Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    How do you reset the 800w to factory condition?

I go to page 107 of the manual and it sure doesnt look like one.

You cant turn off the phone, but there are no hard reset also?
    ##RTN#
    enter mslid (master subsidy lock id)
    OK
    RTN Reset.

Before doing this you need to know what your MSL is. If you don't, you've got to get Sprint to tell you what it is before you can do this. Keep a copy of it somewhere other than your device.

1. Type ##786# this will take you to the phone data screen. For MDM (phone number) and MSID, note the values somewhere outside of your device because you'll need those values (MDM and MSID) later.

2. Select Options at the bottom left and choose RTN Reset, the only option.
    Enter your Master Subsidy lock (MSL)

3. Your phone will now reset and return to the white Treo splash screen. It may stay here for several minutes. When it shuts off you will have a completely clean factory reset device.

4. To reactivate your phone, type ##(your MSL)# and fill in the MDM and MSID and hit save.
    Here is how Sprint told me to do it:

1) Remove batterh
    2) While putting battery back, hold down END key til it asks you if you want to delete all
    3) Then choose yes
    4) Will take awhile to come back on, then ask you to align your screen just like it did when you first received
    Hard Rest (Pulling Battery while hold power button) deletes the user information, but still allows you to make/receive calls.

RTN Reset - will NOT allow you to make/receive calls, which requires it to be reprogrammed, as Darnell described.

If you installed apps that may have screwed up your phone, then a hard reset will probably be necessary.

If you are planning to sell your device, then a hard reset and RTN reset is required.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    To flush out all the files I have installed and go back to factory default, then I just need to do a Hard Reset? This is not in the manual.

Is RTN Reset like making the ESN cleaned?
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    If you are planning to sell your device, then a hard reset and RTN reset is required.
    Why do both a hard and RTN reset when selling the device, given the RTN reset does all that a hard reset does and more?
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    To flush out all the files I have installed and go back to factory default, then I just need to do a Hard Reset? This is not in the manual.

Is RTN Reset like making the ESN cleaned?
    For this you just need to do a hard reset (remove battery, while pressing [END] reinsert battery and answer YES to erase all data), it will erase the device memory (programs, databases and others), reintall the factory applications and default registry values.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67
    This is not in the manual.
    The procedure to perform a soft and hard reset are documented on page 349 and 350 of the User Guide.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...wsprint_UG.pdf
    I think what the OP asked is a "zero out reset" like Treo 650 (and 700p I think) is capable of. It means writing all the storage memory (excluding OS ROM spaces) with 0 to ensure all data is unreadable. It takes a while to do this (10 minutes or more) & the user guide clearly said the procedure is meant to be awkward & states that the phone only "looked like it's bricked" but just be patient. It is beyond a hard reset which merely clears the index/pointers.
    Other Treos after those 2 don't have a "zero out reset".
    There is an alternative if you think hard reset is not sufficiently secure, but
    I don't know if the procedure below works in a WM phones because I am too chicken to do this. In PalmOS if you specify a password to lock your device & you perform a hard reset, then before proceeding the phone ask you to supply the password. If you don't give the password then the memory is re-formatted automatically.