Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Dilemma - - deciding to buy a palm, stuck between treo 680, 750 or a Centro.
    Was wondering what your opinions are on each of the above (I'm leaning toward to 750 becuase should get 6.1 windows update and may go down in price due to 800 and 850)
    don't count on WM6.1 unless you want to use a cooked ROM. Also, ATT is likely not carrying the 850, so I don't see prices dropping too far anytime soon....
    Suggest you to get the Treo Pro if you don't have any concern about the price. I don't recommend people to buy the discontinued products.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    The 750 is not discontinued. The Treo Pro won't be available in the US until next year and then only for $600 from Palm.
    I'd do it. In fact, I just got a replacement on ebay since i'm overally happy with the Treo 750 after a few tweaks. It will hold me over until the eventual Treo Pro release later on whenver that may be.
    I bought a 750 from Rogers and its holding up well for me. WM 6 is stable so far.

The only issue may be battery life, but once you've configured it not to keep connecting to data (3G) unnecessarily, batt life will be longer.

You just have to note that the screen is 240x240 compared to the 680 which is 320x320.
    Here is what I am seeing:

Treo 750:
    PRO - Really fast 3G network
    CON - Data plan costs $40/month, but hey, it includes 1500 free text messages
    PRO - Nice usable keyboard
    CON - Small screen+low resolution - Browsing the web is no fun
    PRO - Single hand use
    CON - NO Wifi
    PRO - Huge selection [thousands] of apps, most are free
    PRO - Mobile Office, i.e., Word, Excel

Blackberry:
    PRO - Good looking, reliable
    CON - Phone is always more expensive
    CON - Slower Edge network
    CON - Very few free apps, like ten, heck, even themes cost you dearly
    PRO - Nice usable keyboard
    CON - Small screen+low resolution - Browsing the web is no fun
    PRO - Single hand use
    PRO - Wifi
    CON - NO Mobile Office, i.e., Word, Excel

iPhone2G:
    CON - Only 200 free text messages
    CON - No keyboard, no good for my thick fingers
    PRO - Huge high-resolution screen, great for internet
    PRO - Wifi
    CON - Nice selection of apps, most are not free

iPhone 3G:
    CON - No free text messages
    CON - No keyboard, no good for my thick fingers
    PRO - Huge high-resolution screen, great for internet
    PRO - Wifi
    CON - Nice selection of apps, most are not free

I wanted something that I could use with one hand. I work in an office and walk from meeting to meeting with a Franklin-Covey planner in one hand and my Treo 750 in the other, reading/responding to my email with one hand.

The iPhone really requires two hands, in my opinion, unless you are only talking on the phone.

I am eligible for a new phone (from AT&T) in about ten days. I could get an iPhone 3G, or wait for the HTC Touch Pro or Samsung Omnia. I consider the Omnia the same as the iPhone; no keyboard, big screen, Wifi, but it runs Windows Mobile apps, and I am a heavy Microsoft Office user, and it has Mobile Office.

Heck, the Omnia even has an FM radio. So what, you ask? Well, at my farm, which I go to, every weekend, there is spotty cell coverage, so I can't stream internet radio. I actually bought an FM armband radio to use when riding my tractor - Note: I have to wear headphones under noise-blocking ear protection, because the tractor is so loud.

I like having a keyboard. The Touch Pro has one. It is pricey, though, and I don't like paying more than a hundred or so for a phone, if that. The Treo only cost me $99 a year ago, with AT&T (I only had to sign a 1-year agreement, because of our corporate discount).

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with my Treo 750. It would be an easier choice if it was broken, but it works beautifully. No reason for me to replace it yet.

Don't discount a 'real' keyboard on a phone - it makes a heck of a difference.
    Last edited by michaelalanjones; 08/29/2008 at 06:57 AM.
    You can get a refurb 750 from ATT for no cost if your a new account. You can add wifi and gps easily if you really need them. I find 3G fast enough and never bothered but:

http://www.buygpsnow.com/Spectec-SDW...d-80211bg.aspx

http://www.memoryc.com/gpsnavigation...othsdg813.html

The 750 with Rogers already has the WM6.1 update on palm.com so I am sure its coming for the 750 and ATT soon.

