Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was talking to a buddy of mine about the Treo Pro, last night. He not "one of us." He doesn't own a smartphone and the closest he plans to get to one is an iPhone... in a couple of years... maybe.

So, I was curious about his take on the newest Treo. I showed him a picture of it and his first response was almost exactly the following: "Hm. Looks kinda utilitarian. All those buttons. No flashiness or anything."

I felt like a lil kid who drew a picture then proudly showed it to grown-up who promptly laughed at it... but it was really interesting to get that outside perspective.

I told him that Treo users think the pro looks pretty sleek and cool. His response? "Really? Wow."

He said he doesn't do (or expect to do) much typing for e-mail or anything and would prefer an onscreen keyboard.

I guess I thought this would be the kind of device that would bring more people into the LTreo fold, but now I'm wondering if all this tech-sexiness is really just for the already converted.

What reactions have you heard from "outsiders" about the Treo Pro?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I was talking to a buddy of mine about the Treo Pro, last night. He not "one of us." He doesn't own a smartphone and the closest he plans to get to one is an iPhone... in a couple of years... maybe.

So, I was curious about his take on the newest Treo. I showed him a picture of it and his first response was almost exactly the following: "Hm. Looks kinda utilitarian. All those buttons. No flashiness or anything."

I felt like a lil kid who drew a picture then proudly showed it to grown-up who promptly laughed at it... but it was really interesting to get that outside perspective.

I told him that Treo users think the pro looks pretty sleek and cool. His response? "Really? Wow."

He said he doesn't do (or expect to do) much typing for e-mail or anything and would prefer an onscreen keyboard.

I guess I thought this would be the kind of device that would bring more people into the LTreo fold, but now I'm wondering if all this tech-sexiness is really just for the already converted.

Recent research showed that QWERTY phones are the fastest growing segment of the phone market in USA. Your friend is atypical.

Surur
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Recent research showed that QWERTY phones are the fastest growing segment of the phone market in USA. Your friend is atypical.

Surur
    That's true of him in a number of ways, but not necessarily the one you mean.

I'm not even sure where to begin so I'll just ask, if you're also saying that all iPhone users are atypical.
    depends on your friend really. Does he have a professional job? You said he doesn't do much typing which seems odd with how popular texting. No email either.

These kind of people aren't being targeted at all by the Treo Pro.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    depends on your friend really. Does he have a professional job? You said he doesn't do much typing which seems odd with how popular texting. No email either.

These kind of people aren't being targeted at all by the Treo Pro.
    That's kind of a fuzzy area for me because he kept talking in terms of what he doesn't do on his phone NOW, but I kept reminding him that the point of getting a smartphone is to be able to do the things you don't do now. In other words, maybe one would text, use e-mail, etc. much more with a QWERTY... even if it turns out to be an on-screen QWERTY.

It's not that he doesn't e-mail or text at all. He just doesn't do it often. If I had to use a number pad, I might not either.

The thing that interests me is that if he were going to do it, he'd rather do it on an on-screen keyboard. I'm also interested in the fact that his first look at the Pro resulted in a shrug instead of a swoon.

Which is the opposite of people's iPhone impressions.
    Your friend isnt the target market of the Pro so his opinion isnt a concern for Palm. And you cant base everything on one person. You need to find a few thousand to get a real assesment. I just showed a picture of the Pro to friend who has a razor and has no concern for smartphones and he said its a super hot looking phone . but again hes also not the target as he doesnnt use a PDA etc.
    That's true of him in a number of ways, but not necessarily the one you mean.

I'm not even sure where to begin so I'll just ask, if you're also saying that all iPhone users are atypical.
    Are Blackberry users atypical? They have been outselling the iPhone after all.

In the end, typical phone users buy free phones.

Surur
    People like pressing buttons that aren't buttons i guess. Touching a screen is pretty cool.

I hear ya with that argument though. My in laws said they don't really use the internet much. With dial up, i see why. Or the people without dvrs who say they don't see the point. If you don't know what something can do, then you're not really missing it.

I brought that up a long time ago concerning palm's OS. Yes, it looks outdated and boring to us that used treos for years but for people who've never seen a smartphone, who knows how it looks to them? Which is probably why the Centros are selling well..
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    And you cant base everything on one person. You need to find a few thousand to get a real assesment.
    Obviously, which is why I asked for other outsider impressions.

I hope this isn't going to turn into one of those typical 'net convos. I'm just offering someone's opinion, which struck me. It isn't the end-all-be-all, but it's also more than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I just showed a picture of the Pro to friend who has a razor and has no concern for smartphones and he said its a super hot looking phone . but again hes also not the target as he doesnnt use a PDA etc.
    Good to know.

Still, many saw the Pro look and said that's how the 800w should've looked. In other words, many would like to see more/most Treo's made like this. And not everyone who buys a Treo is already a smartphone owner, are they?
  10.    #10  
    Are Blackberry users atypical? They have been outselling the iPhone after all.

In the end, typical phone users buy free phones.

Surur
    I was asking a real question, but your response has a certain defensive or maybe adversarial tone, in addition to straying from the point.

"typical users buy free phones."
    I was asking a real question, but your response has a certain defensive or maybe adversarial tone, in addition to straying from the point.

"typical users buy free phones."
    Maybe because you brought up the iPhone. The iPhone is not the worlds most popular phone. Thats important to know.

Surur
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

"You don't need a new shiny phone, you already have one" <-- My wife talking

"but I wanna!" <-- me talking

"Then wait for you 2 years to renew AT&T contract and then get it" <-- she was ruthless :P

"No, I am saving my lunch money to buy it with my own money"

And then I realized I am a grownup now and by gooly I am getting it even if I have to sleep in the couch for a month!
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...

Still, many saw the Pro look and said that's how the 800w should've looked. In other words, many would like to see more/most Treo's made like this. And not everyone who buys a Treo is already a smartphone owner, are they?
    AS a 800W owner I would be happy with the 800W looking liek that , its a nice looking phone , I like the 800W look but the Pro is a nice looking black . Then again in the end my phone/treo is always in a case ( Innocase for the 800W ) so looks mean little to me i guess/ The pro is still a sweet lookingf phone and again I agree the 800W should have looked this way .
    If it remains unlocked only, and can't be bought at the carrier store, then these "outsiders" will remain outsiders never even seeing it. Your friend saw it because you showed a pic to him.
    I showed it to a teenager, and she thought it looked cool.

Surur
  16.    #16  
    People like pressing buttons that aren't buttons i guess. Touching a screen is pretty cool.

I hear ya with that argument though. My in laws said they don't really use the internet much. With dial up, i see why. Or the people without dvrs who say they don't see the point. If you don't know what something can do, then you're not really missing it.
    Yes, like when I mentioned to him that iPhones are fine for me to drool over, but with functional omissions like no copy/paste and no removable battery, ultimately, I wouldn't be happy with them as a primary device.

He said that he never has to remove or replace his battery, so that doesn't bother him. I felt the need to point out that he might use a smart- or featurephone much more (and certainly for many more things) than his current regular phone. Once you start surfing, playing music, watching shows, etc., maybe you'll notice the meter dropping more quickly and wish you COULD have a back-up battery.

I brought that up a long time ago concerning palm's OS. Yes, it looks outdated and boring to us that used treos for years but for people who've never seen a smartphone, who knows how it looks to them? Which is probably why the Centros are selling well..
    Great point about the Centros.

Heh. I can only connect so much to those that complain about the "outdated" Treos b/c I have no problems with the way my 755p looks outside, or "e-side." I agree that tech-sexy brings the masses, but I didn't get a Treo to look cool. As long as it does its job ... and isn't ugly, I'm fine.

That's why it's interesting, to me, to find out what draws other people to (or repels them from) a given phone. iPhones inevitably come up b/c they do so much "drawing."
    Here's the thing...if someone doesn't normally use a smartphone or do a lot of typing, they're going to be swayed by the iPhone, the LG Dare, etc...because these phones offer things the average consumer does want (video/music/big screen for calls and photos) and not a lot of what they don't want (a smartphone "feel"). Your friend might be persuaded to a smartphone, but not one that's mainly designed to be almost a computer in your pocket. The fact that he commented on the number of buttons is telling; he's not interested in a phone that does much beyond phone calls, and the phone he might be interested in that does stuff beyond phone calls is mostly designed around recreation.
  18.    #18  
    If it remains unlocked only, and can't be bought at the carrier store, then these "outsiders" will remain outsiders never even seeing it. Your friend saw it because you showed a pic to him.
    Interesting point. If this looks trickles down to the ... whatever we're calling them now, consumer phones, it will matter. I'm curious about their reactions, now, though. I don't wanna wait for the trickle-down. Besides, it's interesting to me (and I'm beginning to think, ONLY to me) to see how differently many of US react to this device's appearance vs. how many of THEM react.
  19.    #19  
    I showed it to a teenager, and she thought it looked cool.

Surur
    Ahh. Another good thing to note. A teenager's perspective vs that of an older person. My bud is in his mid- to late-twenties.

Thanks.

Just curious... do you know what she thought of the Centro's appearance?
    Very good point. "Typical" phone users don't really have a clue about smartphones.

Even most Centro users don't nearly tap the full potential of their phone...and don't get me started with iPhone users. I have more than one friend with an iPhone and I had to show them how to load and view pictures on them. They didn't even know that you could flick your finger to switch between shots (and that's a basic feature of the phone).

Many of us on these boards take the knowledge we have for granted. Most of the people out there that don't have smartphones (and even plenty of them that do) don't really know what they have in their hands. As long as they can talk on it, they don't bother to look for any further capability. For that matter, they don't seem to even expect any further capability. I surmise that for people like that, they wasted their money buying a smartphone (or did it because they thought it was chic or en vogue).
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast