Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sorry, a stupid question: What about my 2 yrs contract with AT&T? Anyway I can get a discount from the store? I signed the stupid contract 10 months ago.......
    Treo Pro is an unlocked device. Just buy it from Palm, pop the SIM card out of the iPhone and put it in the Treo.
    For there to be an upgrade discount, AT&T would need to carry the phone directly and there has been no indication yet as to whether or not AT&T will or not. So whether or not you're eligible or not (for an upgrade discount from AT&T) it doesn't matter in this case.
    As I posted back in January, a person I talked to that worked for Palm speculated that AT&T may not carry any more Windows Mobile devices. Reason being that there are less expensive WM devices with similar features. Palm being more expensive, AT&T isn't interested. I also saw a TV interview today and the Palm (employee) said this device is being sold unlocked so you can use it on any carrier. He mentioned no plans for any carrier to sell it directly. If there were plans, it's likely they would have said so.

It cost a lost of money and resources to carrier brand phones for different wireless carriers, so it's possible Palm just saved the hassle and cost this time.

I could be wrong. It would be good for AT&T if they do promote it and offer discounts.

So you'll be able to buy it at "full" price when it's available. Just put your AT&T SIM in it and it will work. Your iPhone data plan should mostly work, but you'll be better off calling AT&T and switching to the "PDA Personal" data plan which is $30.

When I say mostly work, provided your settings are configured right, you'll have full internet access. But you won't get access to the media net web site or cellular video service on AT&T. Most likely that makes on difference as you didn't have that on the iPhone and a Plam branded Treo (not AT&T) won't include these (useless) services/apps.

So save your money, keep the cheaper iPhone data plan ($20) and use it on the Treo when you get it.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, dude! Yes, I do have 20$ data plan and it looks like this is the best way to switch.

Anyhow, I still need iphone to download podcast and play mp3, so most likely I have to carry two guns everyday.....

Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    For there to be an upgrade discount, AT&T would need to carry the phone directly and there has been no indication yet as to whether or not AT&T will or not. So whether or not you're eligible or not (for an upgrade discount from AT&T) it doesn't matter in this case.
    As I posted back in January, a person I talked to that worked for Palm speculated that AT&T may not carry any more Windows Mobile devices. Reason being that there are less expensive WM devices with similar features. Palm being more expensive, AT&T isn't interested. I also saw a TV interview today and the Palm (employee) said this device is being sold unlocked so you can use it on any carrier. He mentioned no plans for any carrier to sell it directly. If there were plans, it's likely they would have said so.

It cost a lost of money and resources to carrier brand phones for different wireless carriers, so it's possible Palm just saved the hassle and cost this time.

I could be wrong. It would be good for AT&T if they do promote it and offer discounts.

So you'll be able to buy it at "full" price when it's available. Just put your AT&T SIM in it and it will work. Your iPhone data plan should mostly work, but you'll be better off calling AT&T and switching to the "PDA Personal" data plan which is $30.

When I say mostly work, provided your settings are configured right, you'll have full internet access. But you won't get access to the media net web site or cellular video service on AT&T. Most likely that makes on difference as you didn't have that on the iPhone and a Plam branded Treo (not AT&T) won't include these (useless) services/apps.

So save your money, keep the cheaper iPhone data plan ($20) and use it on the Treo when you get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by treopq View Post
    Thanks, dude! Yes, I do have 20$ data plan and it looks like this is the best way to switch.

Anyhow, I still need iphone to download podcast and play mp3, so most likely I have to carry two guns everyday.....
    2 Phones means 2 SIM cards and 2 data plans unless you will just be using Wi-fi of course.
  6.    #6  
    nononono, I have only one SIM card, if buy treo pro, I will have to give up iphone's data service and probably only use iphone as a podcast&mp3 player....

too stupid, rite? What else I can do? Buy another SIM and data plan? Too expensive

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    2 Phones means 2 SIM cards and 2 data plans unless you will just be using Wi-fi of course.
    You'd keep the iphone for mp3's and podcasts? Surely the treo pro can do this.... But i'm not a wm expert.
  8.    #8  
    Are you sure treo pro can do the podcast thing? sync with ITunes? I still have some doubt...

plus my Iphone has 4G, large enough to have tons of mp3...

I would love to see treo pro can completely replace my iphone, then I will sell it online.

Honestly, I still love iphone's screen especially for gps map... treo pro's screen is a bit too small......anyhow, no perfect girl.....

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You'd keep the iphone for mp3's and podcasts? Surely the treo pro can do this.... But i'm not a wm expert.
    I've used my iPhone 3G without the SIM for short periods of time (and with wifi.) It works just fine. I don't why you can't just keep using it as if it were an iPod touch. You have the original iPhone so I don't know if there are any differences in this, but I don't think there is.

Try it. Take your SIM out and play with it.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Just depends on if you want a 400 dollar plus mp3 player. I didn't. Sold my original iphone just a few days ago on ebay for 400. I'm sure the 3g would sell about the same or more.

I would think a WM 6.1 device has some kind of app to do podcasts...(no idea). Forget itunes. As for memory, get a bigger card for mp3s on the treo pro which has that awesome stereo BT and 3.5 jack.

