Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by questionfear View Post
    Here's the thing...if someone doesn't normally use a smartphone or do a lot of typing, they're going to be swayed by the iPhone, the LG Dare, etc...because these phones offer things the average consumer does want (video/music/big screen for calls and photos) and not a lot of what they don't want (a smartphone "feel"). Your friend might be persuaded to a smartphone, but not one that's mainly designed to be almost a computer in your pocket. The fact that he commented on the number of buttons is telling; he's not interested in a phone that does much beyond phone calls, and the phone he might be interested in that does stuff beyond phone calls is mostly designed around recreation.
    I kinda feel you but he was reacting to the hard-buttons versus e-buttons, y'know? Which doesn't say much except that he wants a different kind of interface.

For all that he claims he doesn't do much of this or much of that, I think he'd do more once he's got a device with a wider functional range. People couldn't imagine watching movies or tv shows on a phone and now (I hear) that's a huge thing.

I may have shot myself in the foot, though, by linking him to a photo of a Pro next to an iPhone.

Your earlier question about his occupational e-correspondence occurred to me, too, but I never got around to it b/c we started talking about contracts, subsidies, n whatnot.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I really wish palm would have kept the design and form factor of the new treo's just like the 650, 680, 750 and the 755. these were the best looking treo's that palm made.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Very good point. "Typical" phone users don't really have a clue about smartphones.

Even most Centro users don't nearly tap the full potential of their phone...and don't get me started with iPhone users. I have more than one friend with an iPhone and I had to show them how to load and view pictures on them. They didn't even know that you could flick your finger to switch between shots (and that's a basic feature of the phone).

Many of us on these boards take the knowledge we have for granted. Most of the people out there that don't have smartphones (and even plenty of them that do) don't really know what they have in their hands. As long as they can talk on it, they don't bother to look for any further capability. For that matter, they don't seem to even expect any further capability. I surmise that for people like that, they wasted their money buying a smartphone (or did it because they thought it was chic or en vogue).
    Amen.

Obviously, people who buy a phone can use it for whatever they like, but a part of me whimpers a bit when I find out someone's got the power of a Treo, but only uses the device for texting and phone calls.

I'll toss something else in the ring: I don't know how buggy iPhones are or are not, but their rep is that they're interfaces are simple and reliable. If that's true, that goes a long way. For all the cool stuff my Treo can do, the stuff I do the most is often the stuff that sends me into a rage b/c it causes the phone to lock up or require a reboot... or Bluetooth doesn't kick in quite right.

I sometimes wonder if it's a matter of doing a ton of things decently or a few things really, really well.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by fktruong View Post
    I really wish palm would have kept the design and form factor of the new treo's just like the 650, 680, 750 and the 755. these were the best looking treo's that palm made.
    I hear ya. I think my 755p looks damned good. I wasn't dying for a new form factor. I just wanted greater functionality, more reliability, and the ability to turn on my screen without accidentally rejecting an incoming call.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    those 4 treo's looked freaking awesome people that haven't seen a treo are still amazed about how the 750 looks. I wouldn't trade my 750 for any other phone but now that the pro is here looks like I'll being using two treo's.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Ahh. Another good thing to note. A teenager's perspective vs that of an older person. My bud is in his mid- to late-twenties.

Thanks.

Just curious... do you know what she thought of the Centro's appearance?
    She said its cool also, the same phone in red.

Surur
    I gave my old red centro to my 19yr old niece and let her keep my old sero plan too. She loved it when i showed her what it could do. 2 weeks later she keeps calling me now wanting some kind of green Rumor phone.

So coolness wears off quick
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Are Blackberry users atypical? They have been outselling the iPhone after all.

In the end, typical phone users buy free phones.

Surur
    Well considering that there are multiple Blackberry models on just about every carrier in the developed world, I would expect that the Blackberry would outsell the iPhone.
    Lock and Load!
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I gave my old red centro to my 19yr old niece and let her keep my old sero plan too. She loved it when i showed her what it could do. 2 weeks later she keeps calling me now wanting some kind of green Rumor phone.

