Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    PSB22, I have 3 SIMs with no contract and even got new ones without having to pay extra.

It's usually only when you want a discount on one of THEIR phones that they demand a contract. Otherwise you can pay monthly without a contract, or at least you used to be able to do that.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    Yeah, cause in US there is only 2 GSM operator with only 1 of them doing 3G.

Another valid point.

So then why would anyone spend an extra $200-$300?

One person says because we're used to paying a lot more outside of US.

Another person says they don't want a contract.

Someone else says they don't want the bloat.

So far the only valid point may be what Phone Diva said:
    1. Att sometimes cripples the hardware.
    2. Att sometimes doesn't give you all the accessories - they make you pay for them separately.

The only other valid reason is they want it and can afford it.
    Nothing wrong with that.

I most likely will have to wait for Att. If they don't end up carrying it, I will have to wait until the price comes down, if it means I have to buy a used or refubished, so be it.

Berd
    I'm not eligible for an equipment discount anyways so this discussion is mostly moot to me. However, I do have ~$200 in gift cards for a retailer that I think might sell the unlocked Treo Pro so at least I'll save some $$$ that way. I do love credit card points.
    Quote Originally Posted by scubafan View Post
    Berd, where did you get a refurb 750 for that? I've seen USED 750 Treos going for much more than that on Ebay, and refurbs with little or no warranty (unless you pay extra $$$ for them!) for $120-790! Do tell! I NEED something to replace a nearly DOA Treo 650 with a non functional keyboard...

I've tried to wait for the 850/Pro to come out, but it looks like I won't be able to make it.

I also wanted to know what the RWE flash is that removed bloaware from your 750, and how to do it!

Thanks!
    Scubafan,

Are you interested in a used 650 in fairly good shape? My used 650 is sitting on my desk collecting dust since I moved on to a unlocked Tilt.
    Unlocked is great, I'm all for it.
    But the problem with this scenario is that even when you buy a LOCKED phone from AT&T (with a subsidy,) AT&T will give you the unlock code for the phone. All you have to do is ask.
    I got the AT&T Treo 750 from AT&T the very first day it went on sale for $175 with contract extension and mail in rebate. The very same day I called and got the unlock code. I didn't have to pay a premium for an unlocked Treo 750.

So if the Treo Pro was ever sold via AT&T, it would be say $300 to $400 locked to AT&T instead of unlocked from Palm for $550, and AT&T will give you the unlock code.

Obviously you get the AT&T rom, not the Palm standard one. But so far you've always been able to eventually put the Palm ROM on the AT&T models if you so desired.

I paid $700 for unlocked the Treo 600 and 650 each. Primarily because (A) I wasn't even eligible for an upgrade discount so I really had no choice, and (B) it came out an unlocked first and didn't want to wait.
    If I hadn't just bought an iPhone 3G for $500, I'd probably find a way to justify the Treo Pro.

I typically get a new phone each year. I pay full price every other year in between the every other year I get my renewal discount.

I know, I'm nuts. But I pay $180/month for my family plan bill every month, so somehow if I'm not using the phone I want, I'm just not getting my moneys worth out of the high price service I'm already paying.
    You know, if I'm going to pay an arm and a leg for gas, car insurance, and a car payment, I might as well be driving something I like.
    Last edited by taylorh; 08/25/2008 at 11:11 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I think one of the major reasons why they could afford to sell it at a higher price is that Palm is really eyeing the business enterprise market, rather than us consumers.

It does seem hard to pluck down $550 for a phone these days, especially today that you can buy Netboooks for $300. Just how many people buy the Tilts/Diamonds unlocked though?
    I tend to agree. You and I aren't the target market for the Treo Pro. It's big companies that can order phones in batches of 1000 (probably at bulk discounts) and dole them out to their employees are the market.
    i think 500-600 is just about right for an unlocked wm phone.

i never liked carrier branded mobiles no matter what OS they may have.
    Bny Castro

MTFBWY...
    my blog | twitter
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bnycastro View Post
    i think 500-600 is just about right for an unlocked wm phone.

i never liked carrier branded mobiles no matter what OS they may have.
    Yes, $550 for an unlocked phone is an okay price (esp in europe and asia).

I think the point here is that most people in the US are NOT used to paying for the full price of their mobile phones. That is why a lot of people are quite hesitant in buying this phone for their personal or business use.

What Palm will do is a gamble, we'll see later if it pays off or not. I think they are betting for the treo pro to take off in the other parts of the world. I wish them luck
    I'm a special case for sure-- I travel between the US and Japan 4 times a year (and now it seems I'll be living there and coming back to the States in the opposite fashion.) Throw my occasional forays into other places like Thailand, Kenya and Europe and you see my usage model
    So I have a need for an unlocked phone I can float between all these different places. I was thinking I could get away with taking my old @$$ Nokia 3650 with me, but Japan is the only place in the world that has no 2.5G GSM/GPRS/EDGE, only 3G WCDMA/HSPA at 2100MHz. So I gotta have something that does 3G on that network.

I know I'll have to spend some $ on something, and I don't mind doing it-- I work in the mobile IT sector, and have done more with my Treo 700wx than most have done with their PCs and laptops, so I want to stay cutting edge. Problem is, I see devices like the Omnia and Touch Pro that would be great except they leave the one thing out that makes them perfect for me.

Omnia-- lack of US 3G bands
    Touch Pro-- same thing.

And no, I'm not about to wait for a US version-- that will leave off overseas 3G bands... I need 3G in 90% of the places I go... why can they make phones like the tilt/kaiser, Cruise, etc, and just decide with these new crop of devices "let's just tie the 3G to a region like a DVD." Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The Treo Pro has the bands. but I'll be giving up the large storage of Omnia, and the VGA screen of the Touch Pro.

Will someone please make a device with all these things sometime soon?--and don't get me started on T-mobiles AWS band 3G throwing things off...

Ok, </rant> for now, let me go get my morning coffee so I can calm down.
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by canosatien View Post
    Scubafan,

Are you interested in a used 650 in fairly good shape? My used 650 is sitting on my desk collecting dust since I moved on to a unlocked Tilt.
    Canosatien, Hi, I don't know if the "private message" I sent made it to you or not, so I tried a different option I just saw & sent you an e-mail but it came back undeliverable.

Yes, I probably would be interested in your dusty Treo! :-)
    Has it had any keyboard issues? How much would you want for it, shipped to Saint Louis?

Let me know! My keyboard just quit entirely. I can receive calls but can't even make one, or do anything else! :-(

Thanks!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234