Put music on a 4gig miniSD card and you dont need a radio or streaming. I have a bunch of cards, one music, one podcasts, pics, etc....
    Last edited by rkkeller; 08/25/2008 at 08:48 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Thank you all for responding...this is a big help in my decision-making process!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
    I bought a 750 from Rogers and its holding up well for me. WM 6 is stable so far.

The only issue may be battery life, but once you've configured it not to keep connecting to data (3G) unnecessarily, batt life will be longer.

You just have to note that the screen is 240x240 compared to the 680 which is 320x320.

Does the 320 x 320 screen really make a difference? I ask because apparently some reviews (dieter bohn) apparently think it does, particularly with centro.
  11.    #11  
    - - You can get a refurb 750 from ATT for no cost if your a new account.
    Put music on a 4gig miniSD card and you dont need a radio or streaming. I have a bunch of cards, one music, one podcasts, pics, etc....
    What do you think of refurbished phones in general? I know they're cheaper but I'm a bit nervous about them as it sounds like they're repairs of returned broken phones...
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 08/26/2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: fixed quote
    Quote Originally Posted by treo800want View Post
    What do you think of refurbished phones in general? I know they're cheaper but I'm a bit nervous about them as it sounds like they're repairs of returned broken phones...
    Or they could be a phone that was returned within the 30 day window because someone didn't like it...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Quote Originally Posted by treo800want View Post

Like phrogpilot73 said, it may be a 30day return.
    I bought a Refurb from Att, it was as brand new.
    Although, I had to return it for a replacement because the spacebar didn't have a good click feel.
    Att didn't even question me on it.
    The one I have now is just dandy.
    So if you get a refurb, search these forums for every possible issue it may have, and make sure yours doesn't have it.
    Try every possible feature, (bt, IR, etc.)
    Click every button, give it a full test.
    But really, we should do that with all we purchase.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I went from a 320x320 650 to the 240x240 750. Seriously, while I can see a difference, it doesn't matter in daily use.
    My 750 is a refurb and I got free from ATT like I mentioned above and looks pristine. Not a single knick or scratch on it and works fine.

I myself LOVE refurb and floor models of things and buy them all the time. It lets me get things I cant normally afford or would struggle to. My 17" HD widescreen laptop, 56" HDTV, Treo 750 were all about 50-100% less than normal cost and all refurbs or floor models.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post
    My 750 is a refurb and I got free from ATT like I mentioned above and looks pristine. Not a single knick or scratch on it and works fine.

I myself LOVE refurb and floor models of things and buy them all the time. It lets me get things I cant normally afford or would struggle to. My 17" HD widescreen laptop, 56" HDTV, Treo 750 were all about 50-100% less than normal cost and all refurbs or floor models.
    Thank you, RK...I'm considering the refurbished versions for either the 680 or 750, if I don't get the Centro. The 3G on the 750 might be the deciding factor, but i'm not crazy about WM.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    I went from a 320x320 650 to the 240x240 750. Seriously, while I can see a difference, it doesn't matter in daily use.
    I just found this:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/ba...hed-phones.jsp

New phones get a 1 year warranty, right?
    If so, I would be concerned.
    Yesterday I lost 3 pixels.
    I'm going to call Att tuesday.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    Just call me Berd.
    I found this over at Yahoo Answers

Quote:
    "Stay away from buying refurbished phones, i bought my AT&T Tilt phone on march 2008, now my phone is having some problem on the 4th month, since the refurbished phone comes with 3 month warranty, AT&T won't replace your phone, generously they will ask you to buy another phone from them, so be aware of this. Better to go a for new phone, which comes with 1 year warranty."

Oh well,
    I bought the 750 to tide me over tell the 850.
    Maybe I will have to get the Pro after all.
    Just call me Berd.
    Windows Mobile is the future of Palm and the Treo. Might as well get on board now with a Treo 750.

Actually, the Treo 750 with WM 6.0 is very stable. Do consider getting a Seidio Extended Battery however. The 1600 mAh is the biggest one that uses the original battery cover and maintains the lines and feel of the Treo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast