1.    #1  
    This weekend I had the opportunity to use the GPS with Sprint Navigation while on a long drive, hours.

I have to note, that in my car's cigarette lighter, I use a splitter, to power both my Treo 800w and a radar detector. (The Treo can't tell me where the cops are . Although it can tell me via Sprint Navigation/Telenav if an accident pops up.)

So during the drive, I noticed the Treo 800w's battery was continually draining downward, after over 2 hours I was below 40% . I turned off the radar detector, to see if that might help (still had the splitter in with everything plugged in though) and the Treo 800w battery kept going downward.

In the past I've had the radar detector running and Treo 800w plugged into the car's cigarette lighter with the Treo turned off and the Treo's battery was replenished quickly. Times in the past where I've used GPS with the radar detector running were short trips, so I never noticed the battery drain, but I thought the battery was actually going upward on those short trips. But for this latest drive, which was the first long test, I'm sure the Sprint data coverage varied at times and that probably caused more of a drain.

I know GPS (aGPS) with Sprint Navigation uses both the data and GPS connections at the same time. It seems perhaps they drain the battery faster than a car charger can replenish. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm considering seeing how the next long drive goes if I use the Sprint Power Pack to power the Treo, but I don't have another long drive planned for some time out.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    This weekend I had the opportunity to use the GPS with Sprint Navigation while on a long drive, hours.

I have to note, that in my car's cigarette lighter, I use a splitter, to power both my Treo 800w and a radar detector. (The Treo can't tell me where the cops are . Although it can tell me via Sprint Navigation/Telenav if an accident pops up.)

So during the drive, I noticed the Treo 800w's battery was continually draining downward, after over 2 hours I was below 40% . I turned off the radar detector, to see if that might help (still had the splitter in with everything plugged in though) and the Treo 800w battery kept going downward.

In the past I've had the radar detector running and Treo 800w plugged into the car's cigarette lighter with the Treo turned off and the Treo's battery was replenished quickly. Times in the past where I've used GPS with the radar detector running were short trips, so I never noticed the battery drain, but I thought the battery was actually going upward on those short trips. But for this latest drive, which was the first long test, I'm sure the Sprint data coverage varied at times and that probably caused more of a drain.

I know GPS (aGPS) with Sprint Navigation uses both the data and GPS connections at the same time. It seems perhaps they drain the battery faster than a car charger can replenish. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm considering seeing how the next long drive goes if I use the Sprint Power Pack to power the Treo, but I don't have another long drive planned for some time out.
    A Motorola charger (either V9 or V3 with adapter) will charge an 800w while using GPS.
    What brand is your charger?

What is the output? 5 volts at 500 mA or 1 Amp?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by EMB Driver View Post
    What brand is your charger?

What is the output? 5 volts at 500 mA or 1 Amp?
    My apologies for not mentioning. I intended to and forgot to in my initial post.

I'm using the Motorola MicroUSB High Performance Car Charger.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by willysp View Post
    A Motorola charger (either V9 or V3 with adapter) will charge an 800w while using GPS.
    How long of a drive did you use it on? Because I'm using the Motorola MicroUSB High Performance Car Charger.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I use the Motorola Vehicle charger 89143N (Edit: Same as Darnell) to charge my 800 while using Sprint Nav. I bought it for under $6.
    Used Sprint Nav on a 1.5 hour trip into the sticks the other day and my walmart/durabrand charger kept up just fine.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    How long of a drive did you use it on? Because I'm using the Motorola MicroUSB High Performance Car Charger.
    Forget how long (maybe 45 minutes), but I did check and the battery had a higher % charge at the end of the drive than it did at the beginning.

And both my micro and mini Moto chargers came from eBay...

Did you try your charger with the splitter physically removed?

Did you try your charger with the splitter physically removed?
    I was going to suggest the same thing. Try without the splitter to see if there's a difference.
    You also may want to check on the temperature of the battery. I live in Florida, and sometimes on long car rides if I don't keep the phone cool the safety circuitry will turn the charge rate down to prevent the battery from exploding.
    I would imagine the splitter is the issue. The car battery can only power so much.

I have the same charger and I used it with GPS when the battery was almost drained and it was fully charged in an hour.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Thats why you need a charger that can do 1 AMP output.

I done this exercise before on my Axim x51v. If your battery is not at 95%, then its just drain n drain even if you had it plug in with the GPS running.
    Trapster can let you know where cops are... used to work great on my Blackberry, installed it on the 800w and though it seems a little more cumbersome than on the Blackberry, gets the job done...

Quote Originally Posted by 800w4me View Post
    Trapster can let you know where cops are... used to work great on my Blackberry, installed it on the 800w and though it seems a little more cumbersome than on the Blackberry, gets the job done...
    Not quite the samething as a radar detector... but better than nothing as this wouldn't be illegal in VA and DC
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Not quite the samething as a radar detector... but better than nothing as this wouldn't be illegal in VA and DC
    (VA and DC = enemies of freedom )

Yea nothing beats a good radar detector. The suggestions to toss the splitter are logical, but for me I'd toss the GPS before I'd toss the radar detector . I can use my Sprint Power Pack for the Treo if needed.

But I'm hoping this was some sort of one time fluke. I've always thought the battery power was going up when using both for shorter trips. I recall an hour ride using both where I'm fairly certain the power went up. It's an old splitter too . I probably should get a replacement if this continues.

It was just a bit scary seeing the power drop .
    Quote Originally Posted by 800w4me View Post
    I used Trapster during my commute home along with GPSToday in persistent mode the whole way. I had the 800w plugged in using the same Moto car charger. It charged my battery from 34% to 69% in 45 minutes.
    I've mentioned it elsewhere that using Live Search (center on GPS) and plugged in gave me a net-gain in charge after 45mins of usage.

If I can pull down RevA map data, use GPS and still check my email while on 100% brightness and still gain power (not a ton, probably like 5-7%), surely there is another explanation for losing power when using much less than that...

Splitter is probably it, imo.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Mine does the same thing with the Sprint provided car charger.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ocbizlaw View Post
    Mine does the same thing with the Sprint provided car charger.
    Given the other issues you've said you are having, you have a VERY defective device and need another replacement.

Since that one trip where I saw battery life going down, I've been testing without the splitter and battery life went up. (My latest testing happened to be a trip on city streets, so no radar detector was needed .) I'm thinking my issues on that long trip were an odd fluke or caused by the splitter.
  20.    #20  
    I've had time to confirm it was a one time fluke. Ever since, even when using the splitter things have worked fine. And I'm sure now that things were working fine before that one instance. Probably was something splitter related, or if there was something in the Treo than the battery charging update is applied. Basically, all is well .

(Next car, I'll have to see about making sure it has 2 car power jacks .)