Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Uninstalled, reinstalled, and now it won't even load. Just sits there spinning the Wheel of Fortune.
    Did you do a soft reset in between uninstalling and re-installing? I found that I needed to do that for other software.

I really like Kinoma, but I stopped using it since it's such a memory hog. It would make my Treo be sluggish.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Did you do a soft reset in between uninstalling and re-installing? I found that I needed to do that for other software.
    I did, I even tried different locations (i.e. SD Card and Internal)

I really like Kinoma, but I stopped using it since it's such a memory hog. It would make my Treo be sluggish.
    There is no doubt the thing is a pig, but I like it's functions. All players make the Treo sluggish from my experience.
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Neck deep in the Hard Reset. Gonna install just Kinoma, then take it from there.
    NRG, you don't have a good recent backup? So you can hard reset and restore the backup? Or is that what you plan when you mention you're going to have to hard reset?

I'm finding, these WM devices need to have more resources available than they come close to using with their default configuration. (Speaking from my experiences with just the 800w of course, so my view is limited.) It seems they are made to run what comes on them native just fine, but add a slick new app that needs some resources and things don't always go well. For mutli-processing devices, there needs to be more beefed up hardware in them. Even the Touch Pro, while faster hardware, it's used on Touch Flo. These things need more than enough hardware resources.
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    NRG, you don't have a good recent backup? So you can hard reset and restore the backup? Or is that what you plan when you mention you're going to have to hard reset?
    I do, but not gonna go that route. Gonna go fresh.
    [...] Also, try a soft reset, then start Kinoma and let it play a while, to see if you get SMS messages after some time.
    (Thanks for offering suggestions, darnell! I was stumped...)

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy6996 View Post
    For some reason, when I have Kinoma Play running in the background, my Treo stops receiving SMS messages. It is weird, because as soon as I force Kinoma closed, i'll get them all.
    If you do figure out the cause of this, I'd really appreciate if you could post back.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    That doesn't sound normal. If you're not doing anything, Kinoma Play doesn't use any CPU time. You could be experiencing a memory-related slowdown, but I've never noticed any slowdowns on my little Q9c (which has half the RAM).

If you experience this again, you might want to consider contact our support folks.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Alright, I hard reset, and still got the error. Time to delete Kinoma's database, and rebuild it.
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Alright, I hard reset, and still got the error. Time to delete Kinoma's database, and rebuild it.
    That did the trick. Deleted the Kinoma folder on the Storage card, and it started right up.

I am beginning to think Kinoma's database is suspect.

Charles, was the freezing while switching tracks issue related to the database as well?
    My device is very sluggish while Kinoma is playing music as well. Even typing a text message, the characters are 5-6 characters behind what I am typing and often misses key presses. If I want to do ANYTHING else while playing music, I have to pause the track to do so. Kind of defeats the purpose of WM. Kinoma should operate on less resources while playing in the background, kind of like the default WMP.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    Kinoma should operate on less resources while playing in the background, kind of like the default WMP.
    Try and play a track in the background with WMP, and see if it is still sluggish. On my device, WMP makes it sluggish as well.
    My device is very sluggish while Kinoma is playing music as well. Even typing a text message, the characters are 5-6 characters behind what I am typing and often misses key presses. If I want to do ANYTHING else while playing music, I have to pause the track to do so. Kind of defeats the purpose of WM. Kinoma should operate on less resources while playing in the background, kind of like the default WMP.
    I have the same problem. I can use PTunes and don't have any lag while listening to music.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    wmp playing in the background does not make my treo 800w sluggish.
    That did the trick. Deleted the Kinoma folder on the Storage card, and it started right up.
    Interesting...my guess is that it got corrupted in a way that Kinoma Play couldn't detect. If you ever experience that again, we'd really appreciate it if you could save the folder as a .zip archive that we could autopsy.

Charles, was the freezing while switching tracks issue related to the database as well?
    No, we never were able to reproduce that on our farm of devices.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    My device is very sluggish while Kinoma is playing music as well. [...] Kinoma should operate on less resources while playing in the background, kind of like the default WMP.
    For MP3 playback, Kinoma Play's CPU utilization will be within a few percentage points of other MP3 players. (You can measure that with Task Manager.)

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    For MP3 playback, Kinoma Play's CPU utilization will be within a few percentage points of other MP3 players. (You can measure that with Task Manager.)

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Charles, this is a matter that really depends on the user. For some of us, the superior easy to use interface of Kinoma Play is preferred. We're willing to sacrifice some resources for it. But for others they'll take a slimmer interface for less resource usage. While there is often talk here about CPU utilization, memory usage, how much a program needs to load from storage to system memory is also a factor and it uses resources. It reduces battery life. Low CPU usage does not matter much if memory and storage are being used to a great degree, just the memory and storage usage can have a significant impact on performance. I can have a song playing in most any application and at times usually see 0% CPU, but memory is being used and the battery is facing faster drain than when no music is playing and the device is fully in standby mode.

I don't think this is a matter you'll ever be able to satisfy for those who desire the least amount of resources to be used, because you'd have to make an interface that the rest of us would simply find to be less useful. This is like preference of Touch Flo versus turning it off on an HTC Touch Pro, some love it and some do not. But using it requires a bit more of the device resources.

I'm sure Kinoma Play could run equal to WMP if you simply wrote a copy of WMP, but Kinoma is appreciated by some of us for being more than WMP, including its user interface. I'm sure you could make something that uses less resources than WMP if you made a player that had less to offer than WMP and just played MP3s with no display of album art or other features such as track navigation, but again that would tick a lot of us off. Some of us want the bells and whistles we've come to enjoy in Kinoma Play.

I've found that applications run about the same on resources whether they are running in the foreground or background.

I think Kinoma should keep resource utilization in mind, but an application running a superior interface is always going to come in a bit heavier in resource usage.
    words
    Wholeheartedly agree with this post. The feature set Kinoma offers is what made me pay for the app practically minutes after playing with the free version, and why I show it to all my friends.

I just wish it was better about multi-tasking. I confirmed that it's not the fact that media is playing again yesterday by streaming video through orb using WMP, transmitting the audio to my bluetooth headset, and I could still type in other applications with no lag between keystrokes.
  18.    #398  
    Get me XM radio stream option in services and an option to raise volume (compared to Pocketmusic app) without reducing quality and I will pay full price again
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Is Kinoma supposed to support bookmarking? A friend told me that if he starts playing a podcast, then later reopens it from History it will start playing where he left off.

However, if I start a podcast, open something else, then go back to the podcast in history, it starts from the beginning.

This is a must for listening to podcasts or audiobooks.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I purchased Kinoma Play also within minutes of playing with the free version. I have some recommendations.
    1. "Exit" within menu from anywhere within the software. (This is a huge issue to me and mentioned by others)
    2. "Zoom" feature within menu while watching videos. (This will allow letterbox videos to be zoomed to fill the screen)
    3. "Download" function within Youtube non-functional? I am currently using youtubeplayer to save videos which has this function operational, so why is Kimoma Player's function disabled? I would also like the option to save video as .mp3....also available in youtubeplayer.

I absolutely love this program enough that I purchased it and look forward to seeing the above mentioned changes in the near future.