Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    hi all,

I recently purchased a treo 800w from ebay. trusted power seller, 1400+ feedback with 99%+ positive feedback.

I felt the sale was safe. item described as "new in box," "clean ESN guaranteed" etc... phone was around $320 with additional discount from MS search discount.

I received the phone today. box appeared new, packing was all intact.

I already have a sero account on a treo 755p, so tried to activate and switch my phone over sprint.com customer service chat. to my surprise, I was told that the phone was already linked to an account and could not be activated. I tried to activate over the phone and was told the same thing by another CS representative.

I contacted the seller who was helpful. stated that the phone "should be?" new and that he would have his sprint master dealer contact me tomorrow.

so.... is this phone really new? how can a new phone be linked to another account? any similar experiences?
    People acquire phones in all kinds of ways. There's a guy on SprintUsers that's selling a few 800ws, and one of the ones he sold had the same issue as yours. Apparently, it was pre-activated from the factory, so he had to clear the ESN so the buyer could use it. I guess the EBay seller is running on a similar method, so that may be what happened. It's a powerseller, so I'm sure it will get fixed. If it doesn't, hopefully you paid through a credit card and through PayPal, so you should be covered as far as money goes.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    In this case it sounds like a simple mistake.

In many cases however, sellers will sell phones that do not have cleared ESNs and therefore the only way to use the phone is to pay the phone bill for the phone. Sounds like the seller should fix the problem.

My 755p went down at the perfect time and they replaced it with a new 755p. I plan on selling that when my 800w comes in the mail (ordered 6 days ago). Unfortunately the woman at the store insisted on activating the new one and opening the box. After she activated the phone I had to beg her to even keep the box. I'm not sure if this is a Sprint policy or what not but now I can't really sell the phone as new-never used.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post

My 755p went down at the perfect time and they replaced it with a new 755p. I plan on selling that when my 800w comes in the mail (ordered 6 days ago). Unfortunately the woman at the store insisted on activating the new one and opening the box. After she activated the phone I had to beg her to even keep the box. I'm not sure if this is a Sprint policy or what not but now I can't really sell the phone as new-never used.
    IF U YOU GOT YOUR NEW 755P AS AN INSURANCE REPLACEMENT WE HAVE TO ACTIVATE IT. IT IS STORE POLICY. it is called an exchange process for a reason you come IN with a broken phone activated when you order it you go OUT with a non broken phone.... magic I tell you.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by genefid View Post
    so.... is this phone really new? how can a new phone be linked to another account? any similar experiences?
    I had something similar happen to me with a wireless data card purchased directly from a Sprint reseller (one that my company uses to handle all Sprint fulfillments) ... based on the packaging, etc I am virtually certain that the card was brand new ... but had been pre-activated on someone else's account. It took the company several days to figure this out and correct the situation.
    Had this happen to me. The CS Rep inputted the ESN wrong by one character and the phone was automatically linked to another account. It took many hours to correct it. Good Luck with yours.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I got my new 800w from fleabay also for $267 shipped. The seller only had 22feedbacks.

1. I go to www.sprint.com/activate website and did not use any reps. I put in the ESN and it swap out successfully. Then it get to a webpage to program my phone. That was it without using any humans. Try this.

2. I hope you pay with your credit card! Always always remember to pay with your credit card in anything you buy! If you do, dont worry, just put in a dispute.
    Even if he does it online, if the ESN is not clear, nothing will happen. It doesn't matter if you use another person, or your own computer. ESN not clear = no activation.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    I also had this problem - i tried online and then called, and was told my phone could not be linked to my account since it was already listed on someone else account. I emailed the seller with the ESN and he somehow took care of it. I then activated online without anymore problems.
    this happened when I bought a centro for my wife. Even though the phone was sealed and new the ESN was tied to another account. There is no way around this and it's best to get your money back.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    So what is the cause of this if it is a power seller?

Even though the package had not been opened, the ESN is already mapped?
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    So what is the cause of this if it is a power seller?

Even though the package had not been opened, the ESN is already mapped?
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Apparently, it was pre-activated from the factory
    Just a guess
    I think what happens is a lot of these sellers have real shops in places like Chinatown or Flushing, NY. They have people come in wanting cheap phones, so they sell them something like a refurb, but add a phone with a large subsidy to their account. They then turn around and sell the subsidized phone on ebay. That's how they end up on someone else account, but remain 100% sealed.
    They wouldn't be able to get away with that. After a phone is added to an account, the only person who can clear the phone off the account is the account holder (or anyone else they have authorized to do so). The seller no longer is able to clear the ESN.

I think these are sellers that get phones from Sprint for cheap (through connections, or other means), and then resell them. Therefore, the phones may be activated under an account that the seller holds. Most of the time, the seller probably tries to make sure it doesn't come pre-activated, but sometimes, it happens, and so they have to fix that.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    They wouldn't be able to get away with that. After a phone is added to an account, the only person who can clear the phone off the account is the account holder (or anyone else they have authorized to do so). The seller no longer is able to clear the ESN.

I think these are sellers that get phones from Sprint for cheap (through connections, or other means), and then resell them. Therefore, the phones may be activated under an account that the seller holds. Most of the time, the seller probably tries to make sure it doesn't come pre-activated, but sometimes, it happens, and so they have to fix that.
    They would totally be able to get away with that. If a customer comes in to activate or upgrade or has a lost phone and is eligible for an upgrade, the store can sell them a Treo for x.xx then give the customer a refurb phone or used phone that they have little invested in. I would suspect that this is the cause for most issues. The method seems legit enough, but if the account gets hotlined or canceled for non payment then the whole plan gets fubar'd.

There is no way Sprint is legitimately selling phones to agents or resellers for sub $500 before rebates, and the only way to get rebates is to sell them on contracts.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    So is this an inside job?

Anyhow, I am glad I have no problem with my 800w that I bought from ebay.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    the seller was able to clear the esn.

took a couple of phone calls and some headache. in the end, everything worked out.

thanks to all who answered.
    I bought a Moto Q from this guy on ebay. he was a power seller. first time i got the q, it was defective. i sent it back. he then sent me a new one but the esn was assigned to another account. i sent the phone back and he refunded the money.

I then said f*** it and just got the palm 800 and very happy right now.

moral of the story, you take the risk with ebay. however, protect yourself from buying from a power seller with good feedback.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Have you tried reading the esn that is on the actual phone and not from the box. It could be that someone has switched the boxes.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I still would want to buy things on ebay because I want to save money.

If I buy a new phone and sell it on ebay and get another new one, heck, I can get a brand new phone every year.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast