Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I was in the Verizon store yesterday and the salesperson told me that TREO Pro will actually come in a CDMA model too and Verizon will probably have that by December. That I am no so sure I believe though. Any one else heard of this or any thoughts?
    I would love to see, it, but I will not hold my breath on this one. Verizon is rarely quick to get anything, and it is an even rarer event that they inform their sales people of their plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by sairb1 View Post
    I would love to see, it, but I will not hold my breath on this one. Verizon is rarely quick to get anything, and it is an even rarer event that they inform their sales people of their plans.
    That would make a lot of people who purchase the Treo 800w very unhappy. I would like to see that happen, increase the battery life, making the unit slim, that would give the Treo 800W such a short life if they do release the Treo Pro for CDMA
    I asked a sprint store and they told me "Sure we will have it" those guys know nothing. If I asked him if they were going to get the Iphone he robally would have said yes also. If you read its going to be avaliable ONLY direct from Palm later in the fall. as for now theres no intention of having any carriers having this phone . Now no one can predict the future but we have only what Palm has said as a guide and since the phone is GMA if iver is going to bea carrier it would be AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrep View Post
    I was in the Verizon store yesterday and the salesperson told me that TREO Pro will actually come in a CDMA model too and Verizon will probably have that by December. That I am no so sure I believe though. Any one else heard of this or any thoughts?
    I would believe him because Palm always tells the low level sales people their future plans.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I think CDMA users will eventually get the 850, but it won't be for 6 months or more. If it doesn't sell well in GSM then it may never come to CDMA, but I kinda doubt it will flop. I think it's a monster and just might save Palm. Centro sold beyond almost anyone's expectations and bought Palm another year. The Treo Pro/850 could mark Palm's re-emergence into the serious smart phone realm. They might not unseat RIM as the top dog, but they can become a player again.
    Centro was $99 and was marketed to woman and colleg kids, big diifference with a phone that runs WM and is targeted to Business and is $600. Im not saying its a flop but it set up to fail until they do get a carrier to subsisize . In this economy a $600 phone is not a nessesity when you cna get so many phones for cheap that do what the pro does. But by that time we will all be talking about the treo 900 or the Nova.
    what is the list of phone providers and networks?
    cdma=what phone compaines
    gsm
    etc. i just dont know who's who
    I would like to see a CDMA version of the Pro. But I can't quite believe it. As was said above, that would make many 800w buyers a little upset.

If it does come to Sprint, I would be all over a CDMA Pro in a NY second.

Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Will we see a Verizon Pro Palm OS version? That's what I need.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    what is the list of phone providers and networks?
    cdma=what phone compaines
    gsm
    etc. i just dont know who's who
    GSM = AT&T, T-Mobile
    CDMA = Sprint, Verizon
    Radio HSDPA/UMTS/EDGE/GPRS/GSM radio
    Tri-band UMTS – 850MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz
    Quad-band GSM – 850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz

Isnt UMTS a cdma proto? Being a low level sales guy, and not knowing much......
    Ive never witnessed Palm put an unlocked device out 1st. Have you?
    If its got Tri-band UMTS – 850MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz technology then doesnt that mean a cdma company could service the phone?
    Maybe im wrong. Im just a low level sales guy. Not to techy tbh.
    People need to do their homework.
    Quote Originally Posted by palm sales guy View Post
    Radio HSDPA/UMTS/EDGE/GPRS/GSM radio
    Tri-band UMTS 850MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz
    Quad-band GSM 850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz

Isnt UMTS a cdma proto? Being a low level sales guy, and not knowing much......
    Ive never witnessed Palm put an unlocked device out 1st. Have you?
    If its got Tri-band UMTS 850MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz technology then doesnt that mean a cdma company could service the phone?
    Maybe im wrong. Im just a low level sales guy. Not to techy tbh.
    People need to do their homework.
    UMTS/HSDPA are a WCDMA standard. They grew out of the CDMA bands but they are not backwards compatible with the systems that Verizon and Sprint have.

Think of the networks that Sprint and Verizon have as being like railroads, and the networks that AT&T and T-Mobile have as being highways. Theoretically they'll both get you where you want to go, but you can't drive your SUV on a train track, and you can't take Amtrak down I-95.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Well, Palm did release the Centro for both networks eventually, and the Treo Pro is clearly a sweet machine. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they stuck a CDMA antenna in there and released it for Verizon and Sprint; after all, it'd be a big waste to engineer the Pro and only release it to such a small market portion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valatar View Post
    Well, Palm did release the Centro for both networks eventually, and the Treo Pro is clearly a sweet machine. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they stuck a CDMA antenna in there and released it for Verizon and Sprint; after all, it'd be a big waste to engineer the Pro and only release it to such a small market portion.
    GSM makes up the largest market of cell phone users in the world. I don't think it's possible to just stick a CDMA antenna in it and BOOM, now it's a CDMA phone. The entire phone would need to be re-engineered for CDMA. The 700wx was released shortly after the 700w because Palm kept all the same hardware but just manufactured the phones with a higher capacity RAM chip. The chipsets, antenna and other components are all completely different between CDMA and GSM. Palm will wait for the pro to be released before it starts development on a CDMA version. That version will probably be a "Treo Pro Platinum" with upgraded features or specs and you can anticipate a year before it's released. Palm has never been quick to release new phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by questionfear View Post
    UMTS/HSDPA are a WCDMA standard. They grew out of the CDMA bands but they are not backwards compatible with the systems that Verizon and Sprint have.

Think of the networks that Sprint and Verizon have as being like railroads, and the networks that AT&T and T-Mobile have as being highways. Theoretically they'll both get you where you want to go, but you can't drive your SUV on a train track, and you can't take Amtrak down I-95.
    I disagree. I can drive my Hummer on a train track, so there.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    I disagree. I can drive my Hummer on a train track, so there.
    HAH! Ok, so the hummer=a "world phone" like those blackberries that use GSM and CDMA. See, it still works.
    I think the Treos after the 800w/850 will be the same. Hopefully at least. I'm on AT&T so I don't really care as of right now.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    he was right after all!!
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrep View Post
    he was right after all!!
    It's still only a rumor, so let's not start holding our breath just yet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast