Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Windows Mobile is the future of Palm and the Treo. Might as well get on board now with a Treo 750.

Actually, the Treo 750 with WM 6.0 is very stable. Do consider getting a Seidio Extended Battery however. The 1600 mAh is the biggest one that uses the original battery cover and maintains the lines and feel of the Treo.
    Thank you...I'd definitely consider the Seidio battery for the 750. As for WM 6 and WM in general, that's what I keep reading. That Palm OS is gradually going away, LINUX coming in to replace it, but that WM still growing ( I hear not only WM 6.1 but 7 is also in the works). Also, some here have suggested the 750 now and later the new 850 Treo Pro. So I'm considering getting a refurbished model from ATT for I believe $99 dollars.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelalanjones View Post
    Here is what I am seeing:

Treo 750:
    PRO - Really fast 3G network
    CON - Data plan costs $40/month, but hey, it includes 1500 free text messages
    PRO - Nice usable keyboard
    CON - Small screen+low resolution - Browsing the web is no fun
    PRO - Single hand use
    CON - NO Wifi
    PRO - Huge selection [thousands] of apps, most are free
    PRO - Mobile Office, i.e., Word, Excel

Blackberry:
    PRO - Good looking, reliable
    CON - Phone is always more expensive
    CON - Slower Edge network
    CON - Very few free apps, like ten, heck, even themes cost you dearly
    PRO - Nice usable keyboard
    CON - Small screen+low resolution - Browsing the web is no fun
    PRO - Single hand use
    PRO - Wifi
    CON - NO Mobile Office, i.e., Word, Excel

iPhone2G:
    CON - Only 200 free text messages
    CON - No keyboard, no good for my thick fingers
    PRO - Huge high-resolution screen, great for internet
    PRO - Wifi
    CON - Nice selection of apps, most are not free

iPhone 3G:
    CON - No free text messages
    CON - No keyboard, no good for my thick fingers
    PRO - Huge high-resolution screen, great for internet
    PRO - Wifi
    CON - Nice selection of apps, most are not free

I wanted something that I could use with one hand. I work in an office and walk from meeting to meeting with a Franklin-Covey planner in one hand and my Treo 750 in the other, reading/responding to my email with one hand.

The iPhone really requires two hands, in my opinion, unless you are only talking on the phone.

I am eligible for a new phone (from AT&T) in about ten days. I could get an iPhone 3G, or wait for the HTC Touch Pro or Samsung Omnia. I consider the Omnia the same as the iPhone; no keyboard, big screen, Wifi, but it runs Windows Mobile apps, and I am a heavy Microsoft Office user, and it has Mobile Office.

Heck, the Omnia even has an FM radio. So what, you ask? Well, at my farm, which I go to, every weekend, there is spotty cell coverage, so I can't stream internet radio. I actually bought an FM armband radio to use when riding my tractor - Note: I have to wear headphones under noise-blocking ear protection, because the tractor is so loud.

I like having a keyboard. The Touch Pro has one. It is pricey, though, and I don't like paying more than a hundred or so for a phone, if that. The Treo only cost me $99 a year ago, with AT&T (I only had to sign a 1-year agreement, because of our corporate discount).

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with my Treo 750. It would be an easier choice if it was broken, but it works beautifully. No reason for me to replace it yet.

Don't discount a 'real' keyboard on a phone - it makes a heck of a difference.
    how do you get the data plan for $40/month with 1500 text messages??
    Quote Originally Posted by one028 View Post
    how do you get the data plan for $40/month with 1500 text messages??
    That is the price I get from AT&T. Oh, maybe I was unclear - I have to pay $40/month for the data plan, but that is on top of my voice plan, which also costs me $40. So really, I pay $40 voice + $40 data = $80/month. Does that make it clear?

The data plan I started on, includes 1500 text messages, and I have had that for years. I don't know; maybe the new data plans they sell no longer have 1500 free text messages? Anyone?

So you can see that if I go to another form factor, like the BlackBerry or the iPhone, and they take away my 1500 free text messages, since they might change me to the "BlackBerry plan", or the "iPhone plan", I will not be happy, since I probably send 200 or more text messages a month now, for nothing.

You know, actually, they might not change my data plan terms, since I already have it in place. That would be great - I would get a different phone, but still keep my 1500 free text messages. Yeah, baby!

That will be a factor in my decision.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelalanjones View Post
    That is the price I get from AT&T. Oh, maybe I was unclear - I have to pay $40/month for the data plan, but that is on top of my voice plan, which also costs me $40. So really, I pay $40 voice + $40 data = $80/month. Does that make it clear?

The data plan I started on, includes 1500 text messages, and I have had that for years. I don't know; maybe the new data plans they sell no longer have 1500 free text messages? Anyone?

So you can see that if I go to another form factor, like the BlackBerry or the iPhone, and they take away my 1500 free text messages, since they might change me to the "BlackBerry plan", or the "iPhone plan", I will not be happy, since I probably send 200 or more text messages a month now, for nothing.

You know, actually, they might not change my data plan terms, since I already have it in place. That would be great - I would get a different phone, but still keep my 1500 free text messages. Yeah, baby!

That will be a factor in my decision.
    Also having been "grandfathered" in to a data plan with 1500 messages I can tell you AT&T will do anything or should I say "nothing" to get me out of this plan. I checked into switching to BB or iPhone and they were practically salivating over the phone at the fact it would terminate my current cost plan.
    I tried to escalate the matter with customer service since I only wanted to test drive the BB but once I even thought about going to another plan my old one terminated immediately with NO option to reinstate!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bg1260 View Post
    ...AT&T will do anything or should I say "nothing" to get me out of this plan...they were practically salivating...
    I will do you one better - my $40/month voice plan is for 1000 minutes, rollover, free long distance, no roaming. I discard more minutes each month than many people get, i.e., 500-600, and I have accumulated ~7000 rollover minutes. If you don't know, minutes that roll over also roll-out after 12 months (they don't tell you that at the store). So if I roll over 500 minutes this month, in 12 months, those 500 minutes will be deducted.

Every time I talk to anybody from AT&T, they try to down-sell me on a crappier plan. I tell them, sure, I will take, say, 600 minutes/month, but for $20 or so, and they say they can't do that, so I say, fine, I will stay with my current plan.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Yeah I know, their customer service sucks. I even go as far to say it seemed better when it was Cingular. I also have a terrific plan but I don't even want to say what it is over the internet for my paranoid fear that AT&T is trolling. Hell they rolled over and gave the government our call records! I just keep going along with the plan they gave me. Only true disadvantage is I can't switch to a BB or iPhone. As of now I am so pissed with them and their service I have been tempted to unlock my phones and go to Tmobile once they roll out 3G. I have 4 phones on my plan and I have been out of contract now about 4 months so I am a free agent!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post
    My 750 is a refurb and I got free from ATT like I mentioned above and looks pristine. Not a single knick or scratch on it and works fine.

I myself LOVE refurb and floor models of things and buy them all the time. It lets me get things I cant normally afford or would struggle to. My 17" HD widescreen laptop, 56" HDTV, Treo 750 were all about 50-100% less than normal cost and all refurbs or floor models.

Actually I'd rather buy refurb. A "new" product gets assembled put into a box and sent on it's way. A refurb gets hand repaired, inspected usually by more than just one person to assure it's fully functional which doesn't happen when buying new. Plus it's dirt cheap!
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by got_ink123 View Post
    Actually I'd rather buy refurb. A "new" product gets assembled put into a box and sent on it's way. A refurb gets hand repaired, inspected usually by more than just one person to assure it's fully functional which doesn't happen when buying new. Plus it's dirt cheap!
    Thank you, that's a good point (and tempting). But I still feel safer getting a new 750 with a 1-year warranty over a 3-month warranty with a refurbished one. If the new 750 breaks down and I haggle with them, I'll probably be given a refurbishd one anyway. Price really is not an issue with me - - up to $199 dollars.
    Global Posts
    935 Global Posts
    i used the $15 plan on at&t. at&t is very loose on data plans, ive been using the $15 with wap.cingular and ive been tethering with no charge at all
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forum from Singapore. So a big hi from Singapore.

Can you tell me if ATT sells a Treo 750 non-camera? I need a favor from someone nice to help me get a non-camera Treo 750 for my work. I just LOVE the 750. Got the TP - Treo Pro for a week just couldn't get used to it. TP is faster but I have this program Yanceyware that doesn't want to run on wm6.1

Your help would be wonderful.

Dan
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    When I log in to my "business account" with AT&T, I don't see a non-camera version of the 750 offered, though I am pretty sure such a thing existed in the past. The 750 isn't sold through the "retail" channel - just the Centro now. It's possible one would have to call AT&T and speak to their business account representatives. I don't know how one would order one "for a friend".
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    It's a great PDA, excellent hot sync facility, mobile apps, Internet access and a big screen. Now the bad news is the phone is a bit "temperamental" or "moody" to put it mildly. The calls freeze in mid conversation. And pressing the send or central button does nothing except compound my frustration.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    I never had the phone freeze on call.
    That's the first I ever heard of that.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 01/27/2009 at 01:47 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12