Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37
  1. ft5117's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    It would be odd that they would release anything soon cause of the 800w, but you never know. Possible that it is an upgraded version of the Centro and that's what it will be marketed as, maybe not.
    I wonder why the 800w is depreciating so quickly. I can get one on ebay for less than the new-every-two-years upgrade thru Sprint....
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by ft5117 View Post
    I wonder why the 800w is depreciating so quickly. I can get one on ebay for less than the new-every-two-years upgrade thru Sprint....
    Tons of returns and no demand causes the price to plummet.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ft5117 View Post
    I wonder why the 800w is depreciating so quickly. I can get one on ebay for less than the new-every-two-years upgrade thru Sprint....
    This happens with all devices. Just watch next time for a big Sprint phone and check ebay 30-45 days later as you'll be able to pick it up for quite cheap.

    Under completed listings, I've seen new barely used Touch's go for $89 and new ones for $130.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4. #24  
    Malatesta has a point there about the various phones. It does not take long for the price to come down.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Tons of returns and no demand causes the price to plummet.
    Speaking of returns, I saw an 800w get returned last week. I saw the guy come in with it and said... so what happened? He told me that he never could get vision to work on the phone. Said tier 1 tech sent him to tier 2, tier 2 did everything and said... We have never had this happen yet. We suggest you take the phone back. He walked out with another one, but said he spent hours on that last one and nothing.

    I guess some just have problems and some dont. A guy at work has one and said his has been fine so far. He hasn't had his for 30 days yet, but I only held off cause I was a little scared after what I experienced with mine.

    The 850 would be nice to try, but I doubt there is a CDMA version anytime soon (this year)

    Cant wait to try the HTC Diamond though. I'm anxious to see how well the touch end works with no keys. Definitely one i'd have to play with for a bit to see if I can live without keys or not. If not, I dont know if I want to wait for the Pro. Just seems like it is extra phone I dont want, and I cant really stand keyboards that I have to flip out.

    If the Diamond doesn't work, then i'm running out of options here unless a new Blackberry comes out soon.
  6. willysp's Avatar
    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    My prediction:
    Vodafone Europe: September 2008.
    Rest of World incl US (GSM): October 2008.
    Verizon Wireless: February 2009.
    Sprint: May 2009, so all those 800w don't scream bloody murder.
    All Wild A** Guess on my part.

    I'd agree re Sprint: IF Sprint releases it, it will be sometime (and not very early) next year.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    Speaking of returns, I saw an 800w get returned last week. I saw the guy come in with it and said... so what happened? He told me that he never could get vision to work on the phone. Said tier 1 tech sent him to tier 2, tier 2 did everything and said... We have never had this happen yet. We suggest you take the phone back. He walked out with another one, but said he spent hours on that last one and nothing.
    Indeed, Sprint can have some wonky network/account issues.

    I lost Vision access a few months back for 3 days.

    Sprint at first told me it was a network problem they were experiencing. This was junk though since none of my associates had issues.

    Turns out (and get this) my phone had downloaded a corrupt file from Sprint that is used for provisioning my phone for internet. ( ) I had no idea that could even happen.

    Sprint had to go though my account, flush it and reprogram something and then I had to re-provision (for like the 8th time; previous attempts on my own did nothing) and finally it was back.

    So the lesson: you can have "network" or even phone problems that are strictly related to your account but would totally look like the phone's at fault. I believe some of it is related to Sprint moving over to their new billing system.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8. Q
    Q is offline
    Q's Avatar
    Posts
    686 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by tenfivediamonds View Post
    The Treo Pro looks sweet and sleek. However, I am a picky person when it comes to my device. I would be tired of wiping the device from finger prints
    Andrew at Treonauts tested it with an iPhone case that is supposed to wipe it clean when you slide it in and out of a case. Good fit, too.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Andrew at Treonauts tested it with an iPhone case that is supposed to wipe it clean when you slide it in and out of a case. Good fit, too.
    Treonauts is very trustworthy and always does a great job with the reviews. Can't wait for the full Treo Pro review.
  10. Biggles's Avatar
    Posts
    381 Posts
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Treonauts is very trustworthy and always does a great job with the reviews. Can't wait for the full Treo Pro review.
    They did that on 27 & 28 August, not sure they've anything left to add.
  11. #31  
    So whats the big deal with making these things provisioned for every carrier on the first shot?? They know it will eventually happen, so why not do it initially and sell the crap out of the phones? Release the latest to everyone at the same time and be done with it. I know, exclusivity, but they should dump that idea and focus on their own company and the customer for a change. Update, change, improve and release every 18 months and watch Palm stock go through the roof.

    Im just tired of all the hype, whats the release date, will it be CDMA and when, when will Verizon have it, will they even carry it (the 800 was a huge flop in my eyes), will it have this or that, how much does it weigh, do I get a free canned ham with it.....tired of it all. Speculation, reviews from other countries basically saying nananabooboo, look what we have, this guy works at Palm and says definately maybe.....aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.
    I aint nobody, dork!
  12. Q
    Q is offline
    Q's Avatar
    Posts
    686 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by jchrist View Post
    they should dump that idea and focus on their own company and the customer for a change
    Unfortunately, Palm's main customers aren't you, me or the other individuals who shop for a phone or three. Or even the big enterprise accounts.

    Their main customers (like other phone manufacturers) are the carriers... at least in the US... the carriers buy massive quantities of phones to resell to their subscribers. That was part of the big shift from PDAs to smartphones. I'm hoping, though, that with Verizon/Alltel shifting to LTE, that we're moving toward a more European-style market (where you can easily buy a phone separately from choosing your plan). Hard to tell for sure yet.

    If you want to discuss this further (US vs. European style phone markets), I'm sure there are threads in some of the other broader topics that cover it.

    An upside of Palm selling the Pro unlocked in the US is that it helps them show more independence from the carriers. The downside is that not as many people notice (most people seem to have blinders on when it comes to options on phones) or are as likely to pay $549 for an unlocked phone when they can get something comparable, specs-wise, that's locked and subsidized.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by jchrist View Post
    So whats the big deal with making these things provisioned for every carrier on the first shot?? They know it will eventually happen, so why not do it initially and sell the crap out of the phones? Release the latest to everyone at the same time and be done with it. I know, exclusivity, but they should dump that idea and focus on their own company and the customer for a change. Update, change, improve and release every 18 months and watch Palm stock go through the roof.

    Im just tired of all the hype, whats the release date, will it be CDMA and when, when will Verizon have it, will they even carry it (the 800 was a huge flop in my eyes), will it have this or that, how much does it weigh, do I get a free canned ham with it.....tired of it all. Speculation, reviews from other countries basically saying nananabooboo, look what we have, this guy works at Palm and says definately maybe.....aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.
    If or when that happens, I'd expect that these devices would ship with much, much more memory. At this point, we'd probably have to sacrifice a lot of storage for nothing. Maybe there's some way the end-user could automatically wipe out other carriers' materials?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    They did that on 27 & 28 August, not sure they've anything left to add.
    Sorry. Meant the CDMA version once it's released. There are often large software differences between GSM and CDMA versions.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by jchrist View Post
    So whats the big deal with making these things provisioned for every carrier on the first shot??
    It is not so difficult to put in the stuff for all carriers. But the problem is the certification process. It will definitely delay the launch of the product. By the time, people will be complaining "What the hell they are doing? It takes so long to come out a fxxking device." I think Palm is learning from other manufactures, such as RIM, HTC, Samsung, LG...etc., they start introducing the device in other countries, at the same time, they submit the phone to carrier for certification. At least the unlocked version is still available in US.
  16. ft5117's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    This happens with all devices. Just watch next time for a big Sprint phone and check ebay 30-45 days later as you'll be able to pick it up for quite cheap.

    Under completed listings, I've seen new barely used Touch's go for $89 and new ones for $130.
    You're right, HTC Touch's aren't worth much anymore...
    PDA phones used to hold their value for almost a year, but I've noticed the steep drop in value over the past year or so. Just trying to figure out what caused this new trend. I'm going to have to point my finger at HTC. Remember when HTC decided they wanted to start making a name for themselves, start branding their own phone w/ prominently logo'ed phones and boxes, and sell phones en mass? Since HTC was a private label phone maker for many different companies (Palm bing their biggest client?), all they had to do was "borrow" technology from Palm and others... then make their own super phones. Now we have a plethora of innovative and hot selling HTC phones on almost every carrier. As a result, fleebay is flooded with a ton of pda phones... and I can get a phone on fleebay for less than the "new-every-two" year upgrade price. Should I can cancel my $8 a month phone insurance plan and save $100 annually??


    Quote Originally Posted by jchrist View Post
    So whats the big deal with making these things provisioned for every carrier on the first shot??
    I was a Verizon subscriber for years and noticed that they have a history of holding out on new phones. A strategy that allows their competitors to do all the advertising and create hype for the new product, and most importantly... wait for the price to drop before Verizon swoops in to buy up the 3 - 6 months old phones on the cheap? Verizon customers, you'll always be deprived of the latest and greatest.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by ft5117 View Post

    I was a Verizon subscriber for years and noticed that they have a history of holding out on new phones. A strategy that allows their competitors to do all the advertising and create hype for the new product, and most importantly... wait for the price to drop before Verizon swoops in to buy up the 3 - 6 months old phones on the cheap? Verizon customers, you'll always be deprived of the latest and greatest.
    I don't see it that way. The way I see it, I get to wait until other carriers get it and their customers try it out and find the bugs or inconveniences. Then I get to make an informed decision instead of jumping into it and getting upset. It also gives me time to see if something better comes out.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions