Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1. Please compare with the UNSUBSIDIZED price of other phones. US$ 550 is a good price, compared to 700 - 800ish for Tilt or Diamond. It is even less than Touch Dual when it first came out.
    2. How many threads are wasted in this forum complaining about carrier junks from Sprint, Verizon, AT&T & Tmobile? How many asked to remove that from the ROM? With this phone you get NONE of that.
    3. You get no contract lock. The carriers do not dictate what you can use your phone for, nor can they punish you for leaving their service. Enjoy the freedom.
    I think one of the major reasons why they could afford to sell it at a higher price is that Palm is really eyeing the business enterprise market, rather than us consumers.

It does seem hard to pluck down $550 for a phone these days, especially today that you can buy Netboooks for $300. Just how many people buy the Tilts/Diamonds unlocked though?
    I haven't been following palm for very long. Do palm devices generally sell at the MSRP? Will vendors actually charge $550 for the treo pro?

A quick search on ebay shows many 800w's available for about $350. Considering the internals of these two phones are mostly the same, shouldn't the price be mostly the same as well?

Looking at the treo pro's specifications, it really is competing with last years market (it's certainly not at the touch pro or xperia level). Shelling out $550 seems a little steep when about $150 more will get you 30% more cpu speed, double the ram, a nicer overall package, etc.
    It's probably the price you pay to not have carrriers dictate the capabilities of features like Wi-Fi and GPS
    550 is a little steep for me too.
    I have no good reason to switch from ATT so the unlocked isn't that appealing.
    The only advantage is not getting all of ATT's bloatware.
    But then again, with that much internal memory, what's a little bloat?
    Usually we can save 200 to 300 when we renew our contract.
    I will most likely wait in agonizing pain for ATT.
    OK $550 is pretty darn reasonable for an UNLOCKED Windows Mobile PDA.
    In the past I paid $700 for the Treo 600 and Treo 650 for unlocked. Full price Cingular branded was $600, subsidized was $450.

I'm not saying $550 is cheap. But it's $150 less than almost all unlocked Windows Mobile PDAs.

I just bought an iPhone 3G last month for $500 (no upgrade discount.) I didn't like it, but I did. Point being it's still locked to AT&T, came with a 2 year contract.

The unfortunate thing here is that you're paying for a useless feature, which is unlocked (I mean useless to many, not all.) Most people never need an unlocked phone. Also AT&T easily gives out unlock codes these days without the premium price.

If I was planning to get this phone, I'd actually be pretty happy about the unlocked price being this low. I love unlocked PDAs. You just put your SIM in and don't have to talk to AT&T. You can keep your media net data plan too saving $180/year
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    OK $550 is pretty darn reasonable for an UNLOCKED Windows Mobile PDA.
    In the past I paid $700 for the Treo 600 and Treo 650 for unlocked. Full price Cingular branded was $600, subsidized was $450.

I'm not saying $550 is cheap. But it's $150 less than almost all unlocked Windows Mobile PDAs.

I just bought an iPhone 3G last month for $500 (no upgrade discount.) I didn't like it, but I did. Point being it's still locked to AT&T, came with a 2 year contract.

The unfortunate thing here is that you're paying for a useless feature, which is unlocked (I mean useless to many, not all.) Most people never need an unlocked phone. Also AT&T easily gives out unlock codes these days without the premium price.

If I was planning to get this phone, I'd actually be pretty happy about the unlocked price being this low. I love unlocked PDAs. You just put your SIM in and don't have to talk to AT&T. You can keep your media net data plan too saving $180/year
    taylorh,

I'm not currently an AT&T customer so I'm not familiar with the details of their data plans. Does the media net data plan provide all the standard capabilities (unlimited web, email, etc) at 3G speeds if you have a 3G device?

I'm curious because I've been a Sprint customer for a couple of years and their data plans are dirt cheap. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to switch to AT&T and spending $15 a month vs $50 a month would ease the pain. Thanks in advance.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    $550? I was thinking $700, so this is better than I thought!

Yes, the Media Net Unlimited or Max(whatever it's called now, LOL!) is just as capable as the expensive PDA plans. HOWEVER, it would be best not to let AT&T know you'll be using it on a PDA phone. Otherwise you may find yourself in a bad position. They could either turn off your data plan and make you pay as you go(the REAL nightmare) or switch you to a PDA plan, either without informing you first. I've seen this posted several times.

Your best bet is to get hold of a 3G non-smartphone to use for their records and then switch SIMs. Just don't go overboard with the data usage or they may take notice. You MAY need to enter the settings manually if the SIM doesn't automatically enter them, but those can be found probably on Howard or XDA forums.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeter View Post
    taylorh,

I'm not currently an AT&T customer so I'm not familiar with the details of their data plans. Does the media net data plan provide all the standard capabilities (unlimited web, email, etc) at 3G speeds if you have a 3G device?

I'm curious because I've been a Sprint customer for a couple of years and their data plans are dirt cheap. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to switch to AT&T and spending $15 a month vs $50 a month would ease the pain. Thanks in advance.
    You asked the right person.

Yes. "Media Net" ($15) aka "Media max" (when sold as a bundle of media net + messaging packages) is IDENTICAL to the PDA plans.

$15 Media Net (and media max budles)
    $30 PDA Personal
    $45 PDA Enterprise
    All 3 are the identical data plan for the most part.

The catch is that you are not allowed to get $15 media net for a PDA. According to AT&T "if it has a qwerty keyboard, it's a PDA" and PDA's are to have the $30 PDA data plan minimum.

So what you do is sign up for AT&T and take any flip phone or camera phone that is eligible for Media Net, and sign up for Media Net.
    Then go home and put your SIM in to the Treo Pro.
    Don't tell AT&T.

Does AT&T know? Of course your IMEI is transmitted every time you turn on your phone. But they don't actually use that information unless you were to call tech support and complain about a problem and make them dig for it.
    But as long as the last phone you told them you were using is the Media Net capable phone, they won't ever 'catch' you.
    Also, you'll never be able to call AT&T and tell them "I'm having a problem getting data on my Treo." You'll need to put your SIM in to your other phone and troubleshoot it with that, and call as if you're using that phone.

I've bought PDAs from AT&T, switched to PDA $30. Then a few weeks later called back and said "I'm changing phones and need to change my data plan" and read off my LGCU 400 IMEI to them. Then when I call in again later, they say "you have an LG CU 400."

It comes down to this. AT&T has really 3 "APN's" (access point names)
    wap.cingular
    isp.cingular
    blackberry.net

wap.cingular is what all phones, PDAs, even the iPhone. It's full internet access. No blocked ports. It is uses NAT (network address translation) so you get a "private" IP address as if you're behind any corporate or home NAT router.

isp.cingular is the default for laptop tethering software and laptop modem cards. I is just like wap.cingular. But you get a real internet routable IP address. The purpose of isp.cingular is for people who need to use VPN that might not be compatible with NAT. That is all.
    You do not need isp.cingular ever unless you use PPTP VPN. Period.

blackberry.net is for blackberry data.

All APNs are fire walled (block unsolicited incoming traffic) but do not block ports.

*ALL* data plans include wap.cingular (even the blackberry and iPhone plans.)
    $60 and higher plans with "tethered" or data connect (for laptop cards) in the name include isp.cingular (in addition to wap.cingular.)
    Only Blackbery plans include blackberry.net. BB plans include wap.cingular and some include isp.cingular.

So it all comes down to that APN. wap.cingular, and it's included on all plans.
    You can also tether your computer over wap.cingular. It works fine.

All AT&T data plans are listed here:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/business...comp-table.jsp
    But you won't see Media Net. It's because it's not called a data plan. It's called "media net" (laugh) and it's listed under http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...ia(TM)+Bundles
    This is very intentional because it's marketed to a different crowd and they don't want people to think it's a data plan.

So $15/month on the sly. $30 on the level.
    I used $15 media net for 5 years with Treos. Countless others have as well.

Additionally. $5/month for 200 text/mms messages. $15 for 1500. $20 for unlimited.
    If you do a family plan $30 gets you unlimited messaging for all lines (I have this on a 3 line account.)

I can't guarantee you'll always get away with using it. But I don't see AT&T having the motivation to enforce this better (it's enforced at the sales and CS level as I demonstrated.) The worst that will happen is that they'll switch you to a higher price data plan, which you could subsequently probably get away with switching back.

Too much info, sorry But now you know just about all you need to know.

Oh yeah, the "for the most part." There is this AT&T web site called media net (not the same thing as the data plan) and a useless video clips service called "cellular video". Access to this stuff varies a bit between data plans. For example, the iPhone does not have access, but media net plans and pda plans do.
    Regardless, the actual internet access is the same, just the APN.

One more thing. They won't just "turn off your data plan" and let you pay PPU (pay per use.) If they do, it's a "billing error" and they need to fix and reverse the charges. You were charged for data while unlimited data. Plain and simple.
    I have heard of people being blocked. They couldn't use any data. So when he called in they said "because you're using a PDA." But those people had the IMEI of their PDA on their account. So when AT&T did an "audit" they did so on the IMEI on record (not the one you're actually using.)
    So again, it's not totally without risk. But if you do it right, there's nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by taylorh; 08/21/2008 at 02:22 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    You pretty much filled him in on it all. You've switched SIMs a lot, right? LOL!

However, I've read people HAVE gotten caught. I don;t know what they did to get caught, but I've seen that before quite a few times.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You pretty much filled him in on it all. You've switched SIMs a lot, right? LOL!

However, I've read people HAVE gotten caught. I don;t know what they did to get caught, but I've seen that before quite a few times.
    Not as much as you I think I think you have way more of a crack-phone habit.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Yes, I have many phones.

BTW, AT&T tech support is somewhat ineffective sometimes. One of my phones screwed up on SMS/MMS and I called for help. I had to fix it myself after realizing that the URL for SMS needed to be entered correctly, but shouldn't tech support have known this??? They had me go through all kinds of crap just to fail, LOL!

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    taylorh,

Thanks for your detailed response. It seems like I could sign up for a two year contract w/ free phone with AT&T or T-Mobile (their rolling out their 3G network as we speak) and then switch the sim to an unlocked Treo Pro and enjoy inexpensive data (media net from AT&T or T-Zones from T-Mobile).

I really miss GSM as my 270 and 600 were both GSM devices and look forward to getting back to it. Thanks again.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    In the UK, unlocked phones are expensive
    HTC Touch Pro UK, QWERTY, GPS 514.99
    HTC Touch Diamond UK, GPS 429.99
    HTC TyTN II UK, QWERTY, GPS 459.99
    HTC Touch Cruise UK, GPS, Taster 364.99
    HTC Advantage X7510 UK, English, QWERTY, GPS 689.99
    HTC Touch UK 294.99
    I'm guess the treo Pro will be 500 = $1000 !
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Not useless at all where I live (Indonesia) , since a lot of people have more than 1 GSM SIM card and CDMA RUIM card. Especially the young ones. Gotta use the wireless carrier with the heaviest discount of the week. It's why in Indonesia the churn rate of cellular phone number is about 84% (84% of the number is discarded / not used again within a year or less, I may be wrong with the definition).
    Hence: LOCKED Phone -> Evil -> Slow selling.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post

I'm guess the treo Pro will be 500 = $1000 !
    Not quite Stig.
    It's Eur 300 and USD 550, so I think it will come out about GBP 275. Also it is being carried by Vodafone & O2, so you WILL have discount with a plan.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    Not quite Stig.
    It's Eur 300 and USD 550, so I think it will come out about GBP 275. Also it is being carried by Vodafone & O2, so you WILL have discount with a plan.
    I've already heard GBP 399 quoted for the unlocked version. There is no way there will be a direct USD to GBP conversion of the price!

You're obviously not familliar with the phrase "Rip-off Britain"...
    Last edited by Stig; 08/21/2008 at 05:50 AM.
    re: MEdia Net and Treo

The only way to get caught using the wrong data plan is if your data usage and message traffic go off the charts. That would get AT&T's attention and have them start looking.
    The point isn't how expensive it is. But can this phone be successful without being subsidized. Palm's best looking phone in years won't be carried?? This isn't great news for a company that needs to start selling treos. For those who buy unlocked, this is great news..but you are in a low minority of target users.

I think Sprint would've loved to market this one considering their woes. I like palm's progression toward design, but their marketing and execution still makes you wonder. Having a blah 800w and this much better looking one with better battery up their sleeves at same times makes you wonder too.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    In the UK everything is expensive

I've already heard GBP 399 quoted for the unlocked version
    Are you sure that's the unlocked price, I read that it was from free up to 399 depending on contract.

At least there will be two carriers in the UK taking it

Edit Just re-read it, it's up to €399 not 's
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast