Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    rattler-

I just installed your cab and files. While the TM did seem to show up and was configurable in the Settings menu, I wasn't able to get the HTC TM to show on my today screen. (The special HTC icon on the top right side of my screen.) Similarly, I couldn't get the today screen drop down menu to appear when tapping and holding the top right corner.

Does it work perfectly on your 800w?

Thanks for the links and fixed files, but I think I'll keep trying to get the Palm/HTC TM cab from a dumped Treo Pro ROM.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    works perfectly on mine did you copy over the two files that were in the zip?
    Also you may have to soft reset after you copy them.
    Here are the screen shots of it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I did copy the other two files, too. One overwrote the taskman.exe (I think that's what it was) already on my device.

Also soft reset a few times after installation.

The default configuration was set to show the menu on the today screen. I even de-selected it, soft reset, reselected it, and soft reset, but no love.

Are you using real VGA? I'm not.
    Last edited by xdalaw; 10/11/2008 at 06:10 PM.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Yes I am that must be what the problem is.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Bummer. Thanks anyway.
    Has anyone tried this one on the 800w yet?

HTC Task Manager v2.0

Or is that the same as something already mentioned?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Has anyone tried this one on the 800w yet?

HTC Task Manager v2.0

Or is that the same as something already mentioned?
    That looks exactly like what I have on the Pro.
    Maybe that will give xdalaw what he's looking for.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I did try that one, already. In fact, I think I've tried all the variations of the HTC Task manager. So far, none worked well on the 800w without RealVGA, which I don't use.
    Berd's TP ROM Dump might bring us a solution, although I tried dropping the files in my Windows Directory and overwriting the current files and it didn't seem to work for me.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    xda, why don't you use AEButton's task manager? This is what I use, and I think it is better than the HTC TM. I have mine set to come up with a double press of the 'OK' button. It is designed for one handed use as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by xdalaw View Post
    So far, none worked well on the 800w without RealVGA, which I don't use.
    Which is why I say that RealVGA increases application compatibility. There's a whole slew of programs I can use with RealVGA that I never could before.

Berd's TP ROM Dump might bring us a solution, although I tried dropping the files in my Windows Directory and overwriting the current files and it didn't seem to work for me.
    I took a crack and this and got the lite one working. The main one is still not launching, I'm not sure why. Nor can I get the X/OK button working.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler459 View Post
    Here are the screen shots of it

Which HTC home screen did you use? I tried the one that I normally put on WinMo devices I have and it causes the Treo not to boot. Is there a certain one that I should download and try?
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    xda, why don't you use AEButton's task manager? This is what I use, and I think it is better than the HTC TM. I have mine set to come up with a double press of the 'OK' button. It is designed for one handed use as well.
    AEButtons totally kicks!
    4 buttons around the 5-way now = 16 Buttons.

Here is just a sample of mine:

For the 'Ok' button:
    1 click = 'Ok'
    2 click = 'Right Softkey'
    (we pro's don't have physical softkeys )
    3 click = Sound Off/On
    Hold down = Task Man.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    AEButtons totally kicks!
    4 buttons around the 5-way now = 16 Buttons.
    +1 AEB had a great task manager too on top of other functionality. Great app.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I own AEB+ and agree it's a very handy app.

I had always preferred iLauncher's TM (or, HandySwitcher) and usually just used AEB for button mapping. (Especially helpful for my Mogul.)

Maybe I'll give it another try for TM.

I really just liked the look and feel of the HTC TM on the TPro, and wanted the option of using it on my 800w. I assumed it would be easy to rip and use in light of the 320x320 screens.
    Forgot: HobbesisReal did a a brief review of AEB+ in case anyone is interested

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I assumed it would be easy to rip and use in light of the 320x320 screens.
    It is not a direct port. I haven't given up yet though.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    It is not a direct port. I haven't given up yet though.
    Thanks! Always good to have options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Which is why I say that RealVGA increases application compatibility. There's a whole slew of programs I can use with RealVGA that I never could before.
    Ebag, curious, does RealVGA also increase compatibility with non-today screen apps? (sorry if that's already been answered, but I haven't run into an example of that yet).

As a side comment, the way the today screen and taskbar/menubars run in scaled 240x240 mode is kinda brain dead, as you've noted it does make things less compatible. 320x320 really is the red-headed stepchild of WinMo resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Ebag, curious, does RealVGA also increase compatibility with non-today screen apps? (sorry if that's already been answered, but I haven't run into an example of that yet).
    Yup. Many apps designed for 320x240....or is that 240x320? Just ate lunch and am sleepy ......anyway NOT a square screen doesn't work in 320x320 at 128 DPI. But it WILL work in 320x320 at 96 DPI.

As an example, I believe (and it's been a long time since I tested the two DPI's and what's compatible) that an easy (read: free) example is Max Tillberg's A Viking Saga.

There are still lots of programs which simply don't work, but quite a few either work where they didn't on my 700wx, or work better.

Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    As a side comment, the way the today screen and taskbar/menubars run in scaled 240x240 mode is kinda brain dead, as you've noted it does make things less compatible. 320x320 really is the red-headed stepchild of WinMo resolutions.
    I'm not really sure what you mean by "scaled 240x240 mode".

Just so we're clear, DPI != resolution.

DPI is very confusing, and you'll find about ten billion different explanations on it (most of them towards graphic editing rather than anything else). Some of them give lots of good info, but I haven't found one yet that I like on the explanation as it applies towards WM (or even your laptop/desktop, yes they do have a DPI setting). I can't blame them, I don't really like any of my explanations on it.

The long story short is that we are NOT changing the resolution, but are instead shrinking everything you see on the screen by about 24%.

That's why you see more of a webpage when you're at 96 DPI than 128. Not only is the whole browser interface smaller, but the pictures and text are too.

Umm...how else can I put this.

It's KINDA like zooming out by 24%. You still have the same picture, just you're seeing 24% more of it than you were a minute ago.

Howerever, unlike zooming out where you are taking the same amount of info, cramming it into a smaller space, then adding even more, we're using different images for most of it (any image/bitmap/icon stored in a .DLL). So we have the same image, but it's simplified to fit the same basic picture in. That's why 96 DPI doesn't run any slower than 128 DPI, it's drawing the exact same amount of screen space (rather than wasting time drawing pixels you don't see when you're zoomed out).

So 96 DPI shows 320x320 pixels. Zooming out might show (just as an example) 400x400 pixels, but is taking those pixels and craming them into a 320x320 space. So WM is actually loading 400x400, but you still can only see 320x320 (when zooming).

Of course DPI only effects static images (such as what's on the today screen for the majority of plugins). On dynamically drawn images (Google Maps, Skyfire, etc), it has zero effect.

So, long story short: 128 DPI and 96 DPI are both true 320x320 resolutions. But 96 DPI shows more.

(Confused yet? Good. )
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast