1.    #1  
    I just noticed on palm web, it says we need to buy additional software or some service to enable it. So anyone know what else do we need to buy and how much it would cost?

In the end, this can completely replace the traditional car GPS (usually 200 bucks, with sweet female voice), rite?

THX!
    afaikafaikafaik $it$ $has$ $the$ $GPS$ $hardware$ $but$ $you$ $need$ $to$ $install$ $software$ $and$ $maps$ $for$ $navigation$.

for ex. mapking asia for manila, philippines [which I use on my tytn 2 ] cost me HKD 320

if you're in north america may be you can check out google maps which is free.
    Bny Castro

MTFBWY...
    my blog | twitter
  3.    #3  
    Yeah I'm the States. So I just need to buy one afaikafaikafaik $hardware$, $rite$? $I$ $think$ $google$ $maps$ $is$ $built$ $in$ $Treo$ $pro$ $already$.

Quote Originally Posted by bnycastro View Post
    afaikafaikafaik $it$ $has$ $the$ $GPS$ $hardware$ $but$ $you$ $need$ $to$ $install$ $software$ $and$ $maps$ $for$ $navigation$.

for ex. mapking asia for manila, philippines [which I use on my tytn 2 ] cost me HKD 320

if you're in north america may be you can check out google maps which is free.
    it already has the GPS hardware if it comes loaded with Google Maps then you are good to go. if you do get the treo pro may be try out google maps 1st before deciding to invest in commercial GPS maps.
    Bny Castro

MTFBWY...
    my blog | twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by bnycastro View Post
    it already has the GPS hardware if it comes loaded with Google Maps then you are good to go. if you do get the treo pro may be try out google maps 1st before deciding to invest in commercial GPS maps.

Yes, you can use the free Google maps to get turn by turn real time directions.

However, they will not be spoken to you. You have to read them off the screen. If you want a voice to say "turn right in 100 feet" or "Take Exit 23 South to IL-59", you need to buy a third party piece of software. Popular options. include Copilot, TomTom, Garmin, and iGuidance.

Another option is to subscribe to the carrier's service like AT&T's Telnav. The advantage is maps are constantly updated automatically. The disadvantage is that it is a monthly subscription fee rather than a one-time outlay.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  6.    #6  
    thanks,buddy! I may try a third party software like tomtom for a sweet voice, no more ATT service....

Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    Yes, you can use the free Google maps to get turn by turn real time directions.

However, they will not be spoken to you. You have to read them off the screen. If you want a voice to say "turn right in 100 feet" or "Take Exit 23 South to IL-59", you need to buy a third party piece of software. Popular options. include Copilot, TomTom, Garmin, and iGuidance.

Another option is to subscribe to the carrier's service like AT&T's Telnav. The advantage is maps are constantly updated automatically. The disadvantage is that it is a monthly subscription fee rather than a one-time outlay.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Does it offer the same facility as the Bold, ie to switch off A-GPS to save on data costs, eg when roaming, and to only use 'native' GPS?
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Does it offer the same facility as the Bold, ie to switch off A-GPS to save on data costs, eg when roaming, and to only use 'native' GPS?
    Though Dieter's review says it has Assisted GPS and Native GPS, I see the Palm website says GPS use "requires an account and data services at additional cost".

Does that mean Native GPS can't be used without a data signal after all?
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Does that mean Native GPS can't be used without a data signal after all?
    It depend on which GPS application you are using.

If you are using Google Maps, it has to download the maps and route data, so you will incur a cost. If you use something like Route 66 Mobile, then the maps are stored on your storage card, so no downloads are required.
    I am thinking that with 3G we will be able to run GPS and be on the phone at the same time. Can anyone verify this?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)