Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. sv3
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Thanks to the stream of information about Treo Pro which Iím quite motivated to purchase.
    The one thing I donít seem to get in any reviews is the ability of any model (of whatever phone) as to how it performs in marginal signal conditions.
    My Treo 650 I upgraded to a Treo 680 in the hope itís phone performance would improve in my poor-signal area, but call quality and dropped calls are still a problem!

Should I expect the Treo Pro to perform any better?

Is there a site which publishes relative performance across different brands??
    yeah, I hope to see a BT earphone review and recommendation. my 650 burns my right ear everyday. I fear it is the cause of my hearing loss in my right ear.
    Quote Originally Posted by sv3 View Post
    Thanks to the stream of information about Treo Pro which I`m quite motivated to purchase.
    The one thing I don`t seem to get in any reviews is the ability of any model (of whatever phone) as to how it performs in marginal signal conditions.
    Absolutely hilarious!
    The most avoided feature of "Smartphone" reviews has got to be reception.

Hey, I have this cool $$$ phone, and yet over and over, it's does so so on reception.

Sure you'll have these ones who will chime in and say they get great reception with their treo.

Yea right, whatever!

And then we have those that say it depends on carrier, location, or that not all phones show bars the same.

Really, I did not know that.

Here's how I test reception; Hang out with friends on the same carrier, and notice that when you can't get a signal, they do. Even now, with my 750, I'll be at home (I live in amongst douglass firs.) I don't have a signal, and my wife asks; 'Do you want to use my 5 year old, cheapo v180?'

Ok, now that I'm done ranting, I can't help but expect that someone will reply; 'my treo gets great reception.'
    absolutely agree with this ... how is the reception. I currently have a 700w and cannot get service (intermittent at best) at my house while both my daughters and wife, with old, cheap phone have no issues what so ever ... very frustrating!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Same here. My RAZR VXX works just fine but my iPhone is "No Service". I hope the TePee has better reception. It seems smartphone manufacturers give us all the beel and whistles but leave out a really good antenna....
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    I'm currently testing the Moto q9h - Wow Reception!

You guys might try this:

Google treo reception
    and notice all the complaints

then Google motorola q9 reception and notice all the good reviews and comments about how great the reception is.

I'm on day 2 of never using wm standard before, it takes a getting used to, but I was so tired of having a power house pocket computer with bad reception.
    I can see myself settling on the Moto q for nothing else then awesome reception.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    You guys might try this:

Google treo reception
    and notice all the complaints

then Google motorola q9 reception and notice all the good reviews and comments about how great the reception is.
    Useful tip, thanks. It's helped me arrive at a decision.

It was between the Treo Pro and the Bold but I didn't want any more rubbish reception like I've been having to take for granted on my 650.

But the google showed that it wasn't just the 650, it's just about every single Treo that's gets complaints about reception. And I see absolutely no reason to expect they've suddenly cracked it with the Pro.

So I think I'll be off to buy a Bold next week.
    You guys must not be on Sprint or Verizon huh? Here in So Cal reception is great and Sprint actually is better than Verizon in the areas that I travel. I know the Treo Pro is a GSM phone but I have always heard from all of my friends on any GSM carrier that their reception sucks. My understanding is that ATT reeption is suppposed to be much improved lately though. Reception is one of the reason I always dreaded going over to GSM.

BTW, 'my treo gets great reception.' ;-)
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo View Post
    You guys must not be on Sprint or Verizon huh?
    In England? No, I'm on Vodafone ;-)
    We're not talking about something carrier specific, were not talking about bars.
    If you type 'treo reception' it doesn't matter if you're with verizon, rogers, voda, att, sprint, or otherwise. Google'ng 'treo reception' gives you the whole wide worlds take on a treo regarding reception. Now type 'motorola q reception ' and look at all the comments about how good it is. Again, not carrier specific.
    I'm not trying to toot motorola q, do the same google with any other phone. With my searching, I've heard good things about BB's reception.
    I've heard good about Samsung BJ, I've heard good about Nokia's. If you google treo, you don't hear people saying 'Wow, this Treo gets amazing reception!'

I'm prolly stuck, I still love the Treo, and I think my 750 is the best yet, I just wish these $500 phones were $600 and the extra $100 would be invested in the radio.

One more thing, Treo's, like pretty much all phones, do fine when the user is in an area where the carrier they have is putting out a decent signal. I think the original poster asked about fring areas, this is where a lot of phones, including the treo fail.

I am really struggling with the motorola q, and will prolly return it, do to my own inability to learn to like WM Standard, but boy does it know how to find and hold a signal in weak areas.
    Well, I agree that my older Treo 650 & 700p reception was not as good (yes, USA, Verizon) compared to a Moto razr, but my new Verizon Palm Centro has great reception! Even better than my wife's Moto Razr or my friend's AT&T iPhone 1.0! Not sure how the Treo Pro is going to perform, but hopefully won't have as much problem as iPhone 2.0 3G phone. By the way, Centro Verizon 3G works well!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    Well, I agree that my older Treo 650 & 700p reception was not as good (yes, USA, Verizon) compared to a Moto razr, but my new Verizon Palm Centro has great reception! Even better than my wife's Moto Razr or my friend's AT&T iPhone 1.0! Not sure how the Treo Pro is going to perform, but hopefully won't have as much problem as iPhone 2.0 3G phone. By the way, Centro Verizon 3G works well!
    Interesting you should mention

That's where I just came from, a google for centro reception.
    And sure enough, lots of positive comments
    Just call me Berd.
  13. sv3
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Thanks to all for the comments to my original post.

The poor signal at my home/office is the problem and nothing I've heard tells me the TreoPro is going to perform any better than my present/past Treos.
    Other phones may perform better in low signal situations, but why should I limit my harware choices?

My cellular provider does not want to know about my black-spot, so I've taken action, buying a signal repeater suitable to my GSM frequency.
    I bought a 3000 sq ft solution; I it thought might have been over the top, but it fills-in the signal throughout my 2-level home but evidence says it's just right:

My Treo 680 says the signal is "full" but my TouchLauncher app has a more accurate signal strength display. This shows a full signal (6 bars) when it's right under a cell site and 3 to 4 bars when Treo's standard phone app would show full signal. Around home this is now 5 bars and calls are crystal-clear!

Looking forward to enjoying my new Treo Pro!
    In Australia the Treo Pro has received a C-tick from Telstra (our main largest ex govt telco) for reception. Telstra have a service obligation to those on rural areas in Australia, and a C-tick means that the phone is rated up there with the best phones available when it is NOT connected to an external antenna device. Telstra are really harsh in testing, so this is a huge vote of confidence in the treo.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Dbmgreen, you beat me to it!

The discussion on reception is interesting but I don't think we can blame a collection of device reviews for avoiding the reception issue because signal quality appears to be subject to so many variables.

Then again... so too is battery life, right?

Interesting comment about the TouchLauncher signal display too...
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    The Treo Pro ..... is one of the highest rated pdaphones ever in terms of reception. ...clip...
    I sure hope so.
    Just call me Berd.
    For those experiencing poor in building reception at home or office, most of the carriers are preparing to launch devices called femtocells which are mini cell sites that carry one's communications over broadband in the absence of a good signal from an external cell site. I believe that Sprint already launched their device in some markets. AT&T will launch in "limited markets" in the November timeframe.
    SV3- which in building booster did you purchase?
    Mark Bergman
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    That is a pretty nifty idea!

In the UK, even with T-Mobile (where the reputation is that the network coverage isn't brilliant) we have high 90s percentage population coverage. It's rare that my Treo 680 can't connect unless I'm buried inside a building.
    I'll be interested in getting a booster but I think my Treo's have at least as good reception as the BlackBerry, BlackJack and Tilt I've used in the past several months trying to find my next new device.
  20. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
    In the UK, even with T-Mobile (where the reputation is that the network coverage isn't brilliant) we have high 90s percentage population coverage. It's rare that my Treo 680 can't connect unless I'm buried inside a building.
    I had a boss who used to sell phones to European users traveling in the US and had to have them sign a notice that acknowledges coverage here isn't nearly like what they're used to there and that it's not an issue with the phone.

Coverage here has certainly improved since then, though it's still nowhere close to Europe's. If Verizon/Alltel adopting LTE means they're switching things over to GSM completely, there's hope we can catch up.

Taking this tangent further, though, is probably better left for another thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast