Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    What key(s) can you safely push to reactivate the screen backlight and not have it do something on the screen? This is not a question regarding waking the screen back up when it turns off, but only when it has dimmed itself from non use.
    I use the space-bar and have not found any programs that it has a negative effect on.

What have others found?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I used the space bar per your suggestion while in the email program and it brings up a message tip. While it's not as bad as deleting something, it still creates an extra step I want to avoid. All I want to do is turn back on the backlight. Oops, the second time I used the space bar in the email program it deleted the message. That's a definite negative.

Thank you though for the suggestion.

Edit: The email message wasn't deleted. However, pressing the space bar applied some sort of filter that changed the bottom bar to say "Business (my email account identification name) 0 of 1 Items, Filtered." As I can't find any filter menu or option, I have no idea what filter was applied. I also don't know how to remove the filter and bring back my message. Pressing space bar again doesn't undo it. I have to leave the email account and reenter it and the message is there again.

So what button choices are safe?
    Last edited by Rogus; 08/27/2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Not a perfect solution:

I disabled the backlight timeout, it does not seem to work in this phone; originally set it to 2-minutes but keeps dimming the screen in 30-sec regardless. Changed the Turn-off timer (Settings/Power/Advanced) instead to 2-minutes and lowered the brightness of the screen as much as possible.

This seems to be a Treo issue, in the Mogul with WM6.1 the backlight timeout feature works correctly.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I normally use the left D-Pad key since my thumb is usually sitting on it anyway. I haven't found any drawbacks to using it yet.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    The left D-key takes you to another email account if you're in the email program. Not horrible, but I'm looking for a key that all it does in ANY program is wake up the dimmed screen. I would think with all the smart people here someone must have found the secret key. I keep experimenting, but there are so many choices and some work in most programs but then I find one where that key press does something.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    Not a perfect solution:

I disabled the backlight timeout, it does not seem to work in this phone; originally set it to 2-minutes but keeps dimming the screen in 30-sec regardless. Changed the Turn-off timer (Settings/Power/Advanced) instead to 2-minutes and lowered the brightness of the screen as much as possible.

This seems to be a Treo issue, in the Mogul with WM6.1 the backlight timeout feature works correctly.
    I've noticed the same problem. The 10 and 20 second options work correctly, but nothing after 30 seconds work. Is there any way workaround for this? It's really annoying to have the screen dim every 30 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcuswalk View Post
    I've noticed the same problem. The 10 and 20 second options work correctly, but nothing after 30 seconds work. Is there any way workaround for this? It's really annoying to have the screen dim every 30 seconds.
    None that I can think, I believe a registry tweak was posted on a different thread but did not seem to work.

Also the Low Battery notification settings (on Sounds and Notifications) seem useless to control the annoying constant low battery alarm. I have unchecked all with no effect, have checked it and selected [no sound] as the sound to play, no effect, have unchecked the vibrate and LED setting with no change.

What I find ironic is that the low-battery alarm wakes the device and even with Keyguard engaged, the screen will not automatically turn-off until the message window is manually cleared. It will continue to do this at 10%, 9%, 8%...etc. This will do more to waste whatever little power is left on the tiny battery than just truning off the darn alert!

I guess Palm may have by-passed registry switches when programming some of it's proprietary tweaks to the OS for this phone.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    Not a perfect solution:

After playing around with the registry, I found something that works. Two settings are important here.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ControlPanel/BackLight/BatteryTimeout
    and
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ControlPanel/BackLight/BatteryTimeout2

The first of these turns the backlight off. The number is in seconds. I have mine set at 180.

The second of these dims the backlight. Again, the number is in seconds. I have might set at 120.

The result is the my screen now dims at 120 seconds (2 minutes) and then shuts off 60 seconds later. This is much better than the silly 30-second dim that is pre-built into the phone and apparently unchangeable except as described above.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    The 10 and 20 second options work correctly, but nothing after 30 seconds work.

Hmmm...I don't have a 20 sec option. 10, 30, 1m, 2m, etc. I just changed mine from 1 minute which wasn't dimming to 2 minutes which is working. Having made that change I went back to 1 minute and now this selection is working too. How odd.

Also in playing with these changes, I realized that the screen dimming is a two step process. First, at 30 seconds it dims a little bit and then depending on the time you put into the "Turn off backlight if device is not used for:" it turns off the backlight.

I still am looking for the safe key press to wake up the dimmed screen either the faint dim or the turned off backlight without doing anything other than waking up the screen.
    After playing around with the registry, I found something that works. Two settings are important here.

and

The first of these turns the backlight off. The number is in seconds. I have mine set at 180.

The second of these dims the backlight. Again, the number is in seconds. I have might set at 120.

The result is the my screen now dims at 120 seconds (2 minutes) and then shuts off 60 seconds later. This is much better than the silly 30-second dim that is pre-built into the phone and apparently unchangeable except as described above.

That is nice, thank you.

Have to find a way to make the changes on the settings stick; the way WM is supposed to work is that the value selected on the Backlight applet should control this function rather than us having to set it via a registry edit.

and

Thank you very much for this.
    --MM

Palm Pilot > Palm Vx > Palm i705 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Treo 800w