I hear you though..took awhile for me to sell that iphone Much easier sticking with one though. Not to mention it laid in a drawer forever while i stuck with the centro. Currently i have the iphone 3g.
    If I remember correctly, PocketTunes for Windows Mobile does allow you to sync with your itunes.
    nononono, I have only one SIM card, if buy treo pro, I will have to give up iphone's data service and probably only use iphone as a podcast&mp3 player....

too stupid, rite? What else I can do? Buy another SIM and data plan? Too expensive
    You could sell the iPhone and buy an iPod touch. There is a good market for used iPhones.
  13.    #13  
    sorry, my last silly question, why AT&T charge much higher data plan to palm than Iphone?

I feel generally iphone user should u/d more data than normal palm user per month.

And if I put my iphone SIM card into the future treo pro and still use the 20$ data plan, will AT&T detect or punish me for that?
    Why the iPhone had such a cheap data plan defies logic as you point out. Dunno. It should have been the $30 like everything else.
    Will they detect? They could but they don't. Never really have except some special cases. So long as you're on record as an active iPhone user they won't bother you. Punishment, so to speak is to switch you to the $30 PDA plan. There is nothing in the terms and conditions that allows for retroactive billing or extra fees. There is actually nothing in writing that forbids use of the iPhone data on another device. They will say it's not OK, but it's not actually I'm the terms (which quite explicity forbid use of a laptop) but nothing about other phones.
    Don't worry about it.
    Last edited by taylorh; 08/22/2008 at 04:18 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
  15.    #15  
    thanks! btw, why do you mean "so long as you're on record as an active iPhone user"? If I put my sim card into treo pro, my iphone cannot be used as a phone...

Why the iPhone had such a cheap data plan defies logic as you point out. Dunno. It should have been the $30 like everything else.
    Will they detect? They could but they don't. Never really have except some special cases. So long as you're on record as an active iPhone user they won't bother you. Punishment, so to speak is to switch you to the $30 PDA plan. There is nothing in the terms and conditions that allows for retroactive billing or extra fees. There is actually nothing in writing that forbids use of the iPhone data on another device. They will say it's not OK, but it's not actually I'm the terms (which quite explicity forbid use of a laptop) but nothing about other phones.
    Don't worry about it.
    thanks! btw, why do you mean "so long as you're on record as an active iPhone user"? If I put my sim card into treo pro, my iphone cannot be used as a phone...
    Sorry I was vague. What I mean by that is quite literally the last phone you told that AT&T you're using. In other words, go buy a new phone, put your SIM in it, and use it, just don't tell them. Since AT&T still has an iPhone on your account as your 'current phone' (phone on record) they shouldn't hassle you regardless of what you actually use. They'll treat you as you're still an iPhone user.
    Any 'corrections' they would do to make sure people are using the right data plan, etc. would be based on that phone (on record) not the phone you're SIM is actually in. That's just how they currently operate.
    While your phone IMEI is in fact always transmitted to AT&T. They apparently still don't use that information directly for data plan enforcement.
    If you were "caught," they would simply insist you switch to the PDA data plan, and you, of course, play dumb and pretend you had no idea there was a different data plan.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
  17.    #17  
    Sorry I was vague. What I mean by that is quite literally the last phone you told that AT&T you're using. In other words, go buy a new phone, put your SIM in it, and use it, just don't tell them. Since AT&T still has an iPhone on your account as your 'current phone' (phone on record) they shouldn't hassle you regardless of what you actually use. They'll treat you as you're still an iPhone user.
    Any 'corrections' they would do to make sure people are using the right data plan, etc. would be based on that phone (on record) not the phone you're SIM is actually in. That's just how they currently operate.
    While your phone IMEI is in fact always transmitted to AT&T. They apparently still don't use that information directly for data plan enforcement.
    If you were "caught," they would simply insist you switch to the PDA data plan, and you, of course, play dumb and pretend you had no idea there was a different data plan.
    thanks, man! you are so smart!

I will be very dumb as you mentioned! I'm just curious, in case I lost my iphone within the 2 years, I guess AT&T should allow me to use whatever phone to finish the 2 years, otherwise they cannot force me to buy a new iphone, do they!
    about podcasts on windows mobile.

i currently use 2 ways to get these on my tytn2 [this should work on any windows mobile device]

1. on device downloads [use wifi for these]
    i use newsbreak from ilium software i am sure there are other rss readers capable of doing this also get what works best for you. the content is played via windows media player mobile.

you need these:
    an rss reader with support for downloading enclosures
    a mem card with enough space for your content

2. pc to device. last week i moved all my podcatching from itunes to doppler [it's freeware] and made auto playlists for the podcasts and sync via windows media player. get the rss feed for the mp3 version of the podcasts to be sure they play on your device. by the way this works with video podcasts as well as long as you get the wmv version of the podcasts [tested with tekzilla's video podcast]

you need these:
    doppler
    windows media player 11 on the PC side
    google [to search for the feeds]
    a mem card with enough space for your content
    Bny Castro

MTFBWY...
    my blog | twitter
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    This may be a a silly question, but my iPhone allows me to switch between wireless networks on AT&T (3G and EDGE). Does the Treo Pro also allow usrs to switch wireless networks?
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jctuchman View Post
    This may be a a silly question, but my iPhone allows me to switch between wireless networks on AT&T (3G and EDGE). Does the Treo Pro also allow usrs to switch wireless networks?
    My Treo 500 which ran WM6 allowed me to switch between 3G and 'GPRS', so I imagine the Pro would do the same.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast