1.    #1  
    I have gotten used to connecting pig tails to the back of my cell phones that wires them to an external antenna on the back of my house. Since my office is in the basement this external antenna often moves the signal strength on my phone from unusable to usable.

Did we lose this feature on the 850? None of the pics that I see show an antenna connection.

Any chance it is on the USB connector?
    Last edited by swieder; 08/21/2008 at 08:32 AM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  2.    #2  
    On an old Nokia phone I bought an RF coupler that clipped on the back. Maybe that would work for the Treo Pro. It is not as good as an antenna connector, but it did help.

The other, more expensive option would be to install an amplifier and transmitter/receiver in my home. Wilson makes one for $500.
    Something like this http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/Products.php?Type=B
    Last edited by swieder; 08/21/2008 at 09:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    All phones that pass through FCC cert have to provide that external RF connector. I would check again the leaked photos of the phone without the cover to look for that connector but it has to be there.

The point here is that you will still be able to use an external antenna but without the back battery cover... not the cleanest solution but that's that.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    All phones that pass through FCC cert have to provide that external RF connector. I would check again the leaked photos of the phone without the cover to look for that connector but it has to be there.

The point here is that you will still be able to use an external antenna but without the back battery cover... not the cleanest solution but that's that.
    I'll have to dbl ck, but I don't think the moto q9h has one.
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    You could try something like Spotwave.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    You could try something like Spotwave.
    If I ever go the route of an amplifier and indoor antenna then I would go with Wilson Electronics. I use their equipment for my current wired antenna set-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I'll have to dbl ck, but I don't think the moto q9h has one.
    It was hidden under a little plug behind battery cover.
    Just call me Berd.
  8.    #8  
    It was hidden under a little plug behind battery cover.
    Thanks for finding the connector. Now I wonder if anyone will make a cable for it like this one, http://www.wpsantennas.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=597

Can you tell if the connector is like the one on the Treo 680?
    Sorry if I misled.
    I had originally responded to waldo saying all phones had to have a external RF connector.
    I said I didn't think my moto-q had one, but it does.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Sorry if I misled.
    I had originally responded to waldo saying all phones had to have a external RF connector.
    I said I didn't think my moto-q had one, but it does.
    No big deal.

the interesting thing about that connector is that it was never meant for end-user access (thus some times the connector is hidden). you can get out of spec pretty quick if you use a high-gain antenna but FCC rarely would check up on regular folk for such violations.