Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Hi Everyone,

I am a Verizon customer eagerly awaiting the 800w. I like Verizon's call quality and network speeds (even if their prices are high), and I think the 800w on Verizon will be awesome. However, if the Pro turns out to basically be a "better" version of the 800w, I would rather have the Pro. Of course, given that the Pro is GSM only, Verizon service is a no-go.

No US carriers have been announced for the Pro yet, but the Pro will be sold unlocked. If AT&T ends up being the only US carrier, then it is a done deal - I'll stick with the 800w and Verizon. There is no way in hell I would ever use AT&T. But if something like T-Mobile would be an option, I would consider switching providers. I don't know much about T-Mobile's call quality or network compared to Verizon, but for what its worth, T-Mobile has announced that they will be rolling out 3G in my area (Phoenix) soon.

Would it be worth switching from Verizon to T-Mobile to be able to get the Pro, or would it be better to just stick with Verizon and get the 800w?

Any and all help/advice/thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.
    T-Mobile uses AWS 3G. The Treo Pro will have UMTS/HSDPA 3G, so as far as I know, you'd be stuck at EDGE speeds with it.

Edit: Actually don't quote me on that, they might possibly be compatible.
    But you COULD do it. I was using a Treo 750 unlocked on T-Mobile and it was just dandy. Then I ported over to AT&T and I'm really lovin' it. Customer service sucks but the network is strong.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Last I heard Verizon is no longer going to offer the 800w. There was a thread about it in the 800w forums.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave View Post
    Last I heard Verizon is no longer going to offer the 800w. There was a thread about it in the 800w forums.
    Yeah, I think I read that thread a while back, but if I remember right, wasn't the "no 800w for Verizon" debunked? I thought that there seemed to be a lot of evidence that Verizon will get it:

* Verizon logos within the 800w software
    * Verizon's leaked slideshow with the 800w pictured and listed as "Q3 2008" release
    * Palm's own 800w learning guide showing the "Verizon gray" model of the phone, and not Sprint's blue model
    * Rumors of Sprint having a 60/90 day exclusive on the 800w

... etc....

Maybe some new info has come to light that I haven't come across yet. In the 800w/Treo Pro battle, I am still leaning towards the 800w for some reason (mostly the keyboard differences), but I will be really pissed if Verizon ditches out on the 800w!