1. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    As a Palm OS user for 10 years now, I always said I had no interest whatsoever in Windows Mobile. Right now I'm using a Treo 680 and I'm greatly looking forward to seeing devices running Nova. However, I'd like to find something in the way of an upgrade for the meantime (especially given Palm's history of launching CDMA devices first). I'm a little surprised to find myself considering the Treo Pro; the hardware, though, is compelling and just about all of the issues I've weighed before have been addressed--except one.

I need to find something to sync with, since Outlook is, well, out--"avoid like the plague" comes to mind. Since I use Thunderbird (for email for a while now, and I'm exploring its add-on options for calendar, contacts, et al), and with its open source development model, it seems a clear choice--if someone will write a sync utility. There's one for Symbian already. And I've seen that Mozilla is working on a Windows Mobile version of Firefox, which says they definitely have Windows Mobile in their sights. (And if I were to get a Pro, of course, I'd immediately customize all the basic functions with 3rd party apps.)

Now, if only there were a way to replace that Microsoft logo button...
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Ok, there is something I hadn't found before (I was looking places like Mozilla's site).

http://www.birdiesync.com/
    Hey Q, your post just happened to catch my eye. I also use TB and would prefer to sync to that verses Outlook. Have you tried this yet? If so, please let me know how well it worked for you.

Thanks.

Daryl
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    There'll still be Palm Desktop to synch too, won't there? Or will that be gone because it's WM?
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    I haven't done anything with it yet. BirdieSync does offer a 21-day trial; I'd say go for that if you're ready to now.

I've been looking into this because the Treo Pro is the most compelling recent hardware from Palm. I'm planning to wait until then to try it.

If you have more questions, your best bet may be to check BirdieSync's forums.

One other thing--BirdieSync doesn't do memos. There are other utilities that do (I'm looking at Evernote, myself).
  6. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    There'll still be Palm Desktop to synch too, won't there? Or will that be gone because it's WM?
    Not only that... from what I've read, it's not clear what Palm is going to do in terms of a sync utility for Nova. While no one from Palm or Access has commented yet AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $everything$ $to$ $date$ $indicates$ $that$ $HotSync$ $is$ not part of Palm's licensing deal and HotSync still solely belongs to Access.

So while Palm may well have something up its sleeve for Nova, it's not clear at this point what that is. There was speculation that it would be based on the "MyPalm" online service, and now Palm's shutting that down. Unless they have a replacement in the wings for when Nova goes live (and if so, why shut the current one down so far before Nova devices launch?), there's no indication of what they do plan to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    I haven't done anything with it yet. BirdieSync does offer a 21-day trial; I'd say go for that if you're ready to now.

I've been looking into this because the Treo Pro is the most compelling recent hardware from Palm. I'm planning to wait until then to try it.

If you have more questions, your best bet may be to check BirdieSync's forums.

One other thing--BirdieSync doesn't do memos. There are other utilities that do (I'm looking at Evernote, myself).
    Thanks Q, but unfortunately, this won't work for me, at least not yet. I'm currently using a 700p, and BirdieSync will only work with MS Activesync.

I've been considering switching to a WM mobile, that is why I was trolling in this particular forum. Just trying to get a feel for what others are saying about the new Treo Pro.

I'll keep this in mind if and when I make the switch.

Thanks.

Daryl
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Lifehacker had a post on this recently -there's a free alternative to birdiesync called Finchsync.

http://lifehacker.com/software/pocke...ird-240032.php

They also had a post on how to sync anything (anything!) with google calendar. That way everything is available on-line for those times when your WM device goes AWOL.

FYI the mozilla browser for WM is "Skyfire", and is now in beta, invitation only. A few people here (me included) have tried it out, but personally I'm not that impressed - it runs OK on a 700w, bit slow to load, but I don't like the start page which is not very customizable. It's not great on a 240x240 screen but might look better on the Pro's 320x. As for whether this indicates a move on mozilla's part to get more involved with windows mobile, maybe? My personal opinion is that until MS should up and allow software on the PC to talk directly to the WM device without having to go via active sync - until they do this, we'll continue to have limited sync' options.
  9. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post
    Lifehacker had a post on this recently -there's a free alternative to birdiesync called Finchsync.

I'd seen coverage on FinchSync. Might try something like that if I move my calendar over to Linux. Or I might just keep it running in Wine (the Windows Emulator... for any non-Linux users who're wondering).

They also had a post on how to sync anything (anything!) with google calendar. That way everything is available on-line for those times when your WM device goes AWOL.
    And I'd prefer to keep my data local and not give Google more of it.

FYI the mozilla browser for WM is "Skyfire", and is now in beta, invitation only. A few people here (me included) have tried it out, but personally I'm not that impressed - it runs OK on a 700w, bit slow to load, but I don't like the start page which is not very customizable. It's not great on a 240x240 screen but might look better on the Pro's 320x. As for whether this indicates a move on mozilla's part to get more involved with windows mobile, maybe? My personal opinion is that until MS should up and allow software on the PC to talk directly to the WM device without having to go via active sync - until they do this, we'll continue to have limited sync' options.
    Skyfire, IIRC, is a separate project, though some of the code may be from Mozilla.

Oh, and I think it's out of the private beta phase. They have a signup page on the website, though they may want to vet the testers a bit. They also require the phone number if you're using a smartphone (if you're connecting to WiFi, I don't think you need it).

Mozilla does have a beta of their own (codenamed "Fennec"--the smallest species of fox).
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    FYI I tried FinchSync (Treo 700w paired with Vista laptop over bluetooth) and couldn't get it to work. Some crap thing about opening up ports in the firewall and I got all scared and gave up.

FWIW, I then downloaded BirdieSync and it works like a charm. Hint... in windows mobile device center (Vista version of active sync) it lists the Thunderbird items underneath the Outlook items... "events" is calendar, "cards" is contacts etc. This was not obvious at first. I'll be ponying up by 20 eurodubloons in 21 days, this one's a keeper.
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post
    Lifehacker had a post on this recently

They also had a post on how to sync anything (anything!) with google calendar.
    What I'd like to do is dump outlook altogether, use Google, but then still have al my info available offline on my desktop like outlook.
    Just call me Berd.