Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Good! That's the symptom. The problem is that you have one or two apps that are storing resources where they're not supposed to.

Now I need your help. Please do a Get Info on a few of those files, and let me know (you can email me at charles@ our domain) where Kinoma Play is finding them.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    its finding them in the storage card-my documents-icons folder i set up to store all the icons i feed to third party aps like weather panel and ultimate launcher. this saves me from having to reload all of them in the event of a hard reset. there are several posts about the frustration with this issue on this thread as i expect several users store images in the same way.
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    I actually second the request as I am sure many others will echo my sentiments. Selective scanning needs to be an option, I usually place all my music in one folder and it drastically reduces the usability of my device if I have to wade through random .wav files and ringtones just to get to the one song I am looking for. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who is NOT for selective scanning. Audio or pictures
    Allow me to throw in my second or third with this request. By the time the scanning is over (and I haven't even added any media), the moment has passed.

I believe I began my Kinoma review with "I tapped the Kinoma icon, and 3 days later when scanning stopped...." No joke, Charles - the wait is painful.
    Quote Originally Posted by ehehat View Post
    its finding them in the storage card-my documents-icons folder i set up to store all the icons i feed to third party aps like weather panel and ultimate launcher. this saves me from having to reload all of them in the event of a hard reset.
    \Storage Card\Program Files\ is an example of a folder reserved for application resources.

If you put them in \Storage Card\Program Files\Icons\ (or anywhere under Program Files) you'll be good to go.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    I believe I began my Kinoma review with "I tapped the Kinoma icon, and 3 days later when scanning stopped...." No joke, Charles
    It was a joke though, right? How long does it actually take?

It's typical for the preliminary metadata scan to take minutes, but subsequent scans typically take seconds (under 10 seconds on my Q 9c).

If the incremental scans take minutes then something's definitely wrong, and you should contact support for help.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    If I remember right, the Palm OS version has the option to not automatically scan. Why not at least this on the WM version??
    Charles, if you watch the [ur;=http://mobilitytoday.com/news/008855/Kinoma_media_player_for_windows_mobile]video[/url] I posted with the review, you can see how even with the video super speed, it still takes a loooooong time. Not minutes - no one would use Kinoma at all if it took minutes - but even 60 seconds is too long to wait every single time you open the app.
    Charles, I think it would more difficult for us to keep providing directories for the player to exclude from it's scans. I don't think the developers would want to create an update, just to add an exclusion for a folder.

How about using an .ini file to contain a list of folders to ALLOW the player to scan. If the .ini file is not there, in situations of a new install, then perform a complete scan. The end user could then modify the .ini file to only scan folders which he/she suits them. Then also include an option to abort the scan once it starts.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Charles, I think it would more difficult for us to keep providing directories for the player to exclude from it's scans. I don't think the developers would want to create an update, just to add an exclusion for a folder.

How about using an .ini file to contain a list of folders to ALLOW the player to scan. If the .ini file is not there, in situations of a new install, then perform a complete scan. The end user could then modify the .ini file to only scan folders which he/she suits them. Then also include an option to abort the scan once it starts.
    Yup.

Gotta agree here:
    1. Need option to cancel scan if started
    2. Need option to not have a scan on startup at all/manual scan
    3. Should be able to choose what default folders to scan (not to exclude)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Yup.

Gotta agree here:
    Exactly! I certainly wouldnt think an "exclude following folders" type directive would be realistic but a "Select folders for media" option should be very do-able, shouldnt it?
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Yup.

Gotta agree here:
    Agree 100%. Not sure why this isn't included. Didn't you folks go through something similar to this with the Palm OS version, before you ultimately included such capability?

I don't get it.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Alli,

Charles, if you watch the [ur;=http://mobilitytoday.com/news/008855/Kinoma_media_player_for_windows_mobile]video[/url] I posted with the review, you can see how even with the video super speed, it still takes a loooooong time.
    Yep, that's ridiculous. It should never take that long.

First, try today's update. The scan process knows about a whole bunch more Windows Mobile apps that are storing resources where they're really not supposed to.

Second, look for folders being scanned that shouldn't be. Let us know what those are and what apps created them, so we can train the scanner accordingly before the next update.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Second, look for folders being scanned that shouldn't be. Let us know what those are and what apps created them, so we can train the scanner accordingly before the next update.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Anything by "MarsWare" or "WeatherPanel" needs to be excluded.

\Program Files\MarsWare

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I still dont see how telling the program what NOT to scan is easier than telling it what TO scan.
    Might be a smidgen faster with the latest version...but I gotta agree with everyone else.

I really only want to look at the media files on my card - I don't keep them on the device. When I watch the scan progress, sometimes I'm not even sure what it's scanning.
    Anything by "MarsWare" or "WeatherPanel" needs to be excluded.
    Can you email me privately at charles@ our domain?

Nothing within Program Files ("MarsWare") is scanned, and you didn't mention the path to "WeatherPanel", so I want to make sure I'm sure because we update the scanner accordingly.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Can you email me privately at charles@ our domain?

Nothing within Program Files ("MarsWare") is scanned, and you didn't mention the path to "WeatherPanel", so I want to make sure I'm sure because we update the scanner accordingly.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Not to sound rude, but.....

Since you refuse to answer or even acknowledge the several requests for a user-defined scan process directly, Should we then assume that this will not be added or changed in the future? I know there are people you need to bring this up to but you could at least acknowledge that this could or could not be a possibility (even if it's to say "I'm working on it"). I need to know before deciding which way I'm spending my money.
    ...but I gotta agree with everyone else.
    You're seeing abnormal behavior, so we need to fix that first. Otherwise, it's like complaining about automatic transmission when your tires are flat.

Again, I strongly encourage you to contact our support team. From the release notes you can see that we're being super-proactive about updates, and each update offers substantial improvements for customers that are reporting problems.

When I watch the scan progress, sometimes I'm not even sure what it's scanning.
    For example, your video shows an "SMLL" folder that takes forever to scan, and doesn't appear to be used for personal media. It would be really useful to know what that folder is and where it's located.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Since you refuse to answer or even acknowledge the several requests for a user-defined scan process directly...
    There's no stronger way for me to acknowledge the feature request than my participation in a thread talking about it.

Should we then assume that this will not be added or changed in the future?
    That's correct. As of today's release we've resolved most edge cases related to scanning as reported by customers. That's going to remain our priority.

The key message I want to leave with everybody reading this is: Let our support folks know if you have problems. They want to help. It's how issues get officially tracked, tested, and fixed.

The free Kinoma FreePlay was updated too, and it shares the same media scanner as Kinoma Play. We'd be very happy if you'd use it, let us know if it's scanning folders that it shouldn't, and then buy Kinoma Play when you're ready.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Thank you! your answer is straight forward and direct. I very much appreciate your candidness! I obviously know you didnt create the program for me nor would I expect individual, special consideration. You need to make the program as attractive to as many people as possible. Unfortunately, without the ability to choose what media folders to scan I will not be purchasing this program. Based on the feedback I am reading on this thread; I'm probably not the only one.
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast