Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    OK guys....I have some bad news.

I found out today that this audio adapter is more difficult than we had previously anticipated.

The decision has been made to put this project on hold indefinitely. If something changes I will definitely let you know.

I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences.

Thanks,
    Seidio-

Can you explain why this would be more difficult than you previously thought? I'm just wondering what the technical issue is that your engineers couldn't easily overcome? Thanks.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by xdalaw View Post
    Seidio-

Can you explain why this would be more difficult than you previously thought? I'm just wondering what the technical issue is that your engineers couldn't easily overcome? Thanks.
    Unfortunately I can't go into the details, but in the end the product just wasn't feasible.

Again we apologize for disappointing.

Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Unfortunately I can't go into the details, but in the end the product just wasn't feasible.

Again we apologize for disappointing.

Thanks,
    Never was about the engineering challenge, not that many of us to make the product for. Something like the 1350mAh battery is an engineering challenge, but definetly not the 3.5 mm adaptor.

BigMots
    What's strange is that people are splicing wires to get it working, but a company with pure profit motives could not get a team of engineers (1 or more engineers) to get it working. I guess there's something very funky in trying to make an adapter that plugs right into the MicroUSB port, but having Treo 800w MicroUSB audio wires spliced works. Perhaps Seidio could make a "prettier" version of the wire splicing trick?

Another option is to use the Palm® Mono Headset Adapter for Treo™ 800w and couple to it a 2.5mm-to-3.5mm Jack Adapter, but I guess you lose the true "stereo" sound in that.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Another option is to use the Palm® Mono Headset Adapter for Treo™ 800w and couple to it a 2.5mm-to-3.5mm Jack Adapter, but I guess you lose the true "stereo" sound in that.
    I'm guessing I'll have to go this route. I don't care much about the mono/stereo issue, as I mainly listen to streaming talk and podcasts via an FM transmitter in my car. (Pretty mediocre even on it's best day.)

Unfortunately, I'll also need to buy the split plug to charge and attach the adapter at the same time.

Now we're up near $30.00, which really sort of sucks.

(Had it been miniUSB I'd have been able to use the one that was included for free with my Mogul.)
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xdalaw View Post
    I'm guessing I'll have to go this route. I don't care much about the mono/stereo issue, as I mainly listen to streaming talk and podcasts via an FM transmitter in my car. (Pretty mediocre even on it's best day.)

Unfortunately, I'll also need to buy the split plug to charge and attach the adapter at the same time.

Now we're up near $30.00, which really sort of sucks.

(Had it been miniUSB I'd have been able to use the one that was included for free with my Mogul.)
    dude....
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=168008&page=3
    Why not use the BT3030?
    Quote Originally Posted by hjb417 View Post
    Why not use the BT3030?
    People can sometimes be personal about their headphones if they find a set they really like.

For me, the issue is noise cancellation technology, no BT headset has that yet.
    People can sometimes be personal about their headphones if they find a set they really like.

You can use your noise cancelling headphones with the BT3030. I use my ER4's with mine. Pretty hard to top that kind of quality.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I want to be able to plug into my car stereo like I used to on my 700P.

I don't want to wear headphones while driving.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts

You realize the BT3030 is not a headset, right? It's a bluetooth adapter that allows you to use any headset with a 3.5mm plug. Some have noted that after using hannip's bitpool application the music quality equals or exceeds the modified Palm headset.

http://www.jabra.com/Sites/Jabra/na-...braBT3030.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    You can use your noise cancelling headphones with the BT3030. I use my ER4's with mine. Pretty hard to top that kind of quality.
    When you first mentioned this, I took a look at it and thought it was just another set of headphones, I didn't notice it's actually an interface for using headphones.

Oh yea, that BT 3030 is looking nice now .
    Quote Originally Posted by aixguru View Post
    You realize the BT3030 is not a headset, right? It's a bluetooth adapter that allows you to use any headset with a 3.5mm plug. Some have noted that after using hannip's bitpool application the music quality equals or exceeds the modified Palm headset.

http://www.jabra.com/Sites/Jabra/na-...braBT3030.aspx
    Took me a minute to figure it out, but rc46 repeating the suggestion helped .
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon View Post
    I want to be able to plug into my car stereo like I used to on my 700P.

I don't want to wear headphones while driving.
    You can use the BT3030 to accomplish this if you have a car stereo equipped with a 3.5mm jack. I do this often with rental cars. All you need is a 3.5mm plug to 3.5mm stereo cable. The volume level is acceptable on most car models, but my Nissan Titan factory stereo is a bit low. This was still an issue with my 700p so I think it's a Nissan thing.
    Last edited by aixguru; 09/08/2008 at 09:41 PM.
    Yeah you can, but it means running the BT radio, additional battery drain, and not the same guaranteed perfect connection as a wired solution. Plus it is $50-60.

Just not what I expected when I bought this unit.
    Yeah you can, but it means running the BT radio, additional battery drain, and not the same guaranteed perfect connection as a wired solution. Plus it is $50-60.

My thoughts exactly. I use a splitter so I can power the phone and the fm transmitter.
    What's strange is that people are splicing wires to get it working, but a company with pure profit motives could not get a team of engineers (1 or more engineers) to get it working. I guess there's something very funky in trying to make an adapter that plugs right into the MicroUSB port, but having Treo 800w MicroUSB audio wires spliced works. Perhaps Seidio could make a "prettier" version of the wire splicing trick?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMots View Post
    Never was about the engineering challenge, not that many of us to make the product for. Something like the 1350mAh battery is an engineering challenge, but definetly not the 3.5 mm adaptor.
    BigMots
    It is in a way. There are chips and a circuit board in the oem usb micro headphone adapter. This because USB micro only has between 4 to six usable leads.The adapter has to tell the 800w that connections used for power and data are now to be used for left, right, microphone and hang-up/answer switch.

Seidio would have to duplicate the boards to get it working just right. Users are simply cannibalizing their own 800w headset circuit boards

From a cost perspective this could be prohibitive. Also there could be legal (patent) issues without paying license fees to Palm.

It makes little sense for Seidio, with Palm itself abandoning several "one-time" implementations that occurred on the 800W. Especially if Verizon doesn't pick it up.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

The battery drain can be eliminated by plugging the phone into a car charger.
    Hannip's bitpool application would actually make the sound better than a wired connection. And, the BT3030 is available for $36 plus $6.99 shipping on newegg
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE54 View Post
    Hannip's bitpool application would actually make the sound better than a wired connection. And, the BT3030 is available for $36 plus $6.99 shipping on newegg
    I saw that $36 deal on newegg last night. Do you know how their "bulk" version is any different from the non-bulk version?

For those against the BT3030, keep in mind it is more than a simple BT headphone interface. It also has a mic and allows you to use your headphones as a BT headset too. So you can hear music, a call comes, you take the call and never need to take your headphones off .

And the sound quality is being noted as "better" than a wired connection when the hack is applied.

It's the size of a dog tag.

I'm very close to making a purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE54 View Post
    Good find.

Has anyone used the BT3030 and Hannip's bitpool application with the 800w?

I am interested in getting it but I don't want to be running into issues.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast