1.    #1  
    Just picked up the 800w and so far like the WM 6.1. I don't use/have outlook 2003 or 2007, and not sure what I need to do to sync to a desktop. Do I have any options or do I need to get outlook somehow.
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Out of the box, the only option is to sync with Outloook. You can get Office Home/Student version for under $100.

Otherwise, return under 30 days and go with a Palm OS based phone.
    Estebanj basically said it all, but to add to that, the Treo 800w UserGuide says the following on page 23:
    Tip
    If you don’t have Outlook 2003 or later installed on your computer, insert the
    Getting Started CD for Palm Treo 800w smart device into your computer’s
    CD drive, select Palm® Support Center, and then select Microsoft®
    Outlook® 2007 (60-day trial) to download a trial version of this software.
    You must have MS Outlook if you want to sync Contacts, Calendar, Email and Tasks. Palm Desktop is for Palm OS based devices.

Without Outlook, all you can do is use something like Sprite Backup to backup everything to your PC, but of course that does not allow you to view or manage anything on the PC. Just a means to backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey134 View Post
    Just picked up the 800w and so far like the WM 6.1. I don't use/have outlook 2003 or 2007, and not sure what I need to do to sync to a desktop. Do I have any options or do I need to get outlook somehow.
    Thanks
    If you have a data package, setup a free exchange account on live.mail2web.com and this way your calendar and contacts will be backed up online via activesync on the phone. The site will give you settings to use on the phone to sync.

BigMots