So coolness wears off quick
    Hehe. Maybe, but by then, they've already got your money!
    One of my friends has a 650.
    He complained that he doesn't get good reception. I said the 650 didn't have a very good radio.
    He said: "The 650 has a Radio?"
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    One of my friends has a 650.
    He complained that he doesn't get good reception. I said the 650 didn't have a very good radio.
    He said: "The 650 has a Radio?"
    Hehe. I remember wondering about all the radio talk during my earlier days around here.

These days, with 3rd party software, they really DO have radios... so to speak.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fktruong View Post
    Palm need to change the form factor, otherwise they're just selling the same banana with a different color. IMHO, they should have kept the keyboard pattern of the 650. Its still the best QWERTY keyboard that I've ever used. Even better than the 600, 680 and esp. the centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm not even sure where to begin so I'll just ask, if you're also saying that all iPhone users are atypical.
    I think the survey Surur refers to is the one from NPD described in this story:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10020068-94.html

I haven't seen the original report and have no idea if the iPhone is included in the QWERTY category or not (it has a QWERTY but not a physical one). It probably wouldn't make much difference anyway as the survey is of Q2 2008 when iPhone sales were only just over 700, 000 worldwide (it was in short supply for much of the quarter). Q3 will be completely different of course - the iPhone 3G sold more than a million in its first three days and reportedly Apple plan to manufacture 40 million plus over the next year.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/07/14iphone.html
    http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...821_199140.htm
    The iphone is still a different animal though. A toy in the business world. I own one..i like the screen. But i do admit, i still cringe a bit when clients or partners see it. It's like saying "hey look how much i'm like your teenager"

Perceptions..perceptions..
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    I think the survey Surur refers to is the one from NPD described in this story:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10020068-94.html

I haven't seen the original report and have no idea if the iPhone is included in the QWERTY category or not (it has a QWERTY but not a physical one). It probably wouldn't make much difference anyway as the survey is of Q2 2008 when iPhone sales were only just over 700, 000 worldwide (it was in short supply for much of the quarter). Q3 will be completely different of course - the iPhone 3G sold more than a million in its first three days and reportedly Apple plan to manufacture 40 million plus over the next year.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/07/14iphone.html
    http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...821_199140.htm
    In a billion phone market even 40 million will be atypical. People seem to forget that all the time.

Typical is candy bar or flip, without a touch screen.

Surur
    The iphone is still a different animal though. A toy in the business world. I own one..i like the screen. But i do admit, i still cringe a bit when clients or partners see it. It's like saying "hey look how much i'm like your teenager"
    My son is now 21 but finished his teenage years with a Treo as only phone (he's had three in a row). To be like him I'd have to swap my iPhone for a Treo 680
    Your son isn't normal..lol
    In a billion phone market even 40 million will be atypical. People seem to forget that all the time.

Typical is candy bar or flip, without a touch screen.
    For sure, but getting back to your original point:

Recent research showed that QWERTY phones are the fastest growing segment of the phone market in USA. Your friend is atypical.
    I think it's pretty reasonable to hazard that for QWERTY phones to continue to be the fastest growing segment it will probably require that the iPhone is included in that category. It depends on what the other categories are of course
    Your son isn't normal..lol
    That's true, but he does have a genuine affection for Treos. He's now had a 600 and 650 (my hand-me downs) and the 680 (which he bought himself). He's surprisingly conservative in his tastes - it has to be Palm OS and has to have almost exactly the 600/650/680 form factor (he thinks the Centro is too small). I can't help thinking he may have problems sticking to this in the future!
    I think it's pretty reasonable to hazard that for QWERTY phones to continue to be the fastest growing segment it will probably require that the iPhone is included in that category.
    Not if Blackjacks, Centros and Blackberries continue to surge. As Denny said, the iPhone is only one phone.

Surur
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast