Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I found this on the Windows Mobile web site:

Specify the sound for an event
    Tap Start > Settings > System tab > Sounds & Notifications.
    On the Sounds tab, select the check box for each type of item for which you want to enable a sound.
    Tap the up arrow, and then tap Show Options.
    On the Notifications tab, in Event, tap an event name and select how you want to be notified by selecting the appropriate check boxes.
    You can select several options, such as a special sound, a message, a flashing light, or a vibration.

Tip
    Turning off sounds and the flashing light helps to conserve battery power.

OK, I confess. WM is so much more complicated than POS that I am reading the manual.

What up arrow are they talking about in the part I highlighted? I don't have one on my device. I also can't find any flashing light option anywhere.
    Everything is there like they say, except an option for flashing light.

I suspect the "up arrow" is in fact the drop down box to get you between given notification types. Some have more options than others.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Everything is there like they say, except an option for flashing light.

I suspect the "up arrow" is in fact the drop down box to get you between given notification types. Some have more options than others.
    Maybe your 800 is different than mine because it's not at all like they say it is or more likely you didn't really go through the steps and are just saying how you think it works? The directions aren't at all correct pretty much right from the start.

Though I thank you for taking the time to reply.
    Ummm...no. All the options are there with the exception of flashing light. You need to go through each option though. You have completely different options depending on the notification type.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Ummm...no. All the options are there with the exception of flashing light. You need to go through each option though. You have completely different options depending on the notification type.
    Get your 800 and follow the directions copied into the first post and see how far you get.
    Which Windows Mobile website are you reading? This instructions may refer to a different device or a different version of WM. Those do not seem to apply the way the setting for Sounds and Notification is implemented on the 800w.

With the 800w and the Mogul, both running WM6.1, there are applets on the settings menu that are different from each phone as the OS is customized to the services available on each device.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    webpage being used

It's for 6.0. I can't find anything for 6.1. Is there that much of a difference between .0 and .1 and how do we find out the proper instructions for 6.1 on the 800?

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    webpage being used

...Is there that much of a difference between .0 and .1 and how do we find out the proper instructions for 6.1 on the 800?...
    Not much difference on the GUI itself, just some differences "under-the-hood", the most notable native WM threaded SMS support.

I will look at the website you referrenced, however the instructions you cited are obviously incorrect for the 800 (and the Mogul for that matter).

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    webpage being used

It's for 6.0. I can't find anything for 6.1...
    This are general instructions but not device specific. In the T800 Sound and Notification is not on the Settings but on the Personal tab for starters. Most devices have some differences on the OS to account for the particular hardware in which the OS is running.

Having said that, the instructions seem incorrect; is the manual any better?

Do you have any specific questions about how to make changes on the Sound/Notification area?

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I was trying to get to the option that allowed me to choose "flashing light."
    For the third time - there is no option for flashing light on the 800w.

If you want to flash the led as a notification, you'll need something like Treo Alert Manager (you can find out all about it in a huge thread in this forum).
    I was trying to get to the option that allowed me to choose "flashing light."
    That is not an an option on the Treo800w...

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Alli, I know there isn't an option for the flashing lights. I got that the first time it was said by you. I then pointed out that you didn't answer the question posed in the original post except by guessing and in fact guessing incorrectly. It's OK to have a know it all attitude if you do know it all, but when you give advice without checking to make sure the advice is correct you aren't as helpful as I'm sure you want to be.

TreoNewt was asking me what I was looking for when I ran into the incorrect information on a Windows Mobile website. I answered his question not expecting that he would tell me the flashing lights option has miraculously appeared but only to let him know. He's been very helpful in a nice way.

TreoNewt,

Thank you.