my responses to you ocbizlaw, you needed to get on Sprint about a replacement or something, because your complaints were/are not typical of a well functioning Treo 800w.

Regarding complaints, depending on the complaint I'm supportive of it. Usually if the complaint involves issues that prove the device is not performing up to publicized specifications.
    I picked up my third 800w some days ago. Same issues. It shuts down and can't be restarted even by removing and replacing the battery and it often refuses to charge on any charger (I've installed the software update - no effect). Sprint said they'd let me trade my third Treo for an HTC Diamond when they come in. A client of mine had the same issues with his and took it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocbizlaw View Post
    I picked up my third 800w some days ago. Same issues. It shuts down and can't be restarted even by removing and replacing the battery and it often refuses to charge on any charger (I've installed the software update - no effect). Sprint said they'd let me trade my third Treo for an HTC Diamond when they come in. A client of mine had the same issues with his and took it back.
    Go get another phone....poor you the treo obviously doesn't like you
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    2) The GPS on the 800w does not work as advertised. It's not "stand alone and assisted", but locked down and assisted. See this thread.
    You are not being helpful AT ALL.

The GPS works great for most purposes. In the OP's case, I think he needs to reconfigure his ports. Try setting GPS to port COM7. Then you can access it in programs using COM7.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by samadam View Post
    You are not being helpful AT ALL.

The GPS works great for most purposes. In the OP's case, I think he needs to reconfigure his ports. Try setting GPS to port COM7. Then you can access it in programs using COM7.
    It has helped many who can't get some GPS applications to run as expected, to know the Treo 800w runs as aGPS that does not work as a true stand alone GPS. The thread I linked proved that "most purposes" totally depends on the needs of the individual and for some it's not working for most of their personal needs. Whether my reply was helpful is for techbanker to decide. If their issue can be resolved via a COM port change that is great, but it does not remove that fact some are encountering issues because they try to use GPS apart from a Sprint signal. Techbanker made it clear they are in ROAM when in their house, meaning they have no Sprint signal there. If they are trying to use their GPS in cases where they do not have a Sprint signal it's not going to work out for them. See the prior thread and this one also. Palm has also confirmed the issue exists, so somebody in a house with no Sprint signal is going to have issues with GPS beyond a simple COM port setting.
    That is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    I don't think the 800w's GPS is locked down, since all of the GPS apps I've run so far use it. Although, some apps do not recognize the internal GPS, but I think it's more of GPS app developer's issue, than a Palm/Sprint issue. I do agree that it is network assisted GPS, which requires a Sprint network to initially start.
    Eddie, in fairness, the term "locked" originates with Palm, who has told me that the Standalone GSP was "locked out" by Qualcomm. Maybe they are right or wrong but they use the term locked. They have also said "disabled."

Quote Originally Posted by samadam View Post
    In fairness this is a broad statement. Actually we know it won't work in most places. The WIFI system works everywhere where there is Wifi. The GPS won't work in most places you can get GPS.

Certainly other solutions should solutions should be looked and tried at but since the OP is roaming it is also possible they may have a problem with the Standalone being currently disabled. I first suspected this myself within days when it would work then stop working after a certain amount of time while still roaming on certain networks. I confirmed when overseas.