Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021
    Any fix for the file association hijacking?
    The "Exit" option needs to be as universal in Kinoma Play (and FreePlay) as the "Now Playing" option. (Takes me extra time when getting out of my car, just to flip Kinoma Play to the screen where I can exit, that's a hassle.)

And it needs BT remote control functionality.

Those are my top 2 requests.
    Darnell,

Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    For MP3 playback, Kinoma Play's CPU utilization will be within a few percentage points of other MP3 players. (You can measure that with Task Manager.)
    Charles, this is a matter that really depends on the user.
    Take comfort that CPU utilization is a measurable, objective fact, so it's doesn't depend on a person's opinion.

I can have a song playing in most any application and at times usually see 0% CPU, but memory is being used and the battery is facing faster drain than when no music is playing and the device is fully in standby mode.
    No, happily that's not true. If Kinoma Play is running but not doing anything, you can see yourself that it uses 0% of your CPU time (and so 0% of your battery).

Kinoma likes to use around 6 MB of memory when it's available, which is a little over 10% of the available RAM on my little Motorola Q9c. I don't personally think of that as a lot, when iTunes -- which does a lot less than Kinoma Play -- is using 20X that on my PC right now.

We developed (and several of us use) Kinoma Play on smartphones that are pretty old, and in many cases have less than half the available RAM of currently-shipping phones. It's typically not an issue. If your phone needs the RAM for something else, it'll automatically quit apps that aren't doing anything. I don't personally use the Exit command, FWIW.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Hey Charles, hope all is well in Kinoma land .

Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    No, happily that's not true. If Kinoma Play is running but not doing anything, you can see yourself that it uses 0% of your CPU time (and so 0% of your battery).
    My statement:
    I can have a song playing in most any application and at times usually see 0% CPU, but memory is being used and the battery is facing faster drain than when no music is playing and the device is fully in standby mode.
    Was about the program being in use with a song playing and even then there are times where the program shows 0% CPU usage, but certainly resources are being used including battery, because something is making the music play.

As for when a program is running but not engaged in a task, that's a debate I'll leave to individual users to decide for themselves. Because none of us agree on that. Personally, close all I'm not using, because I've got one of those devices that drains battery faster when idle apps are open, but that's just mine, I know there are others who disagree. We each just have to do what works best for us individually.

If your phone needs the RAM for something else, it'll automatically quit apps that aren't doing anything.
    When mine is tasked for resources it usually just locks up .

I don't personally use the Exit command, FWIW.
    But Charles a whole lot of us do, that's why we keep requesting an Exit option that is as easy to reach as "Now Playing" throughout Kinoma Play. Think about the rest of us please . We know you're not experiencing some of the resource issues the rest of us are seeing, but I know you don't think all of us are lying when we speak of resource concerns and a desire to close out of Kinoma easily.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Charles, is this your way of saying an exit feature in all menus isnt something thats being considered for future release?
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    --kinda late on this post. but i might try kinoma---nice .

does it do audio recording? if not---does anyone know of a proggie that does that? say like a 3 minute guitar/vocal song? thanks......PH
    Quote Originally Posted by ehehat View Post
    Charles, is this your way of saying an exit feature in all menus isnt something thats being considered for future release?
    I don't know what they're planning, but Charles has it dead on as far as resources and such goes.

When an application isn't being used, it's not any additional resource/power drain on the system.

Now obviously there are resources being used when a program is active (such as listening to music), but when the music is stopped those resources are no longer being used.

Regardless if you have 6 megs in use or 60 megs in use, the full RAM chip is still being powered, so merely having a program loaded into memory doesn't mean it's using any additional power/CPU. It's only when the program is actually active that power/CPU is being used.

WM6.1 has some excellent memory management features. Unfortunately there are some programs out there that aren't coded with those features in mind, and refuse to close out when WM politely requests that they do so. Fortunately, Kinoma Player (in my experience) is not one of those.

The only time I manually close an application is when I need it to be closed, which usually means something I'm developing. Outside of development apps, I never close apps and have zero problems with WM's management.

I used to be one of those folks who *ALWAYS* closed out apps manually (just like I used to disconnect the network data connection manually). I seem to recall arguing with Mal about that...and losing.

I think that people want to close out programs because they have the same perception of them as they do with a regular Windows box. The fact is, that's simply not a fair comparison in the vast majority of cases. Frankly, I wish that XP/Vista had half the memory management capabilities that WM does.

Anyway, if your device is functioning properly there's no problem with leaving Kimona Player open. If you need more memory, WM will shut it down for you automatically (assuming you don't have it active/playing of course). And Kimona Player is certainly one of the lighter media players I've used as far as memory/CPU usage goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    And Kimona Player is certainly one of the lighter media players I've used as far as memory/CPU usage goes.
    Lighter in comparison with? Honestly, every other player I've checked out uses less than Kinoma.

WM checking and going through the process of shutting down applications (making the request and the application receiving the request and initiating shut down if compliant) I'm sure is performed via some resources being utilized. If apps are already closed, that's less overhead for WM to deal with.

I never wrote a single line of code for Kinoma, but if it's at all like GUIs for most other applications, I think we who do development work know it would likely be extremely easy for Kinoma to add an "exit" option in more areas of the application.

Piehole - Kinoma does not do recording. I have seen requests for that and it would be a nice feature. Only since you asked for another program that does, I'll mention in this thread that Resco Pocket Radio does.
    Lighter in comparison with? Honestly, every other player I've checked out uses less than Kinoma.

WM checking and going through the process of shutting down applications (making the request and the application receiving the request and initiating shut down if compliant) I'm sure is performed via some resources being utilized. If apps are already closed, that's less overhead for WM to deal with.

I never wrote a single line of code for Kinoma, but if it's at all like GUIs for most other applications, I think we who do development work know it would likely be extremely easy for Kinoma to add an "exit" option in more areas of the application.

Piehole - Kinoma does not do recording. I have seen requests for that and it would be a nice feature. Only since you asked for another program that does, I'll mention in this thread that Resco Pocket Radio does.
    thanks Darnell------yup thats the only thing missing from Kinoma. will check Resco
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Kinoma has now taken to skipping/stuttering. GRRRRRRRRRRR

I am getting fed up with this piece of software.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Kinoma has now taken to skipping/stuttering. GRRRRRRRRRRR

I am getting fed up with this piece of software.
    Do you have anything else running at the same time? I've found when you have other stuff going on, especially after upping A2DP settings, there are occasional skips. Check Task Manager and see if killing other apps helps any.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Do you have anything else running at the same time? I've found when you have other stuff going on, especially after upping A2DP settings, there are occasional skips. Check Task Manager and see if killing other apps helps any.
    Nope, it was doing after a reset.

I had it installed on the card (16GB), and I loaded it with almost 4 GB left. The skipping started after that. So I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it on the Treo, that seems to have cured it thus far.
    Nope, it was doing after a reset.

I had it installed on the card (16GB), and I loaded it with almost 4 GB left. The skipping started after that. So I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it on the Treo, that seems to have cured it thus far.
    Hope this does not indicate performance issues with the 16GB MicroSDHC cards. I don't plan to buy one till they have class 6 versions available. I'm not sure if the 800w can take full advantage of a faster card, but I'll wait anyway.

Who made your 16GB card?
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Hope this does not indicate performance issues with the 16GB MicroSDHC cards. I don't plan to buy one till they have class 6 versions available. I'm not sure if the 800w can take full advantage of a faster card, but I'll wait anyway.

Who made your 16GB card?
    SnaDisk made the 16GB, it is rated as a Class 2. The thing I find odd though, is it played fine when there was 7GB on there.
    NRG,

Thanks! This is really useful information.

We don't recommend installing Kinoma Play on a Storage Card because there's such a wide variation in speed and quality, so our support team always asks people if they've installed to a Storage Card when customers report problems. That said, some people appear to be able to run Kinoma Play from a Storage Card without problems. What you've found may present an opportunity to offer more specific guidance.

Your experience suggests that Class 2 Storage Cards aren't fast enough to support Kinoma Play. Is there anybody that's run into problems running Kinoma Play from, say, a Class 6 Storage Card?

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    I run Kinoma Play from my 8GB Class 6 card and have not had issues with skipping.

The only time I get skips is when I do enough multitasking to make it happen, but at that point nothing works well .
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021