Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 87
  1. dvdmon's Avatar
    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
       #1  
    Right now it seems we have a whole lot of reports scattered over many threads. I was wondering if we might try to consolidate something in one thread and this first post can be the actual list which we can update based on responses? My thought is that we could put next to each bug something to the effect of whether or not some people do not experience the bug, whether it's unpredictable, etc. Any other ideas?

    So far:

    1) Audio shuts off and causes system freeze sometimes: this is a bug I get sometimes, but occasionally it doesn't happen. Basically, when I'm listening to audio, whether through the wired headset, or bluetooth, and I turn the screen off, after a couple of seconds the audio turns off. When I turn the screen back on, the audio starts up again. However, sometimes the phone stops responding (although the audio keeps playing) and eventually it needs a soft reset. It might have something to do with the screensaver, since disabling the screensaver sometimes removes this bug, but not always. I've experienced this both with Pocket Tunes and with Audible player, so I suspect it is not an application bug. Any others experience this?

    2) Power settings for battery and external power sometimes stick on the external power settings even when not connected to a power source.

    3) If the phone vibrates when answering a phone call the audio in the call is garbled with a buzzing sound.

    4) Audio sounds levels are all over the place. For speakerphone you have to keep it at the bottom in-call volume setting to avoid crackling. Ear piece setting has to be max to hear ok, but even then it's not adequate in noisy environments. Bluetooth in-call volume is way too low even at max in-call volume setting. Yes I do consider these bugs.

    5) Phone call audio quality via the ear piece is sub par.

    6) Some incoming phone calls do not register on the device in any way. Probably a Sprint network issue, but hasn't been confirmed either way as yet.

    7) BT call audio volume levels reset to minimum at the beginning of each call.

    8) Phone does not like to register ActiveSync connections all of the time and must be disconnected and reconnected to activate sync (this seems like it may be a cable issue as plugging it in hard alleviates the problem).

    9) Activesync sometimes work and sometimes it doesnt work.

    10) GPS not standalone as specified by Palm

    11) In programs>maps, if you search for a multiple instance item, eg "usps", "fedex", "citibank" the first couple of times you execute a search the results are sorted by distance order. After that they are random, often returning very great distances and place closer instances further down or not reporting them at all.

    12) Some incoming phone calls do not register on the device in any way. Probably a Sprint network issue, but hasn't been confirmed either way as yet.

    13) If a program name is really long and spills off the edge of the window in "Remove Programs", the wrong program gets uninstalled.

    14) Activesync disconnects when I press the red call end button to turn off the screen and won't connect again without a soft reset. I'm connected via USB cable.

    15) when i plug in and activesync isnt recognized and the red led doesnt turn on, the battery actually drains!?!?

    16) Windows Vista (perhaps others?) don't always recognize the 800w when it's plugged in. One has to unplug and replug in once or twice to have it recognized properly.

    17) The low battery notification wakes up the device and even when Keyguard is active, the screen will remain on until the notification is manually dismissed; this behavior can rapidly drain the little battery power left.

    18) The Backlight control does not work, the device will dim the screen in 30-seconds regardless of the chosen value; the settings need to be changed via regstry tweaks to make them "stick".

    19) Screen saver will sometimes turn on the backlight at full intensity after receiving an email.

    20) Randomly does not display an incoming call number as a recognized contact even though I have it entered. Soft reset fixes it.
    Last edited by dvdmon; 08/28/2008 at 10:15 AM.
    Twitter: @dvdmon

  2. #2  
    Here is my list.

    - Power settings for battery and external power sometimes stick on the external power settings even when not connected to a power source.

    - If the phone vibrates when answering a phone call the audio in the call is garbled with a buzzing sound.

    - Audio sounds levels are all over the place. For speakerphone you have to keep it at the bottom in-call volume setting to avoid crackling. Ear piece setting has to be max to hear ok, but even then it's not adequate in noisy environments. Bluetooth in-call volume is way too low even at max in-call volume setting. Yes I do consider these bugs.

    - Phone call audio quality via the ear piece is sub par.

    - Some incoming phone calls do not register on the device in any way. Probably a Sprint network issue, but hasn't been confirmed either way as yet.

    I think that's all I've found so far.
  3. #3  
    To add to this list:

    - BT call audio volume levels reset to minimum at the beginning of each call.

    - Phone does not like to register ActiveSync connections all of the time and must be disconnected and reconnected to activate sync (this seems like it may be a cable issue as plugging it in hard alleviates the problem).
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  4. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #4  
    This is a wonderful idea. It would be great where anyone can update post #1 or #2. Otherwise its a long thead to read.

    My biggest thing now is that my activesync sometimes work and sometimes it doesnt work. I need to get it going so I can tether on it. By the time I get it going 20 mins later, my boss had come in!

    Other thing is more of a hardware, there are no soft reset or hard reset button and you cant turn it off unless you unplug the battery.
  5. dvdmon's Avatar
    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    This is a wonderful idea. It would be great where anyone can update post #1 or #2. Otherwise its a long thead to read.

    My biggest thing now is that my activesync sometimes work and sometimes it doesnt work. I need to get it going so I can tether on it. By the time I get it going 20 mins later, my boss had come in!

    Other thing is more of a hardware, there are no soft reset or hard reset button and you cant turn it off unless you unplug the battery.
    Thanks. I'm going to avoid your comment about hardware because that's not the point of this list. Also, while we might have some great ideas for "enhancements" maybe that should be a different list and this should just be stuff that we know should work in a certain way but doesn't?

    I'll try to reorganize the first post, maybe categorize it, etc. as time allows...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

  6. #6  
    Another annoyance...phone only vibrates 1 time when the switch is off or if it is on w/ vibrate selected. A brand new phone doesn't do this, but when the ringer is changed, it will only vibrate 1 time.
  7. #7  
    - GPS not standalone as specified by Palm
    - maps function sorts distance the first few time sit is invoked and then stops
  8. dvdmon's Avatar
    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    - GPS not standalone as specified by Palm
    - maps function sorts distance the first few time sit is invoked and then stops

    I'm not sure I understand your second one, can you explain a bit more or rephrase?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your second one, can you explain a bit more or rephrase?
    yes, several threads mention this. It is a known bug. Sprint support says they don't know why it is happening.

    In programs>maps, if you search for a multiple instance item, eg "usps", "fedex", "citibank" the first couple of times you execute a search the results are sorted by distance order. After that they are random, often returning very great distances and place closer instances further down or not reporting them at all.

    I have not seen a fix other then hard reset which fixes this temporarily and then the problem returns.

    here is a thread on this. there are a number of mentions in palms forums.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=live+search
  10. #10  
    Something that "helped" but did NOT "solve" my BT volume issue, is starting a call, then turning the volume all the way up USING THE VOLUME BUTTONS ON THE TREO, NOT THE BT HEADSET VOLUME BUTTONS. After doing that a few times, now the volume on my BT headset defaults to a higher setting, but still not the max that I press the volume to every time.
  11. #11  
    On the active stink thing, using a Bluetooth connection removes that problem concerning the grabbing of the port with a wired connection.

    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    To add to this list:

    - BT call audio volume levels reset to minimum at the beginning of each call.

    - Phone does not like to register ActiveSync connections all of the time and must be disconnected and reconnected to activate sync (this seems like it may be a cable issue as plugging it in hard alleviates the problem).
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    On the active stink thing, using a Bluetooth connection removes that problem concerning the grabbing of the port with a wired connection.
    Thanks for the info. However, BT connections drain battery and I'd rather have my wired connection functioning correctly.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Something that "helped" but did NOT "solve" my BT volume issue, is starting a call, then turning the volume all the way up USING THE VOLUME BUTTONS ON THE TREO, NOT THE BT HEADSET VOLUME BUTTONS. After doing that a few times, now the volume on my BT headset defaults to a higher setting, but still not the max that I press the volume to every time.
    I've tried that to no effect but I'll give it another try next time I get a call on my headset and see what happens.

    Either way this is definitely a bug that needs to be addressed in my opinion.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  14. #14  
    - Some incoming phone calls do not register on the device in any way. Probably a Sprint network issue, but hasn't been confirmed either way as yet.

    THIS IS HUGE. My wife and I both bought an 800w and this is happening to both of us. We have been sprint customers for 8yrs + and have not had this problem with any other phone. We have a 7mo old in daycare and my wife has missed calls from them. I am on the road 4 days a week and have missed calls from my wife...we are so close to going in and raising heck to get a different phone even though we are past the 30 day exchange period.

    - BT call audio volume levels reset to minimum at the beginning of each call.

    - Phone does not like to register ActiveSync connections all of the time and must be disconnected and reconnected to activate sync (this seems like it may be a cable issue as plugging it in hard alleviates the problem).

    - Activesync sometimes work and sometimes it doesnt work.

    - GPS not standalone as specified by Palm

    The rest of these are bus that we are experiencing...but not as big an issue as the first. A new phone is going to be buggy...but at least the PHONE part of it should work.
  15. #15  
    You know, you guys aren't giving me that warm and fuzzy about the 800W coming to Verizon.

    I really want to stick with a Palm device when my new every 2 is up in October, preferably one with a Palm OS, but that's pretty much out of the question. I read the 800W is on it's way to Verizon, but reading this, I think I'll pass.

    Not saying you guys shouldn't be complaining because truthfully had I known about this site before purchasing my 700P, I would have bought something else.

    Sorry for the hijack.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by NPR_aficionado View Post
    - Some incoming phone calls do not register on the device in any way. Probably a Sprint network issue, but hasn't been confirmed either way as yet.

    THIS IS HUGE. My wife and I both bought an 800w and this is happening to both of us. We have been sprint customers for 8yrs + and have not had this problem with any other phone. We have a 7mo old in daycare and my wife has missed calls from them. I am on the road 4 days a week and have missed calls from my wife...we are so close to going in and raising heck to get a different phone even though we are past the 30 day exchange period.
    I don't think it is a network issue since this is not happening at all with the BB on our account, nor has it happened with our prior palm treos. Yet it is happening, along with missed text notification on all of our 800W units -- with and without third party software.

    The first two Sprint techs told me there were no reports of this bug, even though many users related it here. The second two both told me it has to do with WM and both recommended soft resetting the device every single day.

    I think if they can't fix this, perhaps a good bug fix would be a firmware update that triggers a soft reset at 2 am every day.

    I agree it is a serious problem, perhaps the top bug since it effects the basic use of the phone as a phone.
  17. dvdmon's Avatar
    Posts
    599 Posts
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    You know, you guys aren't giving me that warm and fuzzy about the 800W coming to Verizon.

    I really want to stick with a Palm device when my new every 2 is up in October, preferably one with a Palm OS, but that's pretty much out of the question. I read the 800W is on it's way to Verizon, but reading this, I think I'll pass.

    Not saying you guys shouldn't be complaining because truthfully had I known about this site before purchasing my 700P, I would have bought something else.

    Sorry for the hijack.
    The thing of it is, at least IMHO, is that all phones are going to have bugs and issues. The pace of release of these things, and the costs involved in thoroughly testing them, the complexities involved in real world apps, etc., etc. means that you are going to see issues like this on many smartphones. They may not be the same issues, but there will be issues. I've experienced this on every Treo I've had, and have heard of complaints of various blackberries and phones with other OS's. The iPhone has it's own set of issues.

    We all hate to see these things, but the truth of the matter is that you can't escape them. The best you can do is to buy a phone from a company that's fairly responsive about fixing these things. Unfortanetly for Palm, I wouldn't say they are, as their updates normally come out many months after the initial release of the phone. Then again, some manufacturers never provide updates at all. The second thing you can do is to pick a phone that has an online community around it that can either by its numbers pressure the manufacturer into providing fixes before they might otherwise have, or even coming out with hacks/workarounds that will bypass the issues...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

  18. #18  
    The system alarms are funky. FizzAlarm set to fire at X time, the system clock set to fire at XX time - neither fires. This does not happen often, but more than once is too often. The developer of FizzAlarm... well.
  19. hyphen's Avatar
    Posts
    261 Posts
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    #19  
    one thing to add maybe its just my treo but I get a lot of texts for business and work so I have to do a lot of forwarding from one source to another.... everytime I forward a text to someone the person I forwarded it to get it to shows up as an unread text. but im the one that sent it..

    is anyone else having this issue?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    The thing of it is, at least IMHO, is that all phones are going to have bugs and issues. The pace of release of these things, and the costs involved in thoroughly testing them, the complexities involved in real world apps, etc., etc. means that you are going to see issues like this on many smartphones. They may not be the same issues, but there will be issues. I've experienced this on every Treo I've had, and have heard of complaints of various blackberries and phones with other OS's. The iPhone has it's own set of issues.

    We all hate to see these things, but the truth of the matter is that you can't escape them. The best you can do is to buy a phone from a company that's fairly responsive about fixing these things. Unfortanetly for Palm, I wouldn't say they are, as their updates normally come out many months after the initial release of the phone. Then again, some manufacturers never provide updates at all. The second thing you can do is to pick a phone that has an online community around it that can either by its numbers pressure the manufacturer into providing fixes before they might otherwise have, or even coming out with hacks/workarounds that will bypass the issues...
    I understand believe me.
    It's just, when I saw that the 800W was coming to Verizon I was a little excited since I've been wondering what I was going to get next.
    But now my excitement has dwindled.

    I know each brand will have their own issues, even each individual device will have it's on issues. My 700P isn't nearly as flawed as others I've read about, but she's older now, she's starting to sag and her mind isn't as sharp as it used to be.
    Maybe Verizon will make the 800W go through extensive testing and fixes before putting their name on it, either way, I'm still in limbo.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions