Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wanted to take a moment and address something I see happening. The community seems to suddenly feel as if Palm slighted us somehow with the Treo Pro so soon after the Treo 800w, like the 800w is an inferior product in some way.

This is blatently not true. I am a very satisfied Treo 800w user who loves this phone. That being said, lots of what I will mention is pure opinion and subject to individual users tastes so no offense or slight is meant just my opinions.

I applaud Palm for both of these fine devices. Not having seen the Pro I can only address what I have read but I use my 800w every day so I can address it.

The new Pro has a flush screen. This is nice but it is purely an asthetic. I actually prefer my slightly recessed screen, it provides protection and it is much harder to accidentally trigger something while in the case.

The Pro has dropped the two hardware (soft) buttons. I really dislike that. I use these buttons a great deal and I love my hardware buttons. I was previously a Touch user and it had very few real buttons and I hated the soft (soft) buttons. (Man could that get confusing or what )

The Pro has a dedicated Power button. Very nice and I wish the 800w had this.

The Pro has the center button light for notification. Don't care. I have my phone in my case and it vibrates when I get email. The light would not do anything for me based upon my user habits.

The Pro has a 3.5mm headset jack. Again, nice but not a necessity for me. I use a bluetooth headset when I need to use my phone handsfree and I don't generally use it for music.

The Pro has a 1500 mAH battery. Very nice. I would love more battery life but I get through a day or two with no charging just fine.

The Pro dropped the Palm SMS threaded messenging. While I completely understand the rationale for doing this I really like the Palm threaded app. That being said, the standard WinMo 6.1 works just fine.

Finally the packaging, it appears very nice and presents a professional, cool, slick package. I (personally) take it home, go oh ah, pretty and tear into it and throw the package away. I don't pay $549 for a box, I pay for the contents of the box, while the package contributes to the image overall let's remember what we are buying, the phone, not the box.

Now, my Treo 800w is a great piece of hardware. It is fast, responsive, very professionally finished. It has a great build with no creaking, looseness or ill fitting parts. It has the best keyboard ever applied to a handheld device of this type in my opinion. I have used the Centro and the Pro has the same keyboard roughly as the Centro. It is nice but not nearly as nice as the 800w. The soft finish application makes the 800w feel comfortable and does not hold fingerprints at all while providing a firm grip that never feels as though I am going to drop the phone. The high gloss finish of the Pro is pretty to behold but a fingerprint magnet I would bet. It looks like the new iPhone and that holds major fingerprints. I am completely satisfied with the size and weight of the Treo 800w. It feels good and well made without feeling cheap at all.

Remember again that most of this is opinion but I just felt compelled to say something. If you are not an 800w user don't feel that we got gipped at all. It is a great device and will be with me for a while I think.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    A well-written and rationale post...

There are pro's and con's of every device, and the 800 and 850 are no different. We're all entitled to our own opinions, and mine (not claimed to be the one correct view) are:

800 (I had, and returned, one)
    • Battery unnacceptably small
    • Mediocre audio - both speaker and BT
    • Very nice keyboard
    • Screen too dim
    • Recessed screen really reduces touchability - e.g. hard to touch vertical scroll bar
    • FAST GPS
    • I like the micro-USB connector
    • Great one-handed operation
    • Nice 'feel' in hand

• Much thinner
    • Significantly larger battery
    • Don't like the looks of the keyboard
    • Looks a bit too 'plastic' to me
    • Since HTC appears to be the ODM, I would expect BT to be better
    Just saw a 800w for first time today and played for awhile. I take back what i said about the treo pro being so much better. The 800w's keyboard is very nice. Yet, i know the pro's looks are what's getting the attention on various boards. Sad.
    There is NO excuse for releasing a phone one month after its predecessor with a smaller body, BIGGER battery, and real headset jack.

Just because you don't find these things necessary doesn't excuse Palm from a blatant internal coordination failure. I don't care about the looks, but the headset jack and bigger battery should have been added to the 800w.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I hear ya. They were locked in (and in the 800w's case..they seem locked in forever in producing that).

Still in the end, it seems like at&t wants nothing to do with palm, neither does verizon, and sprint (who needs phones badly and should hold hands with palm) gets the ugly phone. Of course, i'm not being too globally minded here, but GSM isn't the best where i'm at.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire1965 View Post
    I wanted to take a moment and address something I see happening. The community seems to suddenly feel as if Palm slighted us somehow with the Treo Pro so soon after the Treo 800w, like the 800w is an inferior product in some way.
    You forgot to mention that we're paying top dollar for last year's technology. It was mentioned many times in the Treocentral and WM Experts podcasts. In the automotive world, it's like you buying a 4th Generation Toyota 4runner, but getting a 3rd Generation. Many of us are early adopters who want the latest and greatest... or at least get "current" technology. The 800w looks dated, like it was obviously based on the 750. =\
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    There is NO excuse for releasing a phone one month after its predecessor with a smaller body, BIGGER battery, and real headset jack.

Just because you don't find these things necessary doesn't excuse Palm from a blatant internal coordination failure. I don't care about the looks, but the headset jack and bigger battery should have been added to the 800w.
    No question about it. Palm should have scrapped the 800w long ago, saved money and just released the Treo Pro instead.
    GPS and Wifi on a CDMA phone and we're complaining? I don't get it. Seems to me things are only getting better.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I agree with:
    - 800w is last year's tech
    - 800w battery unacceptably small
    - Palm should be ashamed of releasing the 800w, knowing they had a current generation platform in the 850

I assume that the people who are complaining about the 800w and still have one had/have the same 30-day return window I had and either, (1) like it well enough to have kept it past 30 days, or (2) still have the ability to take it back. I solved my concerns with the 800w quite easily - I returned it!
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    GPS and Wifi on a CDMA phone and we're complaining? I don't get it. Seems to me things are only getting better.
    It seems that satisfaction was higher prior to seeing the Pro - so the recent uproar seems to be that folks aren't judging the 800 on its merits as much as being envious of the newer device.

They'll ALWAYS be a newer device.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post

The Treo Pro is not a successor to the 800w. It is a different product aimed at a different market. The Pro is a smartphone, the 800w is a full fledged Windows Mobile device. The best analogy I can draw is comparing the Pro to a Motorola Q or Qc, or the Tmobile DASH.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    The Treo Pro is not a successor to the 800w. It is a different product aimed at a different market. The Pro is a smartphone, the 800w is a full fledged Windows Mobile device. The best analogy I can draw is comparing the Pro to a Motorola Q or Qc, or the Tmobile DASH.

You couldn't be more wrong. The Treo Pro is MORE phone than the 800w, not less. It's also not a smartphone and runs WM Pro. Try thinking of some new analogies.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    You couldn't be more wrong. The Treo Pro is MORE phone than the 800w, not less. It's also not a smartphone and runs WM Pro. Try thinking of some new analogies.
    I agree with your basic point that it's also a WM device (despite your less-than-friendly approach). At the same time, the Pro has almost the same specs as the 800w and isn't designed to be the successor to the 800w. They have different carriers, which severely limits crossover.

I'm certain, based on the release of every single other Treo, that folks will find an item or feature that will cause an uproar, and folks will be complaining that Palm is dead, we should file class action suits, and the Treo 900 is what the Pro should have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I agree with your basic point that it's also a WM device (despite your less-than-friendly approach). At the same time, the Pro has almost the same specs as the 800w and isn't designed to be the successor to the 800w. They have different carriers, which severely limits crossover.

I'm certain, based on the release of every single other Treo, that folks will find an item or feature that will cause an uproar, and folks will be complaining that Palm is dead, we should file class action suits, and the Treo 900 is what the Pro should have been.
    I bet we will see a CDMA Pro track leaked very soon. It is a successor. It has half a dozen key advancements over the 800 which are completely consistent with a successor model. I think the 800 was designed a long time ago and it just took a long time to get final implementation and the right deal with the buyer (sprint).

I will wager there will be a cdma pro for verizon around the the end of the year. Verizon may not even pick up the 800w. Close to 50% better effective battery life, flush screen, 3.5 jack as opposed to propretary usb for audio, faster processor etc aggregate to significant both a form and function advances.

I think it jsut appears not to be a successor model due to the close release dates. Six month release differential does not mean the 800w isn't a year or more behind the Pro when it comes to palm's own development cycle.
    Im not sure why people keep saying the 800w is last years tech and the Treo Pro is the upgrade etc. Other than cosmnetics ( Color , size and battery ) they have the same exact specs so if the 800W is last years tech the Treo Pro is last years tech.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    It seems that satisfaction was higher prior to seeing the Pro - so the recent uproar seems to be that folks aren't judging the 800 on its merits as much as being envious of the newer device.

They'll ALWAYS be a newer device.
    The issue is that, after forever, Palm releases a CDMA device with last year's technology - followed immediately by a GSM phone with this year's technology. New phones come out all the time - but, a manufacturer shouldn't make its own new phone appear to be dated and obsolete after only a few weeks. Palm, via the 850, has shown what it can do - it makes the 800w look like a late, lazy, half-hearted attempt.

HTC does it the other way, by contrast. They'll release a neat GSM phone in Asia & Europe, then in a few months release a slightly enhanced CDMA version of it in the US. IMO, Palm should have waited a bit and released a CDMA version of the 850 in the US.

Imagine the buzz about a new CDMA 850 coming to a store near you soon!
    Last edited by willysp; 08/31/2008 at 07:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Im not sure why people keep saying the 800w is last years tech and the Treo Pro is the upgrade etc. Other than cosmnetics ( Color , size and battery ) they have the same exact specs so if the 800W is last years tech the Treo Pro is last years tech.
    I wondered about that, too. I know that there have been postings that the development cycle for the 800w started last year, but no device is constructed over the course of a long weekend - so I'm a bit confused about that.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I more meant that the Internals of both devices are exactly the same. How can one be last years tech and another be this years tech. And both have good external features . The Keyboard on the 800W is this years and the keybaord on the pro is last years centro type also the soft keys are gone on the pro which i consider ridiculous .The Pro has a faster proccessor but the reviews say the 800W is faster The Pro is slimmer and a better battery. the Pro is sexier but looks like the Blackberrys which I find ugly so I am just confused as to how its possible .. And as I said they both use the same technology. That makes no sense.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 08/31/2008 at 10:19 PM.
    ^^^ Who cares which phone you happen to think looks better? We're talking about technology.

The Pro has a faster processor, a headset jack, better screen, better battery, better softkey design, better size, etc.
    And who cares that you think its a better soft key design . i say its worse. you say better thats your opinion. and were talking technology not cosmetics like battery . Its the same screen . once flush , one isnt . thats not technology. Better size isnt technology. They have the same specs. My point was the techology and they are exactly the same. the other stuff (Keys, size, etc ) are cosmetics and subject to personal opinion. There the saem phone basically internally and do the same things . to say one is last years tech and one is this eyars tech is assinine. and the cosmetics are subject to personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    ^^^ Who cares which phone you happen to think looks better? We're talking about technology.

The Pro has a faster processor, a headset jack, better screen, better battery, better softkey design, better size, etc.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 08/31/2008 at 10:21 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast