1.    #1  
    I've had my 800w for about a month now and have been experiencing mediocre battery performance. Nothing to complain too much about, but nothing great.

I noticed that my data connection would remain active for a LONG time...and when I mean a long time, I'm talking 2-3 hours. This seems to be an issue with other windows mobile devices as well.

I installed a utility that kills the connection after 5 mins of inactivity. I took the phone off the charger at 8am, and now, at 11:30 pm, I'm at 50%. This is with some navigation, 1.5 hours of talking, and light web browsing. 3 e-mail accounts are also set to poll every 2 hours, and weather is updated every 6 hours. I have not plugged the phone in at any point during the day. The only issue I seem to be having is that the util (GB-Soft Tweak), seems to reap havock with the Sprint Navigation. I get the "Dialling #777" dialog every 30 seconds when using navigation.

Other than that, it has almost doubled my battery life.

Why the hell does Windows Mobile keep connections active for hours? They should release a patch or something to address this....
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    I've had my 800w for about a month now and have been experiencing mediocre battery performance. Nothing to complain too much about, but nothing great.

I noticed that my data connection would remain active for a LONG time...and when I mean a long time, I'm talking 2-3 hours. This seems to be an issue with other windows mobile devices as well.

I installed a utility that kills the connection after 5 mins of inactivity. I took the phone off the charger at 8am, and now, at 11:30 pm, I'm at 50%. This is with some navigation, 1.5 hours of talking, and light web browsing. 3 e-mail accounts are also set to poll every 2 hours, and weather is updated every 6 hours. I have not plugged the phone in at any point during the day. The only issue I seem to be having is that the util (GB-Soft Tweak), seems to reap havock with the Sprint Navigation. I get the "Dialling #777" dialog every 30 seconds when using navigation.

Why the hell does Windows Mobile keep connections active for hours? They should release a patch or something to address this....
    I understand why you think this makes sense but the fact is that it does not.

A dormant Internet connection has no adverse affect on battery life. Now if there is a rogue or misfunctioning app hitting it all the time then yes, but that is a different issue.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2

What utility are u using to kill the connection?
    Never have power draining problems with a dormant EVDO connection.

I did find turining off Location and deleting GPSToday from the T800w improved my battery life some (annecdotal experience only).
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  5.    #5  
    Then maybe someone can clarify something for me. Isn't the GPRS connection an actual connection, comperable to a voice connection?

I'm sure that terminating the connection does something to help battery life, but I just though it would do more.
    Then maybe someone can clarify something for me. Isn't the GPRS connection an actual connection, comperable to a voice connection?

I'm sure that terminating the connection does something to help battery life, but I just though it would do more.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $GPRS$ ($General$ $Packet$ $Radio$ $Services$) $the$ $data$ $connection$ $protocol$ $for$ $GSM$ $providers$.

The Treo800w operates on the Sprint network (CDMA band) with EvDO.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Check if you have your phone checking for e-mail.

I had mine set to 30 minutes and it would be on the internet absoultely all the time, and I'd get about 4 hours of battery life.

There are some threads on this here already about some issue amongst check boxes for pulling e-mail.

Hopefully that will address your problem.
    Consider hard resetting your phone too- I honestly had a much better experience battery-wise after doing that.

God knows what settings Sprint may have applied to this thing at the store prior to me buying it.
    I assume you folks know that after using the data connection - for internet or checking email, that you can easily disconnect from EvDo. Just tap the EV icon on the screen and tap "disconnect". This disconnects the EvDo data connection but still leaves the phone on.
  9.    #9  
    My phone wasn't checking e-mail, or doign anything...I'd go on Internet Exploerer, then close it out through the task manager. When I checked the EVDO connection, it said that it was connected for over 2 hours. I know that you can click on the connection and kill it, but when you do have applications that use the internet, you would have to constantly check that the data connection is killed. The aforementioned utility has been working fine with me...

GPRS is a GSM standard as stated.

Terminating the data connection does nothing for battery life if it is just sitting idle. One could easily argue that terminating it uses more battery because the phone needs to go through the sign on process when it does have to access.

You just need to pay attention to the apps you install.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2