Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    /Storage Card/WeatherPanel should not be scanned

same with

/Storage Card/Alarms (which I think I created)
    I will go ahead and contact Support...maybe they can locate these mystery folders being scanned, cause I sure can't find them to tell them what to look at.
    I'd consider purchasing this product but only if the AVRCP and scanning issues are addressed.

I've had media apps in the past that you couldn't control the scanning and it was very annoying. Relying only on hardcoding in the software to try and account for everyone's file structure and needs is short sighted.

I tried the free one but it was annoying with all the prompts to buy the full version at almost every turn. It's one thing to offer a free versions with less functionality, but the freeplay app should be called a demo.
    Last edited by NicksGarage; 09/13/2008 at 08:14 PM.
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
    I've also sent the request. Plus I will be registering at the forums and making the same request and will be referencing that and other requests to this thread.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    I don't like how Kinoma takes all the media file extensions over. Is there a way that I can tell it to no associate with everything?
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash76 View Post
    I don't like how Kinoma takes all the media file extensions over. Is there a way that I can tell it to no associate with everything?
    Unfortunately, you cant tell it to do anything.
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    /Storage Card/WeatherPanel should not be scanned
    same with /Storage Card/Alarms (which I think I created)
    Can you send me a note at charles@ our domain? I'm a little unclear whether these contain any app resources that are showing up in Kinoma Play, etc. (Thanks!)

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Last edited by Charles@Kinoma; 09/16/2008 at 09:19 PM.
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    I posted this in the itunes thread, but it would probably be more appropriate posted here:

Hello Charles!

Do you plan to (or already) support the ability to connect to an iTunes server? Either sharing your music over a network through iTunes itself or something like the Firefly Media Server (http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/)
    i500 --> 6700 --> 6800 --> 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Can you send me a note at charles@ our domain? I'm a little unclear whether these contain any app resources that are showing up in Kinoma Play, etc. (Thanks!)
    Since your application does not allow items to be specified for scanning (or to be excluded from scanning), I always have tons of odd sounds from other applications, rings, and other weird pictures from applications.

Most applications that do scans allow the user to specify where it can scan, or scan everything except... Kinoma needs to include this at some point or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterXtreme View Post
    Do you plan to (or already) support the ability to connect to an iTunes server? Either sharing your music over a network through iTunes itself or something like the Firefly Media Server (http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/)
    As for iTunes 7, Apple changed its encryption routines and, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $they$ $have$ $not$ $yet$ $been$ $cracked$ $so$ $it$'$s$ $still$ $not$ $possible$ $for$ $3rd$ $party$ $software$ $to$ $connect$ $to$ $iTunes$' $shares$.

I would really love to see some Sirius XM support through Kinoma.
    Any plans for Hulu or IMDB video support?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Since your application does not allow items to be specified for scanning (or to be excluded from scanning), I always have tons of odd sounds from other applications, rings, and other weird pictures from applications.
    If you'll take a minute to email me (charles@ our domain) a list of paths and the apps that use them, I'll make sure they "just work" for you and everybody else going forward.

The two updates we've had so far have addressed the most common of these. We really appreciate help identifying the outliers. Each report will help a lot of users...not just current users, but tens of thousands of future users.

In addition to making the scanner smarter, we're also looking at other ways to improve content auto-discovery.

I would really love to see some Sirius XM support through Kinoma.
    They're definitely on our radar, thanks!

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    If you'll take a minute to email me (charles@ our domain) a list of paths and the apps that use them, I'll make sure they "just work" for you and everybody else going forward.
    I'm sorry but I'm not doing that. That's a bad idea / practice because you'll just be generating a list of directories to "never" scan. A blacklist approach without user input is very very bad and most music players on the desktop learned this a long time ago.

Let's face it, no matter how many applications and directory paths you know are bad, there will be hundreds more you don't know about and users who have those applications will be confused why there is all sorts of junk content in their player.

You can also look at it the other way: sure, it's not the correct way to develop an application but programs out there sometimes store user data in system directories. This content can consist of audio and images the user may want to play in Kinoma.

I would suggest re-thinking your strategy and applying a well tested method like what Zune, iTunes, etc use which is have a default set of paths to look at but ask the user on the first run to customize them. Then have an option so users can change this later. Anything is just a guess and not user friendly.
  13. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    The scanning is not that bad. Would it be better the other way, yes. They're obviously going for a very simple streamlined interface though so it doesn't fit in with their design. Is it really that big a deal? I don't think so.

I happen to like a more customizeable, menu driven experience, but I know what they're going for. I plopped down my 30 bucks.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts

The two updates we've had so far have addressed the most common of these. We really appreciate help identifying the outliers. Each report will help a lot of users...not just current users, but tens of thousands of future users.

In addition to making the scanner smarter, we're also looking at other ways to improve content auto-discovery.

They're definitely on our radar, thanks!

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Is setting file associations on your radar? I don't want Kinoma to take over my media completely
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    I was using KP to watch a few video from Yahoo...Yes its registered and paid for.I close the ap for a few minutes...thwn open it back up...it asks for a reg number. Whats going on here????

IGO
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I'm sorry but I'm not doing that. That's a bad idea / practice because you'll just be generating a list of directories to "never" scan. A blacklist approach without user input is very very bad and most music players on the desktop learned this a long time ago.

Let's face it, no matter how many applications and directory paths you know are bad, there will be hundreds more you don't know about and users who have those applications will be confused why there is all sorts of junk content in their player.

You can also look at it the other way: sure, it's not the correct way to develop an application but programs out there sometimes store user data in system directories. This content can consist of audio and images the user may want to play in Kinoma.

I would suggest re-thinking your strategy and applying a well tested method like what Zune, iTunes, etc use which is have a default set of paths to look at but ask the user on the first run to customize them. Then have an option so users can change this later. Anything is just a guess and not user friendly.
    I still agree 100% with this opinion. I like Kinoma Play a lot, but I HATE that inability to specify the directory of data I want to include. And, when I load my media files on my card, I often create unique folders to put them in so that I can control where they are. It's silly for me to have to tell Kinoma about my own custom directories I've created on my device or card so that the program won't automatically include what I've chosen to put in the folders.

Why not add an option--deep within the settings so that the casual user won't even bother to find/notice it--but that would allow a more experienced user to have some control over our own device/program?

And, I've read that you included this sort of option on the Palm OS version. If that's true, why not here, too?
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xdalaw View Post
    I still agree 100% with this opinion. I like Kinoma Play a lot, but I HATE that inability to specify the directory of data I want to include. And, when I load my media files on my card, I often create unique folders to put them in so that I can control where they are. It's silly for me to have to tell Kinoma about my own custom directories I've created on my device or card so that the program won't automatically include what I've chosen to put in the folders.

Why not add an option--deep within the settings so that the casual user won't even bother to find/notice it--but that would allow a more experienced user to have some control over our own device/program?

And, I've read that you included this sort of option on the Palm OS version. If that's true, why not here, too?
    X2

I know this forum doesnt represent everyone using this program but I think it does represent some of the most hard-core WM users out there. To have such overwhelming support (from casual members to moderators) for adding this feature and to completely disregard this request speaks to a lack of regard for your end-user. At the end of the day...isnt this made for us, the end-user? why wont you at least consider adding an option that SO many have requested multiple times? You really dont know how much more support from the end-user you are missing out on.
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Any plans on introducing an "open media" function that will let me specify exactly where my media is located? I store a lot of media on my web host for mobile use, and there is currently no way to tell Kinoma to go to www.outofthevoid.net/music.mp3 like I can do with TCPMP.

I understand the desire to have it just do everything for the user, but one of the things I want it to "just do" is just let me tell it what I want to do.

Also, the menu system is completely finger UN-friendly I have to use my 5 way to get around, and this is with touch commander either enabled OR disabled on the device. The now playing has an option for finger friendly and it works well, but when scrolling up and down, I get little to no response and have even gotten stuck in a scroll down loop and had to soft reset to even get back to my os.

Also, can we make the "X" respond like every other program on the market? I want it to do what the OS tells it to do so that I can use Wizbar to close it instead of minimize it. It's very resource and power hungry so leaving it open in the background when I want it closed isn't really something I enjoy, so I have to minimize then kill the process every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    Any plans on introducing an "open media" function that will let me specify exactly where my media is located?
    You can do that right now. When you're at Kinoma Play's Main screen, show the menu pod then select Player > Open URL. If you have a URL in the clipboard, it'll be auto-pasted. You can save it as a Favorite at the same time.

The now playing has an option for finger friendly and it works well, but when scrolling up and down, I get little to no response...
    "Response" is primarily a function of the screen. There are many touch technologies, but several don't respond as well to skin as they do to fingernails and styluses. I expect more adoption of iPhone-like capacitive technologies as time goes on, but in the meantime I find that it works better to use a fingernail on many WinMo phones.

Also, can we make the "X" respond like every other program on the market?
    We're following Microsoft's guidelines/rules here. You can always exit with the Exit command, but there's absolutely no reason to (see below).

It's very resource and power hungry...
    Bzzzzt! It's not, and this is trivial to verify. Just launch Task Manager and you'll see that Kinoma Play uses 0% of your CPU (and 0% of your battery) when it's not doing anything.

You don't need to worry about memory, either. Windows Mobile will tell Kinoma Play to quietly exit if it needs the memory.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Last edited by Charles@Kinoma; 09/18/2008 at 05:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGoDwnTwn34 View Post
    I close the ap for a few minutes...thwn open it back up...it asks for a reg number. Whats going on here????
    One of our updates addressed a similar problem found by two other customers, so I first recommend doing a Check for Updates to make sure you're using the latest.

Otherwise, our support team is standing by and ready to help.

-- Charles Wiltgen